Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Engineering consensus is, its answers a question no-ones asked.

Longevity is a worry and complexity too.

From personal experience it is a cracking little engine, but power can bettered by some 1.6TDi's in some cars nowadays & most modern 1.8 TDi's. Consumption of fuel is way worse than these..(even if you can get genuine mpg in the low 40's from the petrol engine..).

Tuning..not as straightforward as just a turbo engine I would guess, Insurance, check parkers out??

If you're wanting a petrol engine with power but small capacity no other large manufacturer is doing this combination, all of them are going smaller still capacity and turbocharging only.

The PD engine was ahead of eveyone elses Diesels at the time in both power / mpg, but the rest stuck with the Technology that they are all (inc VW ) now refining....

·
Registered
371 Posts
Longevity is a worry and complexity too.
I love the idea of over-the-top forced induction, but the stresses on such a small engine to get that kind of power always seemed detrimental in my opinion. Since these engines have only been around for about 5 years there isn't much information on how long they will last in the real world.

I'd also expect tuning opportunities to be limited, unlike the 1.8T which has plenty more to give, I can't really see the 1.4TSI stretching much further. However, if anyone cares to donate some forced induction kit, I'll see what it can do for my V5 :D

·
Super Moderator
15,990 Posts
the 140 and the 170 both map to the same - something like 205bhp iirc

economy is ok but nothing like the book tells you - I guess mid 30s ?

I have a mk6 1.4 GT, running Revo and it's great - running 211bhp but economy isn't good - I get anything between 14 in town to 45 driving like a granny with helium slippers on the motorway..

·
Super Moderator
15,990 Posts
nope...and giving it welly will see low low figures...I've just checked my receipts and I averaged 36mpg over the last 634 miles - the official combined according to VW is 44.8

·
Registered
331 Posts
1.4 Turbo Supercharged injection?

any good ? mpg? tuning? insurance? anyone know?
I am assuming you are talking about the 1.4TSI engine [brick] it's a very popular engin to have. it shrinks the engine but delivers very good performance.The Superchargers are good at delivery boost intantly because it is mechanically connected to the engine. However the superchagers are less effeciant at higher engine speeds. That is where the supercharger switches off and a more exhaust efficientTurbocharger takes over the boost. It's a good town driver as it will handle better at lower speeds but if you do country runs, a road, b road sorta thing then you will benifit.

the technology in the cars compared to the older engine specs before the TSI and FS1 cars provide a lower C02 output which would mean lower car tax. I mean it is totaly ridiculous that a 1.2TSI polo could output 102bhp. While delivering nearly 50mpg (Combined) and 118mph. Over the past 10 years my family and I have owned 6 vw and my step dad has driven every MK gti (Except the MK3 for obvious reasons) and The newer engine tech you see in veedubs now are fantastic but one thing you have to consider is how you drive it as TSI will have more stresses on the engine depending on how it is driven.

But I am sure VW would build and engine not to break under the slightest of stresses. Personally their engines are always underated and can do more than they say they can do.

[:O]anyway that's my opinion on them. Fantastic engine low c02 cheaper tax but brilliant performance. you would not think a 1.4TSI could deliver I think it is 170bhp .......I think. hope that helps

·
Registered
3,410 Posts
1.4 Turbo Supercharged injection?

any good ? mpg? tuning? insurance? anyone know?
TSI stands for Turbocharged Stratified Injection mate

and yes they are awesome! my dad has the golf gt tsi 170 remapped with superchips he now runs 205bhp..thats fast! no turbo lag because of the twin turbos good mpg! pretty easy to tune..i mean remapping it really makes a hell lot of difference..and you can insure it as 1.4 if am not mistaken

so if you are still thinking about it..then stop thinking and go for it! you are not gonna regret it..oh yes DSG rules!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts