Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
That time to again change wiper blades! I went for Bosch ones last time and they are a bit ***** and didnt last very long.

Any recommendations?

·
Registered
6,626 Posts
AeroTwins? Bosch again though. I've had Bosch old style wipers since January, starting to judder now, though I haven't polished my windscreen for a while. My mate with a Mondeo said he gets through a set of Bosch wipers every 4-6 months as well, thought Bosch was supposed to be good? I used my original wipers from the factory for three years [:|]

You could try PIAA silicone wipers, don't expect them to be cheap though www.piaa.co.uk and buy from www.priracing.com (top service).

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Aero wipers are looking tempting.

Thats quite funny because I also thought the Bosch ones would be good.
Might go for Champion as they were really good on my last car.

Are aero wipers hard to change to?

·
Registered
521 Posts
You should be looking to change your wiper blades at least annually anyway to maintain the best performance.

The Bosch ones might not have lasted that long this year as they are quite soft, and on the hot days that we had this year do tend to stick to the glass, then on use then can start to pull and tear/rip. Always best to release then manually before you get into the car.

I have always found the Bosch one to give the best cleaning/longevity, whereas some of the others on the market, might last longer, but judder a lot and don't wipe so well as the composition is too hard.

3 years is a LONG time for wipers to last, and I bet they weren't really working properly when it came time to replace them.

For what wipers cost, change them annually, especially as they are really a safety item.

Aero is probably the way to go though...

·
Registered
6,626 Posts
They did work - I would not tolerate streaking and/or juddering - but it took an inordinate amount of regular glass polishing and blade cleaning to keep it that way (bear in mind that my car is kept in a garage when not in use) and then the rear blade started to tear.

Anyway, I have a nice set of AeroTwins in the boot [:)] Just on the lookout for a Polo rear wiper as well now.

However, I am mildly concerned at how easy it is to remove AeroTwin wipers [:|]

·
Registered
3,596 Posts
I used my original wipers from the factory for three years [:|]
[:O] & they still worked ?, saying that, I guess if your milage is low you can get that type of life out of them.

I replace my Aero blades every other service [li][st]

·
Registered
6,626 Posts
Yeah, I think I only clocked about 20K or less in the first three years, it's kept in a garage when not in use but towards the end I was having to polish my glass like you wouldn't believe, to reduce juddering (which was not severe but irritating enough). I'm going to change my wipers a bit more often now. MarkGTI just fitted his Aeros, and had his original factory wipers since 2000! [:|]

·
Registered
104 Posts
Yeah, I think I only clocked about 20K or less in the first three years, it's kept in a garage when not in use but towards the end I was having to polish my glass like you wouldn't believe, to reduce juddering (which was not severe but irritating enough). I'm going to change my wipers a bit more often now. MarkGTI just fitted his Aeros, and had his original factory wipers since 2000! [:|]
It's true. I had the same wipers since I bought the car from new! I did put gel that you use on rubber and plastic to keep them nice and supple [:)].

Aeros are much better, in terms of both performance and looks, and I can highly recommend them.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Do the Aerotwins fit on standard 'old fashioned' wiper arms, then? Somebody told me the arm was different because of the fitment.

·
Registered
6,626 Posts
No you need to change the arms as well. A while back there was talk of retro-fit blades that would go on the old arms, but to be honest it's not that expensive to change the arms. Eurodubs did a group buy recently, new arms and blades for ?40 all-in [Y]

·
Registered
354 Posts
Must agree about the Bosch wipers, were good for a while and then started to deteriorate very quickly, about 10 months.

Does anyone know if you can get good quality refills??, as i know you can get the cheep ones that you cut to size and slip in.

[:^)]

1 - 17 of 17 Posts