Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whats the lowest you go by using springs on standard shocks as I cant
afford coilovers as of yet so springs will have to do for a few months.

I've heard various things like 30-40mm but would like to be definite as I don't think 30mm will be that much visibly different.

Sonny

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
I think 50mm. However, don't cause yourself the same problem as I had/have got.

With that lip you have on the front bumper, when you lower it, curbs, inclines, de-clines all become a big problem because you will scrape it. I can't go down a certain road now just outside my house because I scrape it really badly at the bottom of the hill and I'm only lowered 30mm [:^)]

You just got to be careful when parking and stuff, especially those car parks with curbs at the end, you will hit the curb whereas before you may have been able to let your wheels touch. Those car parks with trees in the middle are also a bit of a pain!

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
Why not just wait 'til you can get shocks too - if you have to pay for the springs to be fitted then it's ?0 extra for the shocks as well..... but if you do them seperately then it's double... IMHO throwing money away.

There was a post recently which suggested that any more than about 30mm screws the CoG and RCs thus the handling ends up worse than when you started.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Hi,

Based on a normal 2wd MK4, I would not lower more than approx. 30mm. The basic front suspension design is not suited to running lower unless the lower ball joint positioning or wishbone inner pick-up points are changed. I can bore you with figures about 'centre of gravity', 'roll centre', 'roll couple' and suspension frequencies, but I won't ramble on. Suffice to say, if you look at the amount of bump travel the standard shock bodies and springs allow. If you lower 50mm or so, you will not have enough bump travel to allow the suspension to work correctly. The suspension will frequently 'bottom out' (even during cornering). This allows the total suspension frequency on that corner to increase dramatically, normally resulting in grip loss.

I suppose it depends what you are looking for. A car that looks good or a car that goes well....................

regards

Job

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Why not just wait 'til you can get shocks
too - if you have to pay for the springs to be fitted then it's ?0
extra for the shocks as well..... but if you do them seperately then
it's double... IMHO throwing money away.

There was a post recently which suggested that any more than about
30mm screws the CoG and RCs thus the handling ends up worse than when
you started.
Im getting them fitted by my mate for free so either way its all good mate.

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi,

Based on a normal 2wd MK4, I would not lower more than approx. 30mm.
The basic front suspension design is not suited to running lower unless
the lower ball joint positioning or wishbone inner pick-up points are
changed. I can bore you with figures about 'centre of gravity', 'roll
centre', 'roll couple' and suspension frequencies, but I won't ramble
on. Suffice to say, if you look at the amount of bump travel the
standard shock bodies and springs allow. If you lower 50mm or so, you
will not have enough bump travel to allow the suspension to work
correctly. The suspension will frequently 'bottom out' (even during
cornering). This allows the total suspension frequency on that corner
to increase dramatically, normally resulting in grip loss.

I suppose it depends what you are looking for. A car that looks good or a car that goes well....................

regards

Job
I'm looking for a car that goes well for now, and the coilovers can take care of the looks department later.

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
Im getting them fitted by my mate for free so either way its all good mate.
Lucky s*d - won't he get pi**ed off at having to do the same thing twice.....[;)]

Sorry if I appear thick, but why are you buying springs and replacing them with coilovers in a few weeks time?
If money is short why not just get some decent springs and then add some shocks of equivalent quality later?

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Not a few weeks time more like 4-6months time, as I'm trying to keep a
balance of looks and tuning at the moment, so next thing is air filter,
exhaust and a few other bits and bobs like brakes.

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
I see what you mean now, but.....

I really think you'd be wasting money doing half a job and just changing the springs. If you buy some budget springs you'll destry the ride and handling, if you buy some expensive springs and keep the std shocks the ride and handling will be compromised, if you buy some decent springs and then replace them with coilovers what are you really gaining?

The only benefit you'll get from coilovers compared to a decent set of springs and shocks is the height adjustment facility. There's alot of BS about coilovers and how they're the ultimate, IMHO most of them are not, they're simply sports shocks in threaded bodies. Can you honestly say you'll be adjusting the ride height for the different uses you'll have - shows, track days etc....?

Sorry if I appear to be preaching at you but I really do think you're simply wasting money. I wouldn't be suprised if you told me to s*d off and mind my own business, but I'm just offering my opinion, hope you take it in the spirit in which it's offered - helpfully not critically.

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I know what you mean mate and the only reason I want coilovers is so
that when I go to shows I can drop it on its rear end and make it look
the biz but for daily use I think 30mm drop on the coilovers will be
enough so I dont scrape my underbody. I'm not going to buy budget
springs mate, I'm looking at some eibach ones.

·
Registered
965 Posts
I have standard shocks with a spax kit and its lowered to 35mm and its lovely! No problems and its a nice ride. And handles a dream. John put a spax kit on his and only lowered to 30mm had to change it as the ride was very harsh. He has Eibach springs now and I am not sure if he has standard or not now as he keeps changing it. But bear in mind he has the V5 which has slightly different suspension set up to me ( I think) But I know his ride is not as good as mine (i.e going round bends and roundabouts). And you can see a noticable difference between the two when you look at them parked up next to each other. Mine is great when you throw it round roundabouts hugs the road perfect! Hope that helps???

So I would recommend 35mm.

[:D]

·
Registered
602 Posts
I fitted some eibach 30mm springs with some bilstein b4 dampers. The
drop is reasonable (nothing like slammed on coilovers but looks good)
and with the neuspeed rear arb the handling is vastly improved!! More
grip and better response although the front end could be sharpened up a
bit but I'm not sure there's anything that can be done about that [;)]
probably a feature of the car!

Anyway I'd highly recommend the bilsteins - for the money they are a real bargin and are better than a lot of people think.

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
With that lip you have on the front bumper, when you lower it, curbs, inclines, de-clines all become a big problem because you will scrape it. I can't go down a certain road now just outside my house because I scrape it really badly at the bottom of the hill and I'm only lowered 30mm [:^)]
Mine isn't lowered at all and I've had problems with the front valance scraping on inclines sometimes. One reason why I haven't changed my springs even though I hate the huge wheel arch gap. I did a lot of reading up on this subject on Vortex yesterday and got the impression that the way the MkIV suspension is set up there is not much scope for lowering before the ride and handling both suffer. About 30 mm seems to be the limit if you have standard suspension on there to begin with.

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I fitted some eibach 30mm springs with some bilstein b4 dampers. The
drop is reasonable (nothing like slammed on coilovers but looks good)
and with the neuspeed rear arb the handling is vastly improved!! More
grip and better response although the front end could be sharpened up a
bit but I'm not sure there's anything that can be done about that [;)]
probably a feature of the car!

Anyway I'd highly recommend the bilsteins - for the money they are a real bargin and are better than a lot of people think.
Got any pics of your drop mate??

·
Registered
602 Posts
The day after fitting springs and shocks
Posted Image

A few months after fitting springs and shocks (car has settled a bit now)

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

And just for fun - the car as it was when I bought it [:)]

Posted Image

And after fitting the 18" RS4 reps - check out the hoooooge gaps in the arches....

Posted Image

1 - 20 of 24 Posts