Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Premium Member
25,430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well the time is drawing closer. Got the near enough enough wonga to get the next 'car'. This will be a second car for me, sitting in the garage for most of the week, while jalopy gets the miles chucked on her (can't devalue anymore than it has done lol)

Original plan all along was to get an Anni PD - thus donning my sensible cap and taking it easy for a few years. Afterall I've chucked some silly money at cars in the past so this would be more of a weekend car, taken to shows, the odd blat and *hopefully* shouldn't cost me too much money as any mods I'll do will be within a budget. The advantage with the Anni is if I pick up a low mileage example it shouldn't loose too much. Seeing as I'm buying outright I want to make damn sure I don't pee my money up the wall.

But...

I've had itchy fingers while searching the 'Trader and keep mullin' over different cars [:^)] I had the thought of getting a 1.8T anni - they seem to going for cheaper than the diesels - and if I'm doing limited miles it wont be that much more expensive to run. Then the thought entered my head that if I'm going down the 1.8T route (again), why not get an S3. I know that would be like dangling a carrot in front of a donkey - only a matter of time before its modded....

....And then theres a little voice in the back of my head saying to get another R32 [:cool:]

Help! [:cool:]

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
Don't know what the budget is, but I'm guessing around 10-12k with the cars your talking about apart from the R.

If it was going to be a car sitting in the garage only to come out at the weekend and I had 12k to play with, I'd probably try to pick up a nice S3 off ebay (in yellow! lovely!) and then spend the rest of the budget, should leave you with about 1.5k on a 13k budget on re-mapping and making it 'yours'. I only say the S3 because your already looking at 210-225bhp over the 180bhp Anni, with a stage 1 remap, your looking at 265bhp, which is faster than an R, but doesnt quite have the appeal of the R in terms of wow factor to look at. An S3 looks like an A3, and R32 looks slightly different to your ordinary golf.

·
Registered
5,132 Posts
Personally I'd stick with the original plan. It will hold its value
better than any of the others you've mentioned, even the R32 in the
long term I reckon. You also know that once you start modding you won't
stop. A remap, fair enough but as soon as you think of anything else
that will be it. The S3 whilst a lovely car is getting a little dated
and with the new S3 just around the corner I would expect their value
to drop even further.

At the end of the day though you'll enjoy whichever one you choose. If
you're going low mileage though I would think about a petrol anni. You
know what both are like and though the diesel is good, the extra power
you can get from the 1.8T will be worth while.

·
Premium Member
25,430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well budget can stretch to R32 money, if need be. And I know the state of play with 'em so the prospect of owning one would be preferable over say the S3 Not driven an S3 yet so the whole thing is subject to a drive but I do fancy the idea of one. Of course mods would follow but I wouldn't need to touch the budget [;)]

Not looking for the wow factor btw, I would be keeping things understated - don't want a repeat of the jaunts just before I got rid of the '32 [*-)]

And before anyone says it, no I won't stretch to a MKV GTI - at least not for a year or two - aint paying the premium for one now only to loose money in the long run!

·
Premium Member
25,430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
Yellow cars are lovely IMO! Different from the normal silver or blue you see on the road. You see them standing out when your in a queue of traffic and thats the car that grabs your attention, just because it stands out and it's different.

Those blue/black seats are also lovely...I'm tempted myself now! [:S]

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
As Nick has already said, the Anni sounds the best option for you,
whether in Petrol or Diesel form. An S3 is the non-logical of them....
certainly no more fun than the Anni and not near the levels of the R32,
but costs are still very very high for the year and mileage of the cars
on the market.

Ever considered a CupraR? Can pick em up for about ?12k now on a 52 or
03 with around 20k on them. Great cars for the money, but how much
would they loose in the coming years, thats the thing.

·
Registered
942 Posts
Tabs if you are going to be using the Rover everyday and saving your 2nd car for the weekend and your own time then i wouldnt see any point in getting a diesel, youve wanted an anni for a while now and you know how good they look standard never mind a few mods. Get a 1.8T Anni in red and let the fun begin. An S3 is lovely but an anni has got something speacial about it that makes it that little more appealing. [;)]

Just my 2p's worth [H]

·
Premium Member
25,430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yup considered the Cupra R. Had a spin in Zybod's Cupra R (Revo'd etc.) at the last NW meet - was very impressed with the ride and delivery. But for some reason the Seat just doesn't do it for me (no offence to any Seat owners!) and I'm leaning toward wanting something German'esque, if that makes any sense?

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
Well I think any of those cars would leave you a happy man.

150PD Anni - You wouldn't be buying it for the fuel savings, so make sure you buy it for the driving experience (if that's what appealed - I still remember AmD RR day[:D])

1.8T Anni - Yes all the appeal with a different characteristic. You'd end up spending more modding I reckon.[:p]

S3 - You are the MkIV Kaiser mate. But if you have to defect, good call! Build quality in another league. More tuning potential out of the box. What's Stewart done so far?[:^)]

R32 - I reckon you've ticked that box. If it was so great you should have kept the old one. Where's that "bruised" similey now? [:S]

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
From the choices you've listed I'd go for either the Anni 1.8T or S3. However as this is a weekend only car I'd also look at less practical options like the Lotus Elise or Honda S2000. It really depends if you're looking for driving pleasure from your weekend car or are more interested in modding and the show scene.

·
Registered
646 Posts
From the choices you've listed I'd go for either the Anni 1.8T or S3. However as this is a weekend only car I'd also look at less practical options like the Lotus Elise or Honda S2000. It really depends if you're looking for driving pleasure from your weekend car or are more interested in modding and the show scene.
Having read through the thread Eddy has a very valid point. Exactly what I did with the elise. I couldnt rationalise a practical choice, and wanted something impractical, fantastic to drive and no depreciation. The elise has lost next to nothing and the performance has been brilliant with no mods at least up to now....starting to think of stuff now though.

My situation is slightly different though with a company car being replaced every 2 years with a new one, so reliability, practicality, cost are completely irrelevant - 3000 miles (elise) 35000 (Bora) last year.

That said a tidy Anni or Cupra or even another R would tick lots of boxes though[:)]

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
I think you should go for an Anni 1.8T as it?s not a cost factor as its only for weekend us so petrol isn't an issue which takes the Diesel out of the scenario. You have had an R before so go for something different. S3 I think is over priced IMO. [:#]

1 - 20 of 54 Posts