Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got the gearbox out and still need to install new clutch. While I have easy access, should I replace the odometer sensor (1J0 919 149A) and reverse light switch (02T 945 415) and clutch T-piece breather (1J0 721 468 C). When I ran VagCom before taking everything apart, there were no errors from these sensors.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Northpole, I figured you'd say that. Do these commonly break down?
The reason for considering replacing these items is that shipping from Europe to Australia is understandably expensive (about 160 GBP) so when I order stuff (I'm ordering stuff for our other cars) I tend to get other bits along the way. Those 3 items would cost me about 50 quid and take little time to do. But as you say, might leave them be....

·
Registered
10,721 Posts
They don't really break, you might needing an o_ring on the pipe that connects to the bleed nipple t- piece of the clutch but that usually is it. Unless you struggle to get it back in and you accidentally break it... one can easily be taken from a scrapped car though as long as it is the same type gearbox.

So if you don't need to buy a new one keep in mind that when you put the gearbox back on it can accidentally break and that the o-ring might want replacing.

The other items usually don't break even if you were to manhandle the gearbox into position.

·
Registered
V6 4Motion
933 Posts
I did end up replacing the seals on my clutch bleeder due to a leak (and removing the clutch delay valve while I was at it) - the seals are P/N 1K0 798 741 I think - have a search and it'll get you in the right ball park. One other thing to check would be your clutch slave as it's not external - any sign of weeping, etc.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Neutron, I will replace clutch slave cylinder as its part of the LUK kit. I don't know much about cars, so will leave clutch delay valve. Thanks, I'll keep on looking for the seals.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts