Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm finally planning on upgrading my trusty Mk4 after 10+ yrs [cry] to a Mk5 GTi ~'07 reg later this year. Not decided on colour yet, would like white but they seem to be higher priced than other colours.

What should I look for in a Mk5 GTi eg. type of air con (mk4 had 2), I understand engines are the same except for the 30th/Pirelli? anything else?

·
Chief Troll
15,990 Posts
At last... someones seen the light!!!!!

Here is the MK5 price (PDF download) list which gives you all the spec details on the GTI. All GTIs come with Dual Zone climate control as standard.

If your looking at 07 plates, the biggest thing to check apart from full service history is if the cambelt has been changed and they are due early this year.

White worm on the Monza II alloys is a really pig, and they are hard to refurb.

Usual wear and tear to be honest... these are pretty trouble free.

The DSG boxes have been known to fail but they usually go pop early doors so secondhand GTIs with a few miles on should be 'bob on'

Rich

·
Registered
461 Posts
mk5 gti, only came with climatronic air con.

usual stuff, check for service history receipts, etc. usually on a longlife service, so it gets serviced when the car wants, the harder its driven the more often it will want servicing, a good indication of a trashed car.

Check the a/c does work, as car a/c is usually not used correctly and costly to repair, I should know im a air con engineer.

·
I ate a big red candle !!
10,384 Posts
I think i would go for the Ed30 if i was to get a Mk5. I do like the Mk5 GTI though and theres a black 3 door in my local VW for £11k which is tempting.

·
Premium Member
6,442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
There's a few on autotrader for £11k, don't really want to go over that, I'm a few months off buying but think it's got to be the Ed30 in white (or grey [:cool:]).

·
10,384 Posts
Grey [Y]

·
10,384 Posts
Rich, what kind of mpg you get on the Ed30?

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
Has anyone got a link to the options list on the Ed30?
I think it was the same as the regular GTI except that leather and heated seats were not available as the standard upholstery was heated half leather. Unfortunately the centre armrest was not standard so it pays to find a car with one factory fitted.

·
Registered
971 Posts
as above mate check the a/c, check the steering for creaks at low speeds and check the front wings for paint blisters as the odd few are starting to rust now (thru fault not age).

other slight issues include faulty 3rd brake light, corroding wheels and software updates needed on some earlier models.

other than those mate get 1 and enjoy because they are great all rounders [:D]

·
Chief Troll
15,990 Posts
Yes.. but they are like hens teeth, and people tend to hold on to them! [H]

These cars sell even before they hit the forecourts so if you must have a white one, be prepared to wait.

Rich

1 - 20 of 22 Posts