Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
81 - 96 of 96 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Without wanting to start any kind of arguement, it looks a little like the people who chose the MK V GTI over the R32 are getting shot down in flames for making that choice. There are questions on how people can make that choice when they havent drove the R32, well TBH the poll question never asked people what they thought was the best car to drive. The poll asked what would they would rather own and for many people including me, it doesnt come down to what is the best driving car, it comes down to other factors. I think its a little unfair for peoples answers to be dismissed just because they chose the GTI and havent drove an R32. I mean this in the nicest possible way and I risk a major flaming here, but it looks a little fanboyish from some R owners questioning people who chose the GTI if they have drove an R32. Its as if those people couldnt possibly know what they are talking about if they havent tried driving one. Just for the record, I have drove neither car, but my decision wasnt based on driveability.

No offence intended with this post, just the way I see it.

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #82 ·
no offence taken Dave m8, very good point, as I said earlier no wrong answers, a car ticks different boxs with different people, what is beautiful to one, isnt to another etc... I was just thinking about how people come to decisions on cars sometimes without anything but gut feelings... nothing wrong with that by me, bought both my cars on gut instinct!

·
Registered
4,528 Posts
.:R because in the long run and if you buy at the right price now (around 18 k) you will lose alot less money than the gti in the next 5 years aswell as that I would go for big engine torque rather than smaller engine turbo if I were to go for small engine turbo i would go the S3 route purely because I am of the opinion that if you have 200+ BHP you need either 4wd or rwd to be really effective.

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Quote: posted by Gareth_1.8T on 15/03/2005 10:53:27

The MKV gti is a special car. But for me, not quite as special as the R32.

Gimme the R every time.

Aye but I'd have one of the used R32's for about ?16K at the minute[}:)]

not seen a R32 for ?24K in the last 6 months......not even at dealers.....

·
Registered
31 Posts
Has to be the GTI for me - handling if far superior with the new chassis and engine is much easier to tune - as a result of having a turbo.

Thats said - the .:R is brilliant - but just bit long in the tooth interms of styling - MK4 golf has been around for nearly 10years now - ok 8 but you get what i mean.

·
Registered
440 Posts
I had this dilemma before I finally bought the MKV GTi.

I have driven both, twice out on the R and about four times in the MKV

I have no problems with the interior of the MKV, in fact I think it is a refreshing change from the Black interior of my MKiV

The ride in the GTi I found much better at no expense to the handling The R tended to transfer all the bumps and jolts through the steering wheel.

Performance wise I didn't think there was much in it. The wide spread of torque in the GTi is amazing. In fact this months Volkswagen Driver magazine tested the GTI DSG and said "It easily outperformed both the 180PS MK 4 GTi 1.8t and the 240PS R32 by quite a margin" although I didn't think there was much in it after driving them both.

The other thing I thought was that the R is really based on 8 year old technology although Volkswagen have done wonders to make the car as good as it is.

Whatever car you chose you will not be disappointed, everyone has different requirements, driving styles etc which will lean them one way or the other. This time I went for the MKV GTi [:)]

·
Registered
22 Posts
The new MkV Golf sure looks nice, but IMHO doesn't measure up to the R32 on the WOOF...WOOF scale!

The stock R32 looks & sounds totally awesome and still turns more heads than my Audi TT ever did. Mind you that could be that lush 3.2 V6 rumble ;-) Until the R32 came along I don't think VW had manufactured such an aggressive & muscular looking ("I want one!") motor since the Corrado model. My 95M Corrado VR6 still holds it's head high sat next to the R32 on the drive.

If the R32 didn't exist and I still had my TT, I don't think the MkV GTi would've had enough kudos to entice me away from my Audi brand, even though it might be several ?1000's cheaper. When exchanging my 225TT for a 3.2TT, the additional cost & terrible trade-in value sent me reeling back into the arms of my VW dealer to buy the R32. And what a car it is too!!!

I'm just dreading to think what the new R32 price will be (?25K'ish) when it's released. And by the time you've stuck a few toys on it (Leather, DSG, CruCon, SatNav, etc) you'll be knocking ?30K, which let's face it, is a heck of a lot of money for a Golf! And will it look as meaty as the MkIV? Only time will tell!

·
Registered
5 Posts
R32 for me for now. If the mk5 GTI is anything like the mk4 GTI (VW upgraded the GTI from 150bhp to 180bhp engines) the 2nd edition mk5 GTI could be the one to wait for. Maybe a 230bhp front wheel drive GTI from Wolfsburg? That would be fun [}:)]

81 - 96 of 96 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.