Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After thinking and reading and working out monies, I have decided I think the best two possible cars for me will be either:-

Golf GT TDi PD150

or

Skoda Fabia VRS

on looking at figures parkers gives Golf 0-60 as 8.3 and 134 top

and the Fabia VRS is quotes as 0-60 as 9.2 with a 128 top

im sure i read somewhere with the VRS for definate that this figure drops to about 8 something anyway in realistic time? but how about the Golf?

there are SO many 130 vs 150 threads i dont want to start another long one, lol, but if anyone can just give me these details it would be very helpful

would anyone know where I could find 0-100 times for these too also?!?

I guess overall the Golf would hold its value better is once thing swaying me towards it, but u cant help luv the styling of the Furby!

Any advice much appreciated!

Cheers

Dave

·
Registered
74 Posts
Don't know about 0-100 times, but I think people say about 7.6 real world time for the Golf. As for which to go for I'm biased towards the Golf owning one and all but both are decent motors. The only thing people seem not to like about the Golf is the turbo lag, but remaps and extras [H] help.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
7.6?!? thats not bad at all then really!

so in standard form the Golf is deffo going to faster all round than the Furby id imagine

seems more appealing the more i think about it!

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
You need to remember even high output diesels cannot post fast 0-100 times (least not compared to their petrol counterpart), they don't make any power above 4K.

In my diesel it feels like the faster you go the less the engine has to give, you end up wishing for a wider power band. If you really want engine you can 'drive' I'd got for petrol.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Good point

You see im not really into 'big' speed, but luuuuuurve the 0-60 and 0-100 on cars, my Cossie used to hit 60 in 5.7 and 100 in 11.8 which was awsome!

So i spose im always trying to compare to that!

Im sure i heard one of the lads on here with a modded 130/150 saying he was getting 1/4 mile in 13/14 odd?

·
Registered
874 Posts
so in standard form the Golf is deffo going to faster all round than the Furby id imagine
Wouldn't think so- Golf has a bit more power, but a bit more weight to even things out. Torque difference is only 7lb/ft so no different really.

Autocar ran a Furby as a long termer and recorded a 7.2 to 60!! Said it was a fluke but it was genuine. Their average 0-60 time was around 7.7 IIRC.

I don't think there will be a performance difference when standard but the Furby has a lot more potential when chipped I'd say.

A basic remap will get you 180bhp from the 130 but only about 185 from the 150, and with the Fabia's lighter weight it'll be a flying machine.

Really I think it comes down more to things like the interior- I own a Golf GT TDI and a Fabia vRS and the Golfs interior is higher quality, although the Fabia is screwed together equally well, just with slightly cheaper feeling plastics.

Also you'll get a newer, lower milage Fabia for the money. Although having said that, they are holding their money remarkably well- ours was new in Sept '05 for ?12,500and ones identical are selling at dealers for ?11,500 now.

It's a difficult one to call- I guess you should drive a Fabia and see what you think. Personally I get a massive sense of smugness driving ours when I know some people still think it's just a Skoda.

(The guy in the A3 2.0TDI wasn't very pleased the other day when I went past him in the Fabia just after the end of some roadworks. I was accelerating gently from 30 leptons and he obvioulsy didn't realise the speed limit had ended. Just as I was infront of him and starting to pull in he put the foot down. By the time I realised what he was doing and also put the boot in, he was exactly level with me. By the time we hit about 100leptons he was still exactly level with me. He wasn't to pleased about not being able to beat the Skoda!)

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
I guess overall the Golf would hold its value better is one thing swaying me towards it
I don't think it would. The golf is an 'old' model, whereas the furby is still the current model. I would assume the chassis of the furby should be slightly better as standard, than that of the MKIV, being based on a much newer platform.

·
Registered
94 Posts
(The guy in the A3 2.0TDI wasn't very pleased the other day when I went past him in the Fabia just after the end of some roadworks. I was accelerating gently from 30 leptons and he obvioulsy didn't realise the speed limit had ended. Just as I was infront of him and starting to pull in he put the foot down. By the time I realised what he was doing and also put the boot in, he was exactly level with me. By the time we hit about 100leptons he was still exactly level with me. He wasn't to pleased about not being able to beat the Skoda!)
he was probably too busy looking at his badge!!

·
Registered
459 Posts
I guess overall the Golf would hold its value better is one thing swaying me towards it
I don't think it would. The golf is an 'old' model, whereas the furby is still the current model. I would assume the chassis of the furby should be slightly better as standard, than that of the MKIV, being based on a much newer platform.
This furby is based on the mk-iv era polo chassis. It may be current model, but is still an old design.

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
I know this is not on your shortlist but one of most enjoyable engines I've driven (good blend of torque and power) is the 1.8T in 180 tune. I test drove a Leon Cupra 180 - I really liked the linear engine delivery, plus being a petrol it revs past 4 k!!

Leon Cupra's are quite cheap now. Ok the interior isn't as nice but its not far off. The chassis doesn't stand up to modern standards but its the best of the mk iv era. I think its great secondhand buy, money u'll save can go towards some Shell V-Power!!

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
I bought a Leon FR+ TDI in June, PD150 engine that likes to rev...it's great!

The older version was the Cupra TDI. The early ones had leather as standard if I recall correctly!

Great cars!

·
Registered
66 Posts
As stated above, there is nothing in it on the road IMHO.

Seemed to be matched well gear for gear on the road.

Got a mate with a VRS and any extra power the Golf has is wasted by the extra weight it carries, if anything the VRS feels quicker, more of a Turbo hit, but that could just be down to being sat in the passenger seat ;-)

Is there much difference in insurance groups/costs?

·
Registered
442 Posts
Furby and MKIV Golf are both quality, The furby is small and handles better but the golf is nicer inside and looks better, IMO. The Golf may be the old shape now but I prefer it to the MKV. After the customary re-map the Furby will have more poke due to the weight difference but its not much different to the golf. Just be aware that your clutch will turn to saw dust fairly quickly due to the mahusive torque :eek:) I would have a drive in both before you buy one, you'll soon know what to go for... happy shopping!

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
What about Ibiza 130 sport? Or if your feeling brave TDi Ibiza 160 (that must be amazingly quick, prob quite rare)?

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
a VRS and a golf PD130 are one of the same weight, and i know for sure that their performance are matched. A PD150 will get by the VRS after 90mph and i know this for certain.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
thought about an Ibiza 130 Sport, but after driving one the other week i wouldnt buy one! u can get em close to 4k on AT now!

have also driven the 160 when it first came out but its out of my price range, i look at a black one in the car park at work every day, lush!

yeah i think that would do it for me Mickey, i drove a 150 prob 2 years ago and i remember it feeling like a petrol, funny enuff we went and tried an A3 3.2 on an Audi open day just as the new shape had come out, we then went straight and test drove the 150 and it 'felt' remakably faster!

with the new shape Fabia coming out next year it will prob hit the price of the VRS's a bit more, maybe the 150's will also be down a little bit more, im not really tight, but looking to spend upto 7k, ish

im thinking if i got the Golf cheaper then threw a grand or so at it with mods to get the most out of it maybe?

·
Registered
874 Posts
Forgot to comment on the handling;

My Golf is lowered on -30mm Eibachs with Bilstein B4's and 18" alloys.

My Furby is standard.

If i was going for a country blast I would take the vRS every time. Better ride quality (could be the 16inch wheels) and more fun handling with a bit more steering feel (could be those wheels again).

Long distance would be a harder choice- as mentioned the Fabia has a better ride but the Golf has a more comfortable interior (by that I mean it has an arm rest and the doors are more comfortable to lean your other arm on- seats are equally as good in the fabia with perhaps a bit more lateral support than the Golf).

I should mention that my Golf is a 115 remapped to 150 so I don't think it's quite as quick as a proper 150 (different torque/power curves). The vRS feels quicker than my Golf but I'm not sure that it actually is.

To be honest I doubt you'd be disappointed with either- but have fun test driving them both!

P.s. pretty sure the Fabia is based on the current Polo chassis (mk5/6 I think). The Fabia got it, then the Ibiza and finally the Polo IIRC.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
1 - 20 of 25 Posts