Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
21 - 40 of 41 Posts
Alright once it gets up to speed? Really? Lol. You mean once it's up to 70mph it'll stay there? Because with that little power it won't be going much faster anytime today!

If you're getting a better car as soon as next year, don't throw your money away on mods that, in truth, won't make the car noticeably faster at all.

Tony
I can vouch that my sdi has no problem staying at 70mph and 90mph for that matter! its no race-car thats for sure but for your normal driving on the moterway it certainly does not have any problem keeping up with other cars on the moterway that are driving within the legal speed limit.

I think with the mod stuff its each to their own, certainly there is no point even trying to make the car faster with performance mods as the sdi won't really benefit from this but you can make the car look better if that makes you happy.

Unfortunately not all of us can afford to purchase/run the top spec golfs when we have kids to feed and mortgages to pay.

Asam

And if your kids and mortgage are, quite rightly, your utmost priority, why on Earth throw money down the drain on mods? With the price of fuel not going down, that just seems silly.

Tony

Logical point there Tony.

Although for the price of the SDI, the TDI back in the day wasn't much more expensive!! SDI is only for Taxi Drivers lol [:D]

And if your kids and mortgage are, quite rightly, your utmost priority, why on Earth throw money down the drain on mods? With the price of fuel not going down, that just seems silly.

Tony
I know what your saying Tony, I understand your point of view. There are subtle mods that can be done for little money and i mean the only one I did was to change the steelies to alloy wheels and then for only 15 inch alloys (I needed four new tyres so thought pay £100 extra and get some alloys). I guess its each to their own, I will be getting something better in the future but at the moment its serving me well.

I certainly wouldn't advise anyone else to buy an sdi over a tdi but for me back then with my situation it seemed to make sense.

Asam

Logical point there Tony.

Although for the price of the SDI, the TDI back in the day wasn't much more expensive!! SDI is only for Taxi Drivers lol
I think back then when i was looking they were about £1k more which was not the problem for me but when getting the insurance quotes those were the problem. I had lost all my no claims so thought group 4 insurance £115 tax and I get to drive a golf (albeit a slow one!) so kinda made sense then but yes nowadays don't think there is much difference anymore, TDI's the lower spec ones you can get similar insurance quotes.

If I didn't have the family to think about wouldn't mind an R32 or 1.8T (although wouldn't make sense with the fuel for me). My brother has a Mitsubishi Galant VR4 Twin Turbo (260bhp), and was thinking of getting one too but doesn't make sense for me on the fuel costs so will probably get another diesal albeit with a Turbo next! :), You can get decent Galants quite cheap £3k but maintenace like all fast cars is quite steep.

Asam

Those galants are beasts!! Utilise the power of the turbo my friend. I love mine...just driving through town...car behind me right up my chuff, chavvy little 306 all his mates thinking they're hard...boot it, bit of smoke, lots of poke, 2nd gear wheelspin and bye bye. only thing that compares to a turbo car is a jet plane.

Those galants are beasts!! Utilise the power of the turbo my friend. I love mine...just driving through town...car behind me right up my chuff, chavvy little 306 all his mates thinking they're hard...boot it, bit of smoke, lots of poke, 2nd gear wheelspin and bye bye. only thing that compares to a turbo car is a jet plane.
They certainly are! i was astounded when my brother took me for a spin, they are a nice size car too, spacious and big enough for a small familiy, hmmm... gonna have to think of ways to persuade the other half, hmmm... maybe working from home? or selling the house! lol!

He's keeping a look out for me, you have to get one in decent condition cos most of them have been ragged [:(]

Asam

They certainly are! i was astounded when my brother took me for a spin, they are a nice size car too, spacious and big enough for a small familiy, hmmm... gonna have to think of ways to persuade the other half, hmmm... maybe working from home? or selling the house! lol!

He's keeping a look out for me, you have to get one in decent condition cos most of them have been ragged

Asam
Depends how much you want to spent mate. I mean you can buy a mint evo 7/8 with 400+bhp for under £8k these days. If you settle for the Scoobaru Impreza you'll get 300bhp thereabouts (normally more) for around £5k..

There is also an RS6 saloon on Ebay for £7k, full red heated leather, FSH, sat nav, etc - only down side is it's a cat D, looks like a rear end smash..been repaired but rear bumper and boot are not a very good colour match, a quick respray and job done!! 545bhp for £7k are you looney?

Not sure on price of the Galant but I bet it would be more to insure, maintain and repair than an Evo or a scoob so the initial purchase price difference might not always be the main thing to look at... as we say in the IT industry, TCO (total cost of ownership) is king!

vr4 is prob my favorate car ever just can't afford the petrol. They just look so angry
Petrol is the killer in this car, my bro is only getting 25 miles for a tenner at the moment (and thats if he is lucky! [:O] )

but its a beast of a car, a silent sleeper as they call them most people don't know how powerful they are and get surprised when you bomb pass them.

Maintenance like all fast cars is steep, needs servicing every 6000k and my bro has already spent quite a bit on his to keep it running in tip top condition.

Asam

He's keeping a look out for me, you have to get one in decent condition cos most of them have been ragged

Asam
Depends how much you want to spent mate. I mean you can buy a mint evo 7/8 with 400+bhp for under £8k these days. If you settle for the Scoobaru Impreza you'll get 300bhp thereabouts (normally more) for around £5k..

There is also an RS6 saloon on Ebay for £7k, full red heated leather, FSH, sat nav, etc - only down side is it's a cat D, looks like a rear end smash..been repaired but rear bumper and boot are not a very good colour match, a quick respray and job done!! 545bhp for £7k are you looney?

Not sure on price of the Galant but I bet it would be more to insure, maintain and repair than an Evo or a scoob so the initial purchase price difference might not always be the main thing to look at... as we say in the IT industry, TCO (total cost of ownership) is king!
Theres a 97 reg Galant VR4 Twin Turbo going for £2700 on pistonheads with low mileague so you can get them fairly cheap but as you said not sure on the maintenance costs, can be quite high if the car has not been looked after well, the automatic gearboxes are known to be problematic too.

I think for me personally it would be silly to go for such cars due to my circumstances but a fast turbo diesal thats what i would prob be considering next.

Asam

Hi mate I have had a sdi over a year now, but I never knew of these forums till my brother told me, I am also lOokong to kit Ma sdi up but don't know were to start! Can you please help me out? I am also from birmingham

21 - 40 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.