Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im currently looking into upgrading my turbo but also on a budget at that and i wouldnt mind being able to challenge an R32 since some of them in my area see me as less since im not as a high status as the R32. I would prefer not to be looked down on simply because of a badge and would love to give them a good run for their money preferably being the car in front. What sort of power would a KO3s,FMIC,Remap and a turbo back be kicking out around? Or any other suggestions for combinations would be a help?Cheers

·
Registered
2,623 Posts
all that and a good ,map should see you around 240, you're problem will be launching without wheel spin especially in the wet.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thought of that aswell its bad enough standard in the wet! might have a look at race logics traction control but then thats more money out the budget

·
Registered
954 Posts
hi ya mate,

i too am in a similar situation in wantin to upgrade my turbo in order to thrash some of the big guns, but to be honest you are probably only looking at around 250bhp max from a ko3s with all the othere add on's. not sure if thats quite enough to challenge the R32 even tho they run 240bhp standard. have you considered the new GT28 Eliminator? Prob what il go for.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
how much trouble is the fitmet? i was planning on fitting the ko3s myself to keep costs down but i wouldnt mind having the 290bhp mark either ha. where about have you been looking for the gt28?

·
Registered
339 Posts
Don't forget you loose a lot of BHP when you add 4wd system. In my eyes the only problem you would have is traction around corners and in wet.

I raced a MK5 R32 in mine. from 20-90mph there was nothing in it.

Mid range is where it all counts.

·
Registered
954 Posts
that is also true, so goin for the powefull small turbo like the GT28 will give you al the power and torgue to beat most cars on the road including scoobys, R32's, boxters! im lookin at getting one myself after xmas. to check them out look on the ATP website.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
The mods you list combined with a good remap will see 230-240bhp as you have the large port head... I'd be tempted to do the manifold at the same time as they all crack with age and have about as much gas flow as a beer mat... ATP do a nice one or speak to Mike (Shock-XE on here) at AM Motorsport as he imports them from the States... they also do the AM04 hybrid turbo which will see power upto 275ish-Hp

A good re-map combined with a few bolt-ons will put you all over an R32 in a straight line.... forget it in the bends unless you spend some serious cash on the handling... contray to populal belief a well set up 2WD will handle every bit as good as a 4WD (remember the super 16's! all 2WD and spanked every 4WD on tarmac rally section!)

The R32 suffers from weight and drivetrain losses (roughly 90-100hp) but driver skill will always be a big factor (your racing on tracks [;)] I take it!)

Big turbo cars are different gravy.... IHI cars will see off M3's... monster setups such as Bills car and I think Eddy H has also gone down the Huge turbo path... these cars will real in 911's, 355... you name it... There is NO cheap route to Big Turbo territory!!

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Im liking all this feed back. I think il have a look at jabba sport again about that IHI if im going to end up spending around the region of 3G anyway then i might aswell go pretty much the full hog. As for handling badly need to sort that out,i miss the days of my go kart style mk2 cornering. If i get close to that then with 270ish + should easily see off the R32. Lets hope euro millions comes in tonight ha. Cheers once again folks

·
Registered
626 Posts
I would just put that 3k into a Jap Subura Impreza WRX - gives you some extra fun on weekends....LOL :)
No way go for the big turbo nothing is more satisfying than seeing the faces of them slobaru owners when you go flying past.[;)]

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
wheres fun in 4wd ha cant beat a bit of the understeer followed by a bit off tail whipping action. Would rather stay withe golf as its a lot nicer looking rather than just another scoob. Where did u get your IHI from?

·
Registered
3,642 Posts
Was another post on here recently with a fella asking a similar question about 1.8T v R. With my AUM i nice remap from revo or chippeduk will see 210 and fellas on here swear that it gives you similar straight line to the R32 cause of the weight difference!! Cant wait to see their faces when we pull away from the lights. Corners will be a no no though lol [cry]

Gofturboblue - You got LED rear light on your car fella, think i keep on seeing you round bexleyheath/crayford way!

Carl [:D]

·
Registered
680 Posts
monster setups such as Bills car and I think Eddy H has also gone down the Huge turbo path... these cars will real in 911's, 355... you name it... There is NO cheap route to Big Turbo territory!!
Moved on from IHI personally.. Mitsubishi hybrid on mine currently.

cheap and big power not too words I would use in same sentance

·
Registered
60 Posts
" Whats needed to beat an R32??"

A rusty old Caddy pickup with an ABF on throttle bodies does nicely against a Stage 2 AMD 32 [;)]

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
Im currently looking into upgrading my turbo but also on a budget at that and i wouldnt mind being able to challenge an R32 since some of them in my area see me as less since im not as a high status as the R32. I would prefer not to be looked down on simply because of a badge and would love to give them a good run for their money preferably being the car in front. What sort of power would a KO3s,FMIC,Remap and a turbo back be kicking out around? Or any other suggestions for combinations would be a help?Cheers
If you run around 250 bhp you will do very well against a standard R32... In cold weather there is nothing in it. R32's just launch off the line better [:$]

250bhp GTI's suprise quite a few cars on the motorways... I've played with a few Porsche 911's, Cosworths and WRX's and a couple of EVO's

Defo agree about the brakes as mentioned above...

·
Registered
10,630 Posts
What happens when the roads get twisty, wet, leafy, salty?! yeah 250bhp is well and good, until one of the driven wheels starts to spin and you're left waiting for traction to return, whilst the other guy has already buried the throttle 20metres earlier on!

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
I agree whole heartly on the wet,leafy and salty and even gravely! but unless you dont care if your car goes through the headge you'd be daft doing right foot action in these areas! But a correctly setup 2WD will handle every bit as well as a 4WD in the dry.... super 16's, F1, Porsche Cup cars, GT's all 2WD.

Turn the traction control off and hold on!....

1 - 20 of 29 Posts