Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Banned
4,570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just been searching the old threads and im baffled!!

i want to clean my car with some proper materials but there is a vast range to choose from!!

i have a diamond black car and i am not one of those people who spend 8 hours cleaning the car (i am very lazy!!)

whats the best combo to go for? ie wash, wax etc

thanks guys

·
Registered
346 Posts
Meguiars gold class shampoo

Meguiars stage 2 polish

Then seal it with meguiars gold class wax brings my diamond black 1.8T up a treat.

·
Banned
4,570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
lol - now the confusion begins!!

Tombee - did you apply claybar 1st? i must say your suggestion sounds like i do not have to do much work!! ie spend hours on it!!

·
Premium Member
25,430 Posts
One every four months:

Jet Wash

Soak in really hot Zymol

Jet Wash again

Wash with Zymol

Rinse with Jet Wash

Dry with Meguires towel

Clay Bar

HD Clense

3M Hand Glaze

Zymol Carbon Wax

Every week:

Jet Wash

Soak in really hot Zymol

Jet Wash again

Wash with Zymol

Rinse with Jet Wash

Dry with Meguires Towel.

That did me, body work always looked the part and shined after every wash. Bit long winded but you have to put the work in to be rewarded.

My next car will be having the same treatment, however I'll be using a different method for drying - one that doesn't involve me touching the car [:D]

·
Registered
3,596 Posts
You have the advantage of having a clear top coat, us with regular black have it hard [:(]

I suggest the following:

Maguiars scratch-x : Removes the swirls

Maguiars Deep crystal polish : gives a good shine

Maguiars NXT Tech wax : Seals the paint & adds to the shine

P21S Cannuba : Gives the most amazing shine ever

(I now use Pinnicle souvran cannuba instead, but its a US product)

When applying/removing the wax do it in movement which the air would flow across the car, not circles, or the swirls will return EG; The bonnet, you would go from grill to windscreen.

Take a look at AUTOPIA.COM for loads more detailing tips [:D]

·
Registered
129 Posts
R44ms - never used a claybar. Only Zymol Cleaner wax. for the bonnet etc that gets the bugs! Thats it.. all i used!! Don't see the point a new car. Maybe a year old. But the Cleaner wax helps! Just good layer build up of wax helps!! Get out there and do it now before snow comes!!

·
Registered
277 Posts
You have the advantage of having a clear top coat, us with regular black have it hard

I think all VWs, including solid black and all the other non-metallics, now have two pack paint - a coat of colour, followed by a clear top coat?

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
Quote: posted by R44MS_K on 30/11/2004 10:24:23

lol - now the confusion begins!!

Tombee - did you apply claybar 1st? i must say your suggestion sounds like i do not have to do much work!! ie spend hours on it!!

I've tried these Claybars and I don't like them, if you do alot of motorway miles then I guess they would help.

I normally spend about about one and a half hours to wash and wax my car.

This is what I do:

Meguiars gold class shampoo in a bucket with water that is hot but not to hot that your are not comfortable to leave your hands in the bucket (helps to keep you warm as well, at this time of year).

Dry car with Meguiars Syn Leather/towel

Meguiars NXT Tech wax mixed with Turtle "colour magic black" wax.

thats about it...

I have tried more expensive wax's before but I have not found anything better than Meguairs at that cost. I have bought some Pinnicle Souvran Cannuba Wax and received it two weekends ago and this stuff is great but the cost does add up somewhat. It's going to be my new summer wax.

I tried this stuff and if you bodywork is in great/good condition then it works very well. It's like rubbing butter onto the car (feels very smooth) and once dry wipes away with no dust and not a lot of elbow grease. Finishing result is the best I've seen.

Heres a picture of TRAX 2004 (September 2004). I cleaned the car the day before and then drove to Silverstone and this is what it looks like.

Posted Image

·
Registered
666 Posts
RS Golf - Nice car!

I simply get an army of East European slaves to hand wash mine every week at the local hand wash place.

?6 and it's gleaming, and more most importantly in hard water London, properly dried!

Polish it about every other month too with...ermmmm.... polish.

·
Registered
277 Posts
I think all VWs, including solid black and all the other non-metallics, now have two pack paint - a coat of colour, followed by a clear top coat? NOW have being the operative word......

When I say now, I don't mean it quite as literally as that! As far as I'm aware, this has been the situation since before the introduction of the MK4.

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
I've also used Swissol and even though I last waxed it in early June my car still beads the same amount as the day I waxed it.

If I open the window after it has been raining on the car when it's parked I will flood the car with water - that's how much the rain water sits on the roof of the car from beading.

That to me says it's protecting the paint!

·
Registered
277 Posts
I've also used Swissol and even though I last waxed it in early June my car still beads the same amount as the day I waxed it.

I've been fancying trying Swissol (3 black cars at our house - 2 metallic) - which wax in their range do you use?

1 - 20 of 37 Posts