Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4,743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's what happeded - the closest I've ever come to a crash in my Golf.

It happened at the top of Birdlip Hill near Chelt/Glos (for those of you that know it.) The dual carriageway goes into 1 lane as you reach the top of the hill, then a 4/5 metre wide kerb appears on the right as there's a junction and the cars coming from the right have to cross the line of traffic coming down the hill, then wait in the middle and join the traffic who have just come up the hill. That was me, just got to the top of the hill. I see this Civic R (say no more) sitting at the junction on the other side of the road. I think it's ok as he has to cross the oncoming cars first, then he'll have to wait in that middle bit of kerb for me to go past as it'll be too close, then he'll join the road behind me.

Oh no he doesn't! The idiot (and that's as strong as I'll go because of the rules of the forum) decided to go. I was at 60mph and 40-50metres in front of me, all of a sudden, he'd just pulled away. I couldn't believe it. I stamped on the anchors and actually rose up out of my seat as I was pushing so hard. Meanwhile, he moves over until he's virtually on the verge, obviously thinking "Bugger, he's gunna hit, I'll try and move over" Fat lot of good it did, there was no room. Anyway, I just miss him, I couldn't see tarmac between my car and his - it was that close.

I was fuming and shook my head at him to which he gives me the two fingers and speeds off. Being a chipped TDi 90, I couldn't keep up. Although I did overtake him later on the dual carriageway and I got his number plate (name and shame - VU05NXO, Grey)

I think I'll go to the police tomorrow. All I want really is for them to write a letter or call him to make him aware that what he did was noted. Also, if he has an incident in the future, my complaint will be on record.

I was once called by the police for cutting up another driver (the person making the complaint forgot to tell the police there was a pile up right in front of me and there was nowhere else I could go!) but do you think they will actually do anything? Or just pay lip service to me?
I really am passionate about this because a lesser car would've hit him - and what if it was a mother and baby - I know, what if, what if, what if...??? But I'd feel better knowing something was done. (I won't deny there's an element of revenge too [:p])

·
Registered
365 Posts
You got his number so report it, there seems to be a new way of driving now, that Give Way signs mean other driver will give way to you!!, I drive daily on a duel carraige-way that ends just after a junction, so popping along at 70 ish and every time some muppet pulls out infront of you, lights flash brakes to the max and they give you 2 fingers for driving up their rear end, wtf, I once got caught by a Bus and my XR2 was dead, I was in the inside lane, another car passing me, nowhere to go except park into the bus!!!!

·
Registered
159 Posts
Well done for getting the plate number definately report that fool. There are so many twats out there that just dont think about safety and welfare of other people on the road and that think they can get away with anything. The other week my girlfriend told me about how she and my liitle one were nearly involved in a smash up because of someone thinking that they had right of way, the car in question smashed in to a clk and drove off.[li] Guy in clk apparently was .... well you you know what you would be like.[8o|]

·
Registered
8,220 Posts
Sort of reminds me of yesterday, twice people pulled out of a give way when i was about 5-10 meters away doing 30 and 40.

Any lesser car and that would of been a collision, and all i got in return were two fingers.

We should be allowed to mount cannons at the front

Hafizur

·
Registered
194 Posts
I nearly got hit in the side by a BMW X5 the other day

He pulled out of a junction on my right, on his PHONE!

Got his reg and was going to report him, but then I thought would the police actually do anything, and I came to the conclusion.........would they hell.

·
Registered
752 Posts
Feel for ya,

Sounds all to familiar, [:mad:] seem to get it almost every day these day's on the drive to work (or back).

As above, all you get is a glare/finger/or abuse...

·
Registered
283 Posts
They guy probably made a mistake and underestimated the fact his car is not as fast as he thinks! It's his attitude that is the big thing. If I had done something similar then I would just sink in my seat and apologise.

I've only ever reported somebody once and that was when he intentionally tried to run us off the road for no apparent reason other than we were going a bit too slow for him. I wasn't actually driving which looking back was a shame cos I'd have gone after him. The police tracked him down easily and paid him a visit. Not sure if it worked but if I had the police at my door for my driving it would make me think twice before acting like a c*** and thinking there'll be no repercussions. I was also told I could press charges but decided it was too much hassle and just to give him a scare.

·
Registered
287 Posts
I drive assuming everybody else is an idiot... it's the safest way. s!
Probably the best way!!

Only problem with reporting him is, that it'll be your word agains his, unless you had a witness/passenger. That'll help alot.

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
I drive assuming everybody else is an idiot... it's the safest way. s!
Motorcycle training teaches you this. On a bike, it doesn't matter who's fault it is - you're dead or injured anyway.

Early hours + tricky junction + nippy motor = chances are he'll try it on!

·
Registered
8,293 Posts
I shouldn't really be telling you this but as far as I know the child support agency can track car numbers now so if you know someone who works for the civil service they might be able to give you details.
Baz

·
Registered
4,743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Only problem with reporting him is, that it'll be your word agains his, unless you had a witness/passenger. That'll help alot.
Good point, though I don't think 'my word against his' will come into it as I'm, not pressing charges or anything.

I shouldn't really be telling you this but as far as I know the child support agency can track car numbers now so if you know someone who works for the civil service they might be able to give you details.
My dad's a copper and never helps me out. Nevertheless, I might put the feelers out!!

Thanks for all your replies guys. I'm going to the police later and I'll let you know what they say!

·
Registered
918 Posts
I'd report him. Going by your discrption of events if it was a genuine mistake then fair enough (although his actions as described suggest not) but if it is symptomatic of his general attitude towards driving then at least it would be noted against him for future use.

Driving on the public road - I agree with Steve and talk-torque. Drive as if everyone's an idiot. Cyclist (motor and pedal) can attest to this. It doesn't matter who's in the right. The rider ends up in hospital.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Benjie,

I drive that road twice a day on my daily drive to London and back from Cheltenham! It is such a dangerous hill, merging area, junction it's unbelieveable!!!

Anyway, this is a VERY long shot, but do you know the Highwayman Pub, probably another 3 miles or so down the A417, on the other side of the dual carriageway?

The only reason I ask is that there is VERY OFTEN a Silver Civic Type R parked in the car park there...........Possibly 05 reg too!

Just a thought anyway!

Joe

·
Registered
4,743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for that Joe, although when it happened, he did follow me all the way up the dual carriageway to Cricklade (we all got off there due to an accident at Blunsdon) . I'll check it out though!

·
Registered
990 Posts
The fact he gave you the finger suggests he knew he was in the wrong and is reacting to you pulling him up for his atrocious driving.

I would have followed and stopped him for a quiet word or two. Have done it before, it's amazing how it can humble folk, them being given a talking to for their behaviour.

·
Registered
372 Posts
I remember a few years back I pulled out to overtake on the motorway and for some unknown reason made an error of judgement as the guy in the outside lane, trying to get past me was a little to close for comfort - he must have had to brake hard, I got passed then looked over to apologise which he accepted with a wave and smile - so much better than some obsene jesture!

·
Registered
54 Posts
Mantamad........wish there were more people like you out there. The way I look at it is we all make mistakes from time to time and it takes nothing to put your hand up and say sorry but means a whole load more.

BB

1 - 18 of 18 Posts