Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't like Minis. In fact I hate them, just as I'm sure some people hate Audi A3's. I wouldn't lose sleep over it though. But someone did...

This is a transcript of what a UK-MKIVS member posted on a certain Mini forum after I voiced MY opinion.

(Just in case you're wondering, they started a thread on MINI haters as it obviously bothered them so much!!)

BTW - YOU'LL ALL BE KEEN TO KNOW THE MKIV HAS A VERY PLASTIC INTERIOR AND IS NO MATCH FOR THE MIGHTY MINI, according to someone on the forum in question anyway.

"Well, being Irish and owning an A3 and a radio DJ, I expect he may have issues with masculinity. I also doubt he could wear a pink shirt without fear."

It's funny cause I was called homophobic for saying a car was gay, I would've thought whether I'm Irish or not has no relevance and that IS in fact what you could call racist. Not that I care, I just think hypocrits are pretty funny.

This is what someone else said about the MKIV Vs the mighty MINI.

"Thats the biggest load of UTTER CHUD that I have EVER read ... What ? ... I mean this guy gets his kicks from a VW Golf Mk4 ... Wake up idiot ... This is the worst Golf ever made ... The interior is terrible, too much platic and space that is not utilised ... Horrible and sluggish to drive. Dont even look nice. I tell ya what if I met this guy I would smack him square in the face. Uncultured pr1ck !"

A smack in the face? Surely not from a MINI driver? These are the guys who have a little wave when they drive past each other, right? Surely he means a slap at the very most??? [:p]

Oh nooooo [:(] I'm so uncultured. Do you see anyone on here crying their little eyes out because someone on a car forum says the MKIV isn't to their taste?

Anyway, it brightened up my night, I'm a VAG man for many years, always been in the family, taking it so literally because an Irishman doesn't like a car is a bit silly IMO. [^]

Just in case you wanted to check, here is the original post which was on THIS forum.

Oh and I'm a "grade A fool" too. Why thank you!

http://www.uk-mkivs.net/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=42475

All a bit of light hearted humour by the way people [;)]

·
Registered
5,132 Posts
They sound friendly! I think the mini is a great car but after driving a Cooper thought it was very underpowered. Like the interior but didn't like the driving position.

·
Registered
782 Posts
have issues with masculinity

And hes the one behind the wheel of a mini !

LOL .....

Ive owned both. And can say that the mini is rubbish compared to my Golf MK4 GTI

And if you think the VW is bad pop along to a mini dealer! You wont get too much from them as the head is to far up their own a$$ !

I wouldnt by another Mini....... Very disapointing.

·
Registered
4,528 Posts
Im not the greatest VAG fan as pointed out before BUT I HATE MINIS how can he say the golf has unutilesed space ! the mini is the same size and you cant even get 4 adults in it! and yes I feel very camp when I have to drive my mums!

·
Registered
2,259 Posts
Damn, how did I miss that post!

Having owned a mini and more than my fair share of VW's I think I can speak on the subject...

I agree with all but the gay comment but thats only becasue I owned one and have peroxide hair so I obvioulsy thought I was very masculine driving mine [:D]

They are ok cars but theres way to much hype about them, every estate agent and geek seems to own one to make themselves appear cool. Can anyone remember the mini adventure advert with the bald guy and the comb over? I rest my case...

The build quality on the mini is appalling, the delears are so arrogant it's un true I mean they make BMW (as in reall beemers) sales people seem like down to earth people as opposed to the jumped up arrogant self fiddles they actually are.

The interior looks very good but is made of cheap hard plastic, they squeak and rattle even when new (although to be fair after getting worse for the first 2 months of owner ship it never got any worse) I used to thrash my car down some backlanes and bits of the dash would pop off!

They could do with a nicer power plant, you need to really thrash the guts out of the MCS to make any decent progress and therefore economy suffers - I used to only get mid 20's out of mine and thats from a 1.6 S/C engine.

Oh well each to there own I suppose, I wouldn't buy another one

J.

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
I don't think it did brighten up your evening did it really.

Oh, the "certain" UKMKIV member is me, yes me, "OXFORD" "DAVID" or whatever else you may want to call me.

The website is MINI2.com go and look if your THAT interested.

I am not ashamed, some people would like to see the views of other people, which I found quite offensive.

I am sorry this has all blown up and if you were man enough to respond to your PM, this would not have been dragged through the forum.

This whole thing has pretty much hurt your feelings for which I am sorry.

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
One more thing.

I dont have a mini yet [;)]

But when I do, I'll take you for a spin in it! I am not ashamed about wanting that car, or not ashamed that the last 3 cars I have owned since learning to drive were VW. I would love the new GTI, but I dont have the 20k for one just yet... perhaps one day.

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Oxford, it's not personal, it's just me having a laugh.

I can assure you no feelings are hurt, bruised etc

I thought the VAG guys would just have a good laugh at the interior of the MKIV being slated by a Mini driver.

This post is irrelevant from anything else that you feel the need to talk to me about.

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Ok, I understand.

Just so you know, I did not want to cause you hurt.

I indeed agree the interior on the mini is not comparible against the MKIV.

Don't really know what else to say other than "peace out".

Ox

- PS, I happen to like the A3 too, my dad drives audis.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Sheesh! All this fuss over not very much.

Oxford, I hope you get the car you want whenever you can afford or want to. You'll be a happy man when you do.

Irish I understand why you (along with many others) dislike the Mini. Stick with what you like and you'll be a happy man.

There. Everyone is happy.

[:eek:)]

Jeffers

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Good point... group hug....

jeffers, what you getting to replace the R32 out of interest?

I miss Witney sometimes, but I heard it is not the place it once was, if that makes any sense at all! lol

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
Got red and white one in my work that I occassionally drive, and the interior is not a patch on the MKIV. It is very hard and plasticy and the indicator and wiper stalks feel very flimsy. It is quite nice to drive apart from the hardish ride, but I hate the way other Mini owners wave at you all the friggin time, was OK to start with but either ignore them or give them the finger if its been a bad day. Although saying that a lot of them seem to be driven by tasty young females.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Oxford, if I sell the R I'll be looking to buy a Lupo GTI as they look like fun and I wouldn't mind having one for a while - I'm sure I'll look like a big Jess in it and have already been laughed at by my girlfriend and her brother, btu what can you do!?

Witney is definitely not how it was when I was out skating! I haven't been out in witney for months now, too many people doing the same things as they were 4 years ago!

Jeffers

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
I remember getting fireworks set off at us when we were on our BMX's nasty!! I heard of a big herion problem there recently.

Yeah, skating that was cool! - roller disco at the windrush!

Lupo GTI, nice! little monsters those are! black, silver or red? - not sure if they did any other colours

·
Registered
326 Posts
Heroin problem?! I haven't heard of anything, but it wouldn't surprise me to be honest.

Black, Red or Silver Lupo. It would have to be Silver for me, but a Black could look ok? Have you looked at prices of Lupos? For 12/13K you could an almost brand new one with AC, Xenons, Leather etc etc

Jeffers

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
I cant remember where I heard it, could be a load of rubbish! I knew a few druggies anyway.

Black would look mental mate.

Think I may have a test drive of one of those then!

·
Registered
2,259 Posts
Quote: posted by oxford on 08/12/2004 15:08:32

The website is MINI2.com go and look if your THAT interested.

Not really that interested just merely out of interest, when I joined there last year they where quite a nice bunch, very laid and in general one of the best forums I have been a member off.

But as soon a I decided to sell the mini and go back to a Golf I got so much stick from everyone telling me how cr4p the r32 was and that the golf was an old mans car blah, blah, blah.

I still see some of the south coast mini boys from time to time on the old socail - normally go karting. But it has turned a bit clicky over there, saying that I have heard people say the same thing about this place so it's probably down to not frequenting it.

I'll say this much for the mini2 forum they are a lot more socialable then here, the mini meets are every other month and they seem to have a couple of big ones in the summer that hundreds of people turn up to - we could learn something...

anyway good luck with the mini it wasn't my cup of tea but it may suit your needs better - you planning on gettting it chipped?

J.

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
I have found the members really welcoming there, but with any community there are always fanatics or die hards!

I have a friend that works for BMW so I can get the works kit done for cost price, so that will bring it up to 210 bhp! But I think I will do that after owning it for 6-10months to renew the fun factor.

Thanks for the luck, I got to find an all black one with chilli pack yet for 13k (ish) proving fairly hard! 03 reg preferably.

1 - 20 of 73 Posts