Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We've been offered a replacement car to ours 2001V5GOLF (as a good will gesture) by the dealer we bought it from - because of all the problems we've had and the fact it was an import, but they failed to tell us when we bought it.

Currently our car is in another dealers having the fans replaced to the tune of ?600. (now out of warranty)

The second option is that they offer us an extended 12 month warranty on our car from today ( still have to pay the ?600 though!)

So what would you do?

Opt 1/ 30 day trial on replacemnet car (same age + mileage) - try and find out if it's had the same problems as ours - and been fixed - ignition coils, lambda sensors, fans, etc

Opt 2/ Better the devil you know - keep ours - as we've had most things replaced under warranty and go for the extended warranty.

Option 1 seems a lot of hastle plus if we get a car with 50k on it - then thats 50k that someone else has done - and they may be a bad driver/ or cained the car... we know how we've driven & looked after ours...

Help

s

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
Who will the warranty be with ?

If the dealer admits that the faults that you have suffered are
unacceptable, then why don't they actually refund you the cost of
repair ?

I have also suffered the same faults as yours on my V5, which is of the
same year, though now has 80K on the clock, and haven't suffered
anything else major.

Also, if they have also admitted that they sold the vehicle as a
non-import, surely under the sales of goods act you can get a full
refund ?

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The issue I've been up in arms with them about is the fact the car is an import. They said that as a good will gesture they are willing to swap cars though they don't recognise that there will be a drop in value. By law they don't have to declare that the car was an import (I have checked - it was up to me to ask - not for them to declare)

They apologise for all the faults - but thats not what they are offering the 'other car' for... seems they are used to such problems as fans and coils going - and it's just an accepted given....

The dealer is ringing me back today....and need to make a choice. Tempted to just go for the warranty but am concerned that there may be damage as a result of the fans not operating properly - I think we ran it for a week or so before recognising something was wrong with them.....

Or am I best shot of her and try another car - guaranteed the paint job won't be as good as mine though...

s

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just had a chat with a technician who's replacing the fans and he said that the fans are the 'last resort' to cool the car down - in that there is obviously a cooling system too. The temp never went over 90 and we've only driven short journeys in the last couple of weeks - so no longer worried about 'potential damage'...and if something did happen the I guess the extended 12 month warranty (option 2) would pick it up...

What a dilemma....maybe we're coming to the end of our allotted problems and should stay with what we've got.

s

·
Registered
343 Posts
could someone explain to me the implications of owning an import golf? mine is an import, and i was worried about this, but everyone i have talked to from vw have told me that this makes no difference at all when it comes to repair costs e.t.c.

have i been lied to?

·
Registered
566 Posts
could someone explain to me the implications of owning an import golf? mine is an import, and i was worried about this, but everyone i have talked to from vw have told me that this makes no difference at all when it comes to repair costs e.t.c.

have i been lied to?
Hahah - if you think about it, every Golf has been imported into the UK! So they should be the same and hence cost exactly the same to service etc. I also believe that when part-exchanging, dealers who pay you less for an 'import' Golf, as opposed to a UK supplied Golf, only use this as a bargaining tool to fatten their own profit margins when they re-sell any 'imported' cars they have bought of customers. They are under no obligation to tell buyers of such cars that they are 'imported' but would have to reveal this fact if asked to do so. I have a friend who has now imported two standard Golfs (MkIV in 1999 and a Mk V in 2004) and these Euro-spec ones were better specced than the UK supplied models.

~ Maxie

·
Registered
361 Posts
The meat of the subject is in the detail.

A non-UK spec car could well have very different specifications accross the board and not all of them immediately obvious.

for example, the security features and alaram on a non-UK spec car are different, alot of the times this shows up in increased insurance premiums.

There is also the fact that you WILL get less for your trade in, as you SHOULD of paid less for it in the first place.

·
Registered
343 Posts
ahhh i understand now.

just for peace of mind. should my insurance company know the car is an import from the registration number?

its just when i bought the policy i never told them it was an import becuase i didnt think of it at the time.

·
Registered
566 Posts
ahhh i understand now.

just for peace of mind. should my insurance company know the car is an import from the registration number?

its just when i bought the policy i never told them it was an import becuase i didnt think of it at the time.
I would if I were you. If it comes to claims, insurance companies can and will use every trick in the book to avoid paying a claim. "you didn't tell us the car was an import which makes your insurance null and void" is the response I see if you had to go down a claims a route [:S]

~ Maxie

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So would you go for another car then AdeMcG?

They said they'd find an equivalent car and give us the maximum value on ours......

I know I may lose out in the long run (ie when I sell it) but I'm bending towards the offer of 12 months full VW extended warranty & 1 years VW breakdown assisstance.

It could actually end up costing me more if we end up with someones thrashed ringer....

s

·
Registered
361 Posts
Hmm, it is indeed a very difficult chioce.

However, having looking into the VW extended warranty in the past, and I am sure those on here who got the letter just before the warranty ran out offering the extended warranty and seriously looked at the policy, what it covered and what was "outside of the scope" e.g. not covered, will agree, it is not really worth the paper it is written on.

I would take the "other" - replacement car to be honest. But then it is not my position, a change is as good as a rest , so they say.

Even if the dealership were to commit to a resale value guarantee, where the cars value will be matched to a none import at some time in the future, if you traded it in with the same dealer, who is to say they would honour it ?

They have already been a little underhanded (ok they don't need to tell you it is an import) but really, it isn't good sales practise to make you feel like you got a good deal then omit a fundamental detail, like the origin of the vehicle.

you also have the insurance issue,...will it cost more ? Will they care?

Only a phone call will confirm that.

If you are happy with the car you have, then stick with it, if you can put up with the baggage.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Just phoned my insurance company - they said they'd know automatically whether it was an import or not when I gave them the details.

All I have to make sure of on my policy is: Make, model description & year.

s

·
Registered
87 Posts
I would'nt have thought that the re-sale value would be affected by much if at all. The main difference when importing vehicles is the warranty period. Volkswagen AG provide 1 year warranty ,which all cars worldwide recieve, but VW UK provide a further 2 years warranty only to cars sold in the UK.   I would personally go for the warranty ,it sounds to me you like the car you have and lot of the common faults have already been sorted. Why take a step to the side for car you know nothing about.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I wouldn't believe the temperature gauge. It tends to stay at 90
regardless. I hooked up a diagnostic tool to mine when the fans went,
and the temperature got as high as 99 degrees. Normally the temperature
doesn't go much over 93. That isn't going to damage the engine, but
there is the risk of damage to the compressor as some people have found
out the hard way. Having said that, I drove around for a few months
with the fan problem before I realized something was wrong and now the
air conditioning's still working fine a year after having the fans
fixed.

It seems that there are quite a few 2001 V5s out there with various
niggles, though there may be many happy owners who have never even
visited this forum. I'd have to say that if your car is basically
running fine apart from the fan issue, then you might be better off
accepting some sort of compensation for the grief you've had rather
than exchanging the car for another. It is possible to check that coil
packs are much less likely to fail by checking the date of manufacture
stamped on the top, but other engine management faults are much harder
to pick up on, though a lengthy test drive looking for flat spots,
hesitation, pinking, etc. would give you a good idea. Question is, do
you want the hassle?

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Today we shelled out ?601 to have the fans replaced.... and they did'nt even clean the car... anyway - I digress.

My lass found out that the car now has a code affixed to it starting with Pi.. which means personal import. So someone did import the car at a lesser cost - and we did buy it at full fourcourt vw prices. I think that is our problem - the money they made and the lack of choice we now have. I think we intend to keep the car way past 100k anyway - so it'll be worth jack s**t anyway in a few years time. But now my lass has got the bitt between her teeth (I think the ?601 shell out did it) and she's going to gun for more than 12 months & breakdown in terms of compensation.......

we'll see...

s

1 - 17 of 17 Posts