Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK - I have 25k approx to spend on a new company car...

Currently have:

2002/52 Audi A4 Avant 1.9TDi (130bhp)

7.5J x 17 kraft design Alloy Wheels

Metallic Paint - Atlas Grey

Fascia & Door Inlays - Aluminium Visor Grey Finish

ISOFIX with Air Bag De-Activation

Manual Side Window Blinds

Sports Front Seats

Sport Pack

Symphony II RDS Cassette with front load 6 CD changer

What do I go for!

It must be diesel, would prefer auto box as I do a lot of miles and MUST have cruise control. Looking at the new A4 Avant 2.0 DSG S line but open to other ideas, I quite like the idea of an Octavia with all the bits but as the estate isn't in the showrooms yet hard to tell.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
BMW 320D

Volvo S40

Volvo S60 D5 SE

C Class Merc

I think I would go for the Beemer if you want some driving pleasure, or an S60 if you want luxury and toys.

Just noticed - does it have to be estate?

·
Registered
82 Posts
That's certainly a poasition I can relate to - I'm also looking for a new company car - which has to be diesel, would be good if an auto and preferably an estate....

I currently have a 320d Sport Touring. Its a great drivers car - but its tendency to tramline due to big wheels is a pain at times, it can also be a bit harsh on poor roads (like most of the ones I seem to drive on in Lincolnshire!) and its a little small now the kids and dogs are growing!

You've got the standard options from Audi, BMW, Jaguar and Mercedes. I like the look of the Audi but the S line will probably suffer from some of the things I complain about above. I like the look of the Jag - but then you start to think that its based on the same floorpan as the Mondeo. Maybe the Mondeo should be considered - it meets all your criteria and you could go for the 155bhp 2.2TDCi with top spec trim. You could also look at the V50 but that a bit small for me.

Then there are the outsiders. The Skoda is one I'd look at (particularly as if I underspend my lease allowance they give me the cash!). You could also look at the new Seat Toledo - not so much an estate as a big hatch, but again a bit different. The new Saab 93 wagon arrives soon - available with 150bhp diesel, or you could go to the parent company and get a posh Vectra....

The one I'm leaning towards though is the Honda Accord Tourer. Your budget will get you a 2.2CDTi in top spec Exec trim. Great to drive, well specced, good for tax bills, just not available as an auto...

I think you might need to just drive them and see....

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Good info, thanks.

Personally the Honda doesn't do it for me style wise (don't like the rear end). With regards to driving, last year I attended the Company Car in Action day at Millbrook, was a great day and got to drive as many cars from most manufacturers as you could fit in! Problem is that it's not normally till June an I want to ensure a September delivery, looks like I'll be trawling round the dealers.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Have to say that the Honda is an acquired taste style wise 0 but I do 50k miles a year, and I can't see the back when I'm driving it so buggar that!

Also do Company Car in Action from time to time. And interestingly I'm also due my new company car in September....New 3 series touring is rumoured to be available from late 2005, as is new Passat wagon - so you probably can cross both of those off.

I'm presuming diesel is for`tax reasons as well as economy - if so, remember that many diesel autos have emissions through the roof, so if auto is a must the dsg or audi multitronic are about the only real options.

·
Registered
82 Posts
A slight aside - if diesel is for tax reasons and not economy, then I reckon a new A3 2.0T Sport DSG 5 dr has emissions of 187. Your current A4 probably has emissions of 155+, but with the 3% surcharge....that equates to 170 for comparison. Only 4 percentage points higher for the petrol turbo.....If you get car and private fuel and pay 40% tax, that will cost you about ?640 a year more than you pay now I think....

·
Registered
666 Posts
I looked at diesels for a while for tax reasons and realised the difference isn't much at all between a modern, decent petrol and a diesel.

Is it worth having to put up with the tiny powerband, the clatter and and mini rev range?!

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
A few more options;

Alfa Romeo

156 Sportwagon (00 on)

2.4 JTD 20v Multijet TI 5d

Jaguar

X-Type Estate (04 on)

2.0d Sport 5d (Euro 4)

MG

ZT Estate (04 on)

2.0 CDTi + (135ps) 5d Auto

Volvo

V50 (04 on)

2.0D SE Sport 5d (10/04)

My bosses wife asked me yesterday why her benefits in kind were showing as ?17k pa [:O]

She has a company car - a 3.2 Shogun deisel - cost ?33k and cos of the emissions she gets charged the maximum 35%

She thought because it was a deisel she would be ok [:D]

·
Registered
82 Posts
Ah the joys of beinga company car driver....

I do big mileage and I've looked at opting out but I can't make it pay (its the 93 miles each way to work that does it!!!). I'm now looking at a Merc - a Vito dualliner van with 5 seats. If you put all the options on it it isn't much different from a V class people carrier and you only get taxed on flat rate ?500 for car and fuel - as opposed to ?8000+ if I take a (tax efficient) car. Just concerned they might wonder why an accountant drives a van! Double cab pick up is other alternative - but I really don't need 4x4 handling!

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Quote: posted by isleaiw on 05/04/2005 13:24:41

Ah the joys of beinga company car driver....

I do big mileage and I've looked at opting out but I can't make it pay (its the 93 miles each way to work that does it!!!). I'm now looking at a Merc - a Vito dualliner van with 5 seats. If you put all the options on it it isn't much different from a V class people carrier and you only get taxed on flat rate ?500 for car and fuel - as opposed to ?8000+ if I take a (tax efficient) car. Just concerned they might wonder why an accountant drives a van!

That's an option but the dual liner doesn't look like it has windows in the rear sliding doors? Can't find options on the merc site for additional seats either!

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
Oh no Ian, a van after the 320...! I'd be tempted to put an order in for one of the first of the new 320d Touring. Have you thought about having an SE spec but with the optional 17" wheels to take some of the harshness off the ride? Mine's an SE and handles bueatifully but doesn't rattle your teeth like the Sport.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts