Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The thing is guys I really want a 1.8 turbo, I started looking and cant stop.Bad move I know. I was going to go for a test drive. I am so glad I didn't. It makes it easier on me if I don't just yet.

I have a 2.0 gti which I have put a shed load of money into, the thing is I love how my car looks and feels but I am just need a bit more ooomph out of the car. I am woundering what you would all do in my situation.

The cars got on it,

• R32 kit ( except skirts )
  • R32 wheels
  • R32 trim
  • R32 seats ( which no way am I selling, they are real comfortable)
  • Carbonio
  • Hid kit
  • Milltek r32 exhaust

I want to keep as much as possible like the stuff that will fit the turbo.

MY QUESTION IS....................................WHAT WOULD YOU DO ??

SELL AS IT IS AND BUY PARTS AGAIN OR SELL WITH STOCK PARTS ON KEEP THE GOODIES?

Please relpy guys I am really stuck.

Dale

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Sell with stock parts and keep the goodies for your turbo.

I don't think those mods will increase much to the value of your car if you keep them, even though you have clearly spent well over a grand on it.

Thats my opinion, which doesnt count for a lot ;)

·
Old School UkMkivs Member
2,166 Posts
If you want another mk4 then keep all the bits you can and sell the car as near to standard as you can get.

I'm sure you'll save money in the long run that way and you'll definately save yourself the hassle of sourcing another R32 kit.

Never know you may even find a silver 1.8T and you can just bolt all your bits straight on

·
Registered
6,661 Posts
Hi,

Selling parts, youll probably lose money. However to get a decent oomph you will need to spend quite a hefty amount on some engine enhancements. Not sure what you can really do the the 2.0, i know for a fact that 1.8t is alot easier to mod.

It comes down to personal choice.

Personally i would flog it and get a real r32 !

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think I can manage to keep all the parts apart from the exhaust unless you think it may fit the 1.8t ( only up to the cat of course )

I want the 1.8 turbo so I will be able to tune it and not really have any thing holding me back. As you say the 2.0 isn't practical for what I need right now.

The only problem with the R kit is that it is painted in Satin silver, I will have to paint it if I say buy a reflex silver golf. If I keep if I will have to repaint it won't I.

How much do you think a 2.0 gti with 74,000 miles, In immaculate condition would go for?? I want to be able to get a 2001 onwards 1.8t thats all.

Dale

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
If it's a 99T - ?3800 private, ?3,300 part ex

up to:

if it's a 04/04 - ?8000 private, ?7,400 part ex

These are very rough prices and I'd knock some off all for haggling etc.

I part ex'd my 2001 Y 2.0 with 64k on the clock in Nov 05 and got ?5.5k for it which was a good deal then.

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
dont forget IF you kept the R32 bumpers for the next car, and its not the same colour, then costs for this will be high. Stripping old paint off, and fresh paint and fitting. Paint aint cheap.

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
At best about ?3,900 Private and ?3,400 P/ex, but that is top book price I would be knocking about ?300 off each.

A quick look on Autotrader and there are a couple with good spec and condition and similar miles to yours going for ?3495 and ?3700 private sale.

·
Registered
954 Posts
Y not try and find a company that might turbo charge the 2.0litre engine! then that would defo give it some ooomph! Ask michael at impossible performance in gillingham, kent he does big turbo conversions im sure he'd relise the challenge of converting a 2.0l.

·
Registered
6,661 Posts
Y not try and find a company that might turbo charge the 2.0litre engine! then that would defo give it some ooomph! Ask michael at impossible performance in gillingham, kent he does big turbo conversions im sure he'd relise the challenge of converting a 2.0l.
thats what i would do.. lose less money and less hassle.. TUNE IT UP !!!

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Cheers for the replys guys

I looked into the conversion. It turned out to over ?2500!!! and then you have the insurance premium rise. I might as well buy a 1.8t.

I might give the stealers a ring and see what they will take p/x.

Any idea if the milltek will fit on the 1.8t?

Dale

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Cheers for the replys guys

I looked into the conversion. It turned out to over ?2500!!! and then you have the insurance premium rise. I might as well buy a 1.8t.

I might give the stealers a ring and see what they will take p/x.

Any idea if the milltek will fit on the 1.8t?

Dale
I

I have a feeling stealers are funny on how many miles a part x car has done. The VW place I went to do not take any part x's with over 60K miles. as an example of prices I went to look at a (53) MK4 GTI (it was nice, top spec) at my local VW stealers and they wanted ?12,500.00!!! after I looked into finance it would have been silly money.

·
Registered
246 Posts
It's rare a mod adds much (if anything) to the value of a car, it's pretty much always dead money so with that in mind if I was you I'd make the car as standard as possible, sell it & put the mods on the new 1. If you get a different colour car & need the mods repainting it shouldn't cost too much if you get them all done together, just get some quotes

·
Registered
3,041 Posts
i'd put the 2.0 back to standard inside and out.

buy a 1.8t of any colour

flop in the r32 perches, trim, wheels and HiD kit.

take the milltek round to my local garage and get it fitted plus whatever extra bits required to make it work.

sell the 2.0 milltek bits on ebay along with the carbonio

get the wet and dry paper out and start rubbing down the bumpers ready for a new coat of paint!

sorted!

jammy

1 - 20 of 26 Posts