Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 96 Posts

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Working on the following assumptions, what would you choose:

a) You have ?24k to spend, so can spec up the GTI abit...

b) The GTI is brand new (obviously), the R32 has had 1 previous owner

c) You must buy a VW, ie. like a company car purchase policy...

d) You CAN modify it later...

e) Insurance isnt a problem!

·
Registered
44 Posts
I have the R32 and have test driven the new GTi twice now. The GTi is a really good car to drive but in 3 to 5 months time, they'll be like hens teeth...everywhere, whereas the R32 is that bit different. Also, in DBP the R32 is still a head turner, two years on. Just my 2p's worth!!

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Its a very good question and one I have asked myself.

I think I would lean to the GTI at the moment as it is a newer car. But when the new R comes out I am sure that will be a different story.

Fuel wise the GTI would be better

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
Quote: posted by Blue Devil on 15/03/2005 10:03:42

I have the R32 and have test driven the new GTi twice now. The GTi is a really good car to drive but in 3 to 5 months time, they'll be like hens teeth...everywhere, whereas the R32 is that bit different. Also, in DBP the R32 is still a head turner, two years on. Just my 2p's worth!!

I think you've got yourself a bit confused there mate! Hen's teeth means rare, not common.. Just thought i'd mention it! [;)][^]

·
Registered
77 Posts
GTI for me, simply because I dont think I could park an R32 on the street or in a car park without worrying about it. I think the GTI blends in a bit easier. The R's thirst for petrol also swings it towards the GTI for me. In a perfect world where there was no car crime and where fuel cost the same as it does in the U.S. I would take the R every time though.

·
Registered
15 Posts
R32!

The fuel may be more expensive in the R, but the difference in fuel price will be less money than the depreciation in price of the new GTi over the next year or two. Well, I guess it depends on how far you drive but that would be the case for me.

·
Registered
685 Posts
Just think how fast the GTI's are gonna be with a remap! I voted GTI - im a sucker for forced induction [:I]

YOGi

·
Registered
116 Posts
I'm still waiting for the Mk V to grow on me, so its the R32 in every category for me! Performance, looks and stealability all in one package :)

·
Registered
385 Posts
I voted Mk5 GTI. It is a new car; there is an immense satisfaction from that alone lol Having just seen the colour-coded one in members ride, in black it looks great [:)]

Coupled with a remap, its superior chassis it will likely see off the R32 on the straights and around corners. I love the look of the anthracite grey R32 you have btw - but a change is nice.

Oh and I don't know if this is dodgy, it is an oldie 2001 Y Reg, but nonetheless...

Check this out: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=9837&item=4535370396&rd=1

That is the cheapest RHD M3 I've seen! High miles though, but still it is marginally quicker than an R32 [;)]

Good luck in your decision!

·
Registered
666 Posts
I see a pattern here - 1.8T drivers voting for the GTI and R32 owners voting for their own car!

R32 interior is about 342342 times nicer than the GTIs and as for a remap, lots of people don't want to mess with a brand new ?20+k car.

When will people realise that?!!

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
Would be the R for me, its such a special car, but if my wallet could speak he would go for the gti!- good thing he can talk then.

1 - 20 of 96 Posts