Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was on my way home with the missus from a new years get together at my mates at about 3am this morning. We were sitting at a red light with nothing else on the road other than a Skoda Superb taxi that passed by, when I turn around and see this dodgy looking guy (you know the type Adidas tracksuit filthy white trainers) walking towards the car waving at me to put my window down. Thought to myself no chance, gonna just ignore him until I seen he was carrying a short plank of wood, then thought "bugger this" and shot off through the red light.

There was nothing else on the road, and am sure there are no cameras of any sort there, but am now a bit paranoid about going through the red light.

Just thinking what would you guys have done in this situation?

·
Registered
6,213 Posts
I would have driven off too...

But turned straight round and driven at the little cretin pikey and chased him down the road/pavement until he either cried, got away or got hurt.

Go back see if the lights have cameras. You would have known I suspect as they double flash. I wouldnt worry personally.

·
Super Moderator
15,990 Posts
i would have done the same. About 6 or 7 years ago, we were being given a lift home by a friend and his girlfriend and were stopped at a red light behind another car at around midnight. The lights turned green and the car in front didn't move so my mate give a little " beep" reminder ( not a blast of the horn ).

The other car pulled away.

About 100 yards later, it braked, the doors opened and 5 blokes got out and started running back down the road at our car, hammers in hand.

Needless to say, a hasty retreat by us was made, before chucking a U-ey and driving off. I was not the only one having an "ut-oh" moment....

Morale, you just never know what nutters are about - its best to get out of there ASAP

·
Super Moderator
8,768 Posts
Would've definitely done the same! You just never know these days.......

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
Doen the same here too, best protection yuo have is your car, NEVER get out and remonstrate with anyone, no matter how brave you feel, just drive off.

Would have been worth mentioning this incident to plod though, for two reasons, firstly if you do get a ticket for jumping the light, secondly, just in case chav did it to someone else.

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Would have been worth mentioning this incident to plod though, for two reasons, firstly if you do get a ticket for jumping the light, secondly, just in case chav did it to someone else.
Did think about heading to the police station to tell them but then thought knowing the police they'd probably do me for admitting going through the red light and do nothing about the wood wielding scrote [:mad:]

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Think anyone would have done the same.

I for one always keep the car in gear at traffic lights/junctions, leave a decent gap between me and the car in front and always look for ways out and signs of trouble. If nothing else it passes the time away. [:p]

Had one person grab a door handle at some lights once, hopefully I dislocated his arm, last i saw was him rolling around in the road behind the car.....

·
Registered
246 Posts
Yeah, I wouldn't have thought twice before putting my foot down, even if you get done for jumping the red light (which you shouldn't do because you weren't flashed & if even if you were should be able to appeal), I'd rather have that than a scrote smashing my car up with a plank. Sometimes if I'm driving through an area on my own that looks a bit rough I lock the doors just on the off-chance that someone tries to open 1 of them, I don't know how I'd react so I'd rather never find out

·
Registered
359 Posts
would have done the same myself - if anything comes of it re going through i a red light - just say you feared for your life - and your car - tho i would have thought of the car first

·
Registered
918 Posts
I would have sat there with a brown stain in my jocks and then floored it.
Hven't you missed the word fresh from between 'a' and 'brown'

I would have just driven off too. TBH, I don't like violence, I'm not very good at it and I'd need to be left no other options before resorting to it.

Unless it's kicking 'The Walrus' in his blubbery stomach, 'cause that's just fun for all the family.

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
I would have done exactly the same.... As has been said already the best defense you had at that time is the tin box around you ..

Jay

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
would have done the same mate , wise decision , especially as when theres one jakey loser thers usually a hoard of mates not far away

1 - 20 of 26 Posts