Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ime more than happy with my GT TDI even though its a 110, but i hate driving my missus

crappy corsa, and weve both decided to trade it in get something 'special' to blast round in and keep

my trusty Golf for family duties (weve got a 3 and 6 year old)

Anyway cut to the chase, ime thinking along the lines of an Audi TT 225 maybe 3-4 years old

i think i could get a decent one for 12-13k they seem to be coming down in price lately.

Anydody had any experiance with them or raced one even

Any comments would be appreciated good or bad.

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
Don't like them, too poncy in my view and wayyyyy too many on the road
now.... they lost that 'special car' status about 6 months after its
introduction!

I'd personally go for a Honda S2000.... gorgeous cars and a superb engine.

I mean look, its lovely!!

Posted Image

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
I think Chris has hit the nail on the head there, also an S2000 would be a very nice choice.

IMO a TT couldnt look more feminine if it tried, not my cup of tea at all.

·
Registered
10,630 Posts
S2000 has always been one of my all time dream cars! I still think it looks great after 6/7 years!

You need to take one for a drive though, they are fun, but not sure if they are as good to drive as to look at though!

Oh and Audi TT, nice car, but as said above, too common and too poncy!

·
Registered
4,528 Posts
The TT probably drives great, but sufferers from a seriously bad image
problem, not so much a hairdresser car as a midlife crisis car the
S2000 is great but doesnt suit having kids, for that special something
weekender

I assume you need the occasional 2 seater due to the kids, So how about
a mercedes Coupe, I think a 300 something or other (I dont really much
attention
Mercs)
Posted Image

Or spend 18k/19k and get an Rx8

Posted Image

or if the 2 seat arent a problem get

Posted Image

Or if it must be VAG go for a late Audi S3

Posted Image

I made sure the piccie was of the sportec one as it looks sooooo nice

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
maybe i should have titled the post 'whats peoples problem with the audi TT' ??

i thought i might have had this response, why is it small coupe's / softops are seen as girly cars? Porche Boxter must be a girls car then?

What about the new mini, if ever there was a girly car thats it, but i remember a few people on this forum

swapping their mk4 golfs for mini's?! no offence intended!

We basically wanted something quick and stylish with 'just' room for the two kids, Audi TT fits the bill perfectly

i know there are alot of them about (maybe 1 for every 50 golfs you see haha) but the Audi build quality

reasonable economy for 225bhp performance, Quatro 4 wheel drive system, RX8 & S2000 are too expensive at the moment and

a mercedes 'coupe' isnt really my cup of tea just looks like an old mans car IMO.

I dont get his mid life crisis thing, any car that is considered a bit sporty with 2 seats or 2+2 = 'oh he's having a mid life crisis'

but if its a sensible 'GTI' 5 dr hatchback thats perfectly o.k????

oh well .......people are entitled to their opinion i suppose.

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
i'm with you spg.

i helped a mate of mine buy his 225TT as he knows sod all about cars [:D]

i'd never been in one before and i must say, they are pretty awesome. the interior is beautiful, although damn cramped at the back - which is where i was on the test drive!

it pulls very well but i just wish ian would get on a track day so he could learn to drive it properly [:$] [:D]

for a fun car that can be remapped to 270ish that has AWD you can't go wrong i don't think. although, if it was out of the TT and a boxster i'd personally go porsche every time [;)] but thats just me.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks blue v5, some positive comments[;)]

I agree, if i had the money a Boxster would be great but their a bit expensive.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Spg.... Ive had mine for 12 months now and I cannot fault it. The build quality is fantastic and it has proved a worthy replacement for my Golf Turbo. I think they look stunning and you always get people who jump on the band wagon saying they are 'hairdressers cars' [:#] [8o|]

For the looks, performance and build quality I think they take some beating.....

Poncy indeed......... http://www.uins.co.uk/audi/video/TT_windows_small.wmv [:p]

·
Registered
366 Posts
I had a 225 TT roadster last year and the car was great, not one single issue with it and the interior is possibly the best design of any car.The design is still fresh even though it has been around for a few years and yes there are lots on the road but there is lots of Boxsters, 911's,Elises etc around. For 15k you could probably get the later spec with RS4's, Xenons, and revised S line suspension which is what I had. The handling IMO is far better than the MK4 Gti (I had an Anni before and GTI T) and the performance is adequate. I have driven a couple of S2000's and really like them and came close to buying the new spec instead of the TT but what put me off was the interior quality/blandness/ rattles, lack of interior space, running costs as it needs a service every 9000 and is juicey and for everyday driving (unless you cane it) the TT just made more sense. I have a few friends with TT's and I can honestly say that none of them have had any issues with them. Try and get the Bose though as the standard stereo is not to hot.

Here's mine

Posted Image

·
Registered
398 Posts
Go for it SPG.......this will be my next car after my 1.8T.......couldn`t stretch the funds this time round (un-less I went LHD [N]) so the golf it was......the TT is an awesome looking car without a doubt [H] yeah there are alot about......but as mentioned before,that kinda says it all really....(same reason loads of other VAG and BM`s on today`s roads) not everyone can be wrong.....people will buy good cars at the end of the day,check out the TTOC Forum,some lovely cars on there.....and prob not a hairdresser in sight....[:D]

Nick

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
Used to drive a TT225 quite a bit...they shift and stick to the road like no car I've driven anyway - I did find the steering quite heavy in them though.

Apart from the drive, I just don't like them. Interior looks dated even compared to my A3 and no room in them (I regularly whacked my head off the roof when getting out of it and I'm not even 6ft).

Guy who owned it bought a 05 A4 Cab S-Line last week but from 225bhp down to 163 I reckon it's gonna be soooooooooo slow.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Guy who owned it bought a 05 A4 Cab S-Line last week but from 225bhp down to 163 I reckon it's gonna be soooooooooo slow.
That is exactly the same car that my TT was traded for, again great quality but it has to rate as the most boring car I have ever owned thats why it only lasted 3 months before I traded it. There is influences from the TT interior in the A3 and A4 it honestly has to be one of the best interiors.

·
Registered
4,686 Posts
Guy who owned it bought a 05 A4 Cab S-Line last
week but from 225bhp down to 163 I reckon it's gonna be soooooooooo
slow.
Positvely glacial! I drove a few A4 Cabriolets a few months back and
even the 3.0 was monumentally dissapointing; sounds nice and cruises at
90MPH happily, but slooooooow as hell compared to a 330Ci or even my
car. 0-60 in 8.7 seconds from a 3.0? Come on! Beautiful car to look at,
fantastic interior and build, but not a drivers car at all. Want to try
an S4 Cabriolet next though, see if the V8 solves the problem....

TT? Ignore the stupid hairdresser comments aimed at cars like the TT
and Boxster, its bollocks - who actually cares what anyone else thinks.
My criticism with the TT is the looks, which Im just not fond of, and
the 1.8T, which IMO is dull as dish water. Lovely interior, build is
excellent, badge is excellent, and handling/perfornace adequate - its a
MKIV underneath after all - but I just don't like the looks or engine.

A bit of an 'obvious' choice I suppose, but a good car none the less!

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
I had an Avus silver TT225 - very very nice car, stunning looks inside and out, quick (chipped v quick) and loads of grip

Not a great drivers car, dead steering feel but a great all round car if you want a stylish quick grippy car

Go for it, ignore the negative comments, they would probably say equally negative comments about Minis, Pumas, Boxsters, CTRS etc - all great cars...........

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
I personally would have no problem owning/driving a TT. It is my wife's favourite car due to the styling and i would be quite happy to drive one on a daily basis. I probably would not choose one if it was solely down to me, but i will never have that chance anyway.

My only question is, is it really big enough should you need to use it for the kids? Say your Golf is off the road for a week for whatever reason, can you really fit a car seat for your 3 year old in the rear and he/she be safe/comfortable/happy in it making whatever journey's you would need to?

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
yes i see your point about room for the kids.

At the moment that is the only reservation that ive got.

I could do with borrowing one for a couple of hours, try putting the kids in

the back and having a real good drive and see how much the kids are moaning[:'(]

To be honest ime more concrened about the room in the back than the wife, but then

again women dont often think of the practicalities do they[;)] or the cost[H]

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
I must admit I fancy a weekend car ( or would do in a couple of years...) and was thinking about a TT 225.
My criteria would be similar in that it would have to be:

• small and agile (RX-8 appears too big )
  • a 2+2 (kids are 2 & 5 - boxter/Z4 have only 2 seats)
  • have 200bhp+ and be rwd/4wd
  • not be a 3 series

So I'd be interested to know what you find out about space in the back and access for 2 kids?

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Richard W.. you sound like your in a similar position as myself family wise.

Yes a weekend blast in a TT sounds good fun to me, the great thing about it is that it

is a sports car IMO but its got the practicality of the 2 rear seats for small kids.

I would probably keep it 3 years or so until the kids are maybe 7 and 10.

I posted a question on the TT forum about the room for small kids in the

rear and everyone said their kids loved going in the back and they moaned when they had to

go in their parents 'sensible' hatchback !!'

All i need to do now is justify to myself that its not a stupid idea, the thing is you mention getting a

TT to family and freinds and they say 'what do you want one of those for' & 'what a waste of money'

Hell what do they know eh [:D]

Also they hold their value pretty well so apart from the running cost ins tyres fuel etc

they arnt as expencive as you think.

I pay 300 for my golf fully comp and they only wanted 390 for a TT 225bhp[:p]

·
Registered
86 Posts
Go for it! It's a great car that's just become "trendy" to diss.

225bhp, quattro, fantastic looks (well, to those who do still like them [;)]) - think about the initial magazine reviews, which were very favourable. Even the handling was considered sporty for a VAG car.

The S2000 is definitely superb, but you'd really struggle to find one for that budget. To be honest, when I looked back in October, I struggled even to find a decent TT for that budget. Hence bought an A3!

Be careful at that price range, though: either TTs don't wear their miles very well, or due to their initial trendyness they're often bought by muppets who batter them about. I suspect it's the latter..! Certainly all those <?15k I looked at were very worn and weary. I didn't look at any private sales though, admittedly.

I'd bet those that ridicule TTs have never actually owned one, or even driven one in anger?

1 - 20 of 34 Posts