Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
8,220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi

amongst other things, my .:R seems to have a fault with the CV thingamijig. Now i have no idea what this is, any one?

how many things can go wrong at any one time,

within the last month i have had the following issues:

chipped windscreen - needs replacing

broken side mirror - needs respraying

paint down the passenger side - needs respraying/buffing

exhaust/cat stolen - need new one

cv thingamijig - getting fixed under warranty

cigarettle lighter housing - need a new one

center arm rest - big bloke leaned on it and it snapped (22st)

mats - clips broke and now doesnt stay in place

now thats quite a extensive list for just one month

anyone think theres gremlins about?

funny considering my Honda had no faults whatsoever for 5 years on the trot without a service even

Hafizur

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
It's a constant velocity joint, which means that it enables your drive shaft to keep turning whilst the suspension and steering are working at the same time.

It's a series of bearings and cages which hold the drive shaft and gearbox output shaft/stub axle together.

The gaitor is a flexible rubber 'outer' which holds the grease in the joint. If the rubber splits you'll get grease all over your engine, wheels suspension, the joint could dry up and snap (no drive - much more expensive than just fixing the gaitor).

HTH

·
Registered
8,220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
oh ok

sounds pretty dangerous to me, thanks for the info. is this visible after taking the wheel out?

hafizur

·
Registered
918 Posts
You can see the outer CV joint behind the wheel hub assembly. The inner CV joint is attached up by the gearbox. CV rarely just fail without warning. They make a lot of noise as they deteriorate before breaking.

To be fair only the cigarrette lighter and CV joint can be apportioned to VW in any way. All the rest appear to be damage inflicted onto your motor by other, careless, people. Annoying as it is. I feel for you though. Things like this always happen just as you decide to spend ?'s on a mod.

Out of interest why was your Honda not serviced for 5 years? And who brought it from you?

·
Registered
8,220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
lol,

the honda wasnt serviced for 5 years cause i was too lazy, i actually still have it, its still driveable, just needs a new rear o/s brake caliper

apart from that its great, still have not serviced it and runs just as good as it did the day i got it, its a Honda Accord 2.0 IS. with CAI, Exhaust and Chip.

Yep, VW fixing the CV joint monday, took it in today. And the cigarettle lighter, well might have to give up smoking, works out a lot cheaper, can use the funds for more mods

·
Registered
8,220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
the noise that you get when your CV joint/gaitor fails, would that be a humming/whining sort of noise?

i have been getting that for about 3 weeks now

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
yup, bearing type noise - combined with a very rattly noise on full lock - that's the bearings trying to escape.

Oh and they can fail without warning - mine went in the outside lane of the M1 one night........[8o|]

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
With a split c'v gator you might get a slight tapping noise on acceleration or a clicking when on full lock.

A whining humming noise sounds like a wheel bearing to me.

·
Registered
8,220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
vw only changed the wheel bearings and suspension etc a few months ago, use to go clunk when i did a left turn

that was fixed, heard no noise for a while, and only three weeks ago a friend mentions that somethings wrong, hes hearing a weird noise, and when i got my brake pads fitted at BBT, they said the CV joint was leaking, so thought i contact VW, booked in at VW in bromley and when i got there they had no bookings, even though they had my car in the database (never been there before). didnt bother for a while, been two months since BBT, and only started making the whining noise about 3 weeks ago.

Took it to VW in the city/southwark and they said they need to change/fix the CV Gaitor, as i need the car this weekend for a rolling road (is it safe with a CV problem?), i told them i'll bring it in on Monday

And yes it does make a clanking noise when i do a full lock and even when i am not doing anything as in parked with the engine on, the noise gets louder and disappears, then it starts to come back again.

·
Registered
918 Posts
Richar W - I did say 'CV rarely just fail'.

Bromley VW knew about your car because VW have a national dealer database that stores the cars details on it - including what work has / hasn't / due to be done. Any dealer can access it. It is very helpful if you buy a VW privately and you want to check the service history and warranty / recall work carried out!

My family used to have a Citreon LNA (my gran brought it new in 1984) that was like that. We all used it. It would go down the road for its MOT every year and pass!! I think it finally passed away in 1999 whilst in the care of my sister.

·
Registered
34 Posts
the noise that you get when your CV joint/gaitor fails, would that be a humming/whining sort of noise?

humming/ whining sounds like wheel bearing to me.. i thought cv joint was a clicking sound when turning corners?

someone correct me if i'm wrong

·
Registered
34 Posts

humming/ whining sounds like wheel bearing to me.. i thought cv joint was a clicking sound when turning corners?

someone correct me if i'm wrong

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
Sorry to drag up an old thread, but, My NSF CV Joint went last weekend and as yet haven't had the time to get another one. Where is the best place to get one and what is the likely cost? I'm handy with a spanner or 2, is it easier to go to a scrappy and just get the whole driveshaft assembly? What is the likely cost of doing this?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts