Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Out of interest what would be quicker an R32 with possible AMD stage2 or a chipped up 1.8T (i'm not talking about IHI kitted up one's). I'm thinking about this as i might be consider getting an R32 over my 1.8T.[;)]

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Another reason for this ?? is i was out in my mates 1.8T which has been ABD chipped and we trashed an standard R32 today. I was very surprised by this.

·
Registered
4,528 Posts
In an ideal world weather permitting IE no rain and loads of traction and only in a straight line the chipped 1.8t would win.

However it rains 80% of the time here so the extra traction of the R makes it alot quicker 80% of the time.

and if you count a to b across typical a and b roads and a few lanes the R32 will win hands down everytime against a chipped 1.8t

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm interested as I love the nose of the R32 & the look of it, but a lot of people say in standard form its gut less for such a large lump..

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
Depends what you mean by gutless.... it didn't recieve the amount of praise it did for no reason.

The only people that say its underpowered are those who are forever craving more power... as a stock car its one of the best you can buy really.

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
Quote: posted by Gti Fly on 11/03/2005 20:44:31

Chipped 1.8T (KO3s) will beat a standard R32.

Whats the 1/4 mile times like on an r32?

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Quote: posted by zekegti on 11/03/2005 20:47:03

I can't see how 240bhp and 4 wheel drive is gonna be gutless

Compared to a 3.2 BMW M3 these comments have come from owners and people in the trade that have driven them & i've asked.

I've never been in one to make my own mind up so my views are from other peoples points of views.

Plus i'd love a go in one but can't be bothered to waste some ones time to do so or go into a steelers & listen to the sales pitch.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Quote: posted by Gti Fly on 11/03/2005 20:44:31

Chipped 1.8T (KO3s) will beat a standard R32.

Stage2 R32 (remap and exhaust) will beat a chipped 1.8T - just

I'd agree, I've raced a standard R32 and beat it, but when I was at York last year, Tabs was there and he was running mid 14's I think and I was running high 14's.

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
Totally different engines, you cant compare the 3.2 M3 engine to the V6 of the Golf.

In V6 terms, the Golf produces about as much as it can really..... not many other current V6 models produce as much, or more. Only the Alfa V6's produce more, and thats normally 250hp tops.

It's a big engined Golf with wonderful noise and instant snappy throttle response, combine that with 4wd and a superb chassis setup, what more do people want?

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Isn't the R32 a lot heavier than the 1.8T with the bigger engine and the 4 wheel drive system which must slow it down a bit.

·
Registered
10,630 Posts
I think you're concentrating on too many negatives!

The R32 was the highest spec 'production' mrk4.

Out of the box it was good looking, had the best handling of any stock mk4, and had the best sounding engine too.

1.8T has always been underated by the public/press. With a few tweeks here and there you have a very fast and capable car!

Now if VW had produced the 1.8T like that from stock, then I'm sure cars like the R32 wouldn't have been so god like with the press!

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Quote: posted by Gti Fly on 11/03/2005 21:21:50

I think you're concentrating on too many negatives!

I don't mean to be just concentrating on bad point if they are bad points as i've said i've heard mixed reviews on the R32.

I've had this conversation with my mates that have got tuned up 1.8T & they keep trying to put me off wanting an R32. But like i said earlier i've never been in a R32 so i can't have my own view on the performance.

I love the look plus the noise which is enough to win me over, but i would like to think that spending the extra cash to get one is worth it for the performance side of things to.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts