Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to get a new set up on my car.

Ideally i want adjustable so i can get it spot on but at the same time i want a comfortable ride for every day use.

What set-ups are people using and how do they rate them for price, comfort, handling, drop/looks.

I've heard coilovers are extremly harsh but not heard any first hand experiances from owners?

My car is on projektzwo springs and standard shocks at the mo, but sits to high at the back for my liking although the ride comfort is acceptable, bit knocky over potholes but i think my bushes are shafted.

Any help greatfully recieved!!!!

Cheers, Sam!

·
Registered
368 Posts
hey, im runnig weitec colivers at the moment on the golf with poly bushes and yes, the ride is very harsh.

its lowered about 35mm - looks ideal and never have any probs with speed bumps. Price was ideal (?400 and fitted myself). The car handles great and theres virtually no body role going round sharp corners fast.

Andy

·
Registered
678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Am i right in saying that anything with adjustable dampening can be ' fine tuned' for the best of both worlds?

If so what kit do people recommend?

Cheers, Sam

·
Registered
8,293 Posts
Am i right in saying that anything with adjustable dampening can be ' fine tuned' for the best of both worlds?

If so what kit do people recommend?

Cheers, Sam
Well I'm on KW V1s and the ride quality is excellent. You are going to get it harsh on 18s and 19s no matter what suspension you put on but I've found that the KWs are just a little bit better than anything else I've been in. I'm on 17s as well. I was going to get KW V2s but I asked myself a couple of questions first - Would I be fiddling around with the suspension settings and changing it more than once? and Do I think I can set the suspension better than people who have been making suspension for touring and circuit racing cars for years? The very simple answer to both of those questions is no.

I've found that people get adjustable dampening just so they can say they've got it. They never change it though so not much point in having it.

Baz

·
Registered
678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi mate, cheers for the reply, where did you get them from and what price where they?

Cheers, Sam

·
Registered
8,293 Posts
Hi mate, cheers for the reply, where did you get them from and what price where they?

Cheers, Sam
Demon Tweeks for ?670 I think, may have been 20 or 30 for delivery as well. Then I fitted them myself.

Baz

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
iv got some KONI ADJUSTABLES not a bad kit and you can adjust how hard /soft you want it. and on hard it really is hard lol.. im just about to put them all on soft for the 1st time...also gives a nice drop

gray

·
Registered
436 Posts
ive got spax adjustables which are ride and damper adjustable but on 19's and its not too bad at all on soft though. hard is bit too harsh for me especially with our great roads.

·
Registered
275 Posts
I'm getting Koni sports fitted soon on my bora, can't wait. dono how to have them set but i'm sure i'll get some help close to the time.

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
I have jamex coilovers on 17"s. I find the ride nice, stiff over rippled roads, but never harsh, better than standard over bumps, more composed with no jars or knocks, cost me ?300, they are height adjustable.

I am very picky about my ride, I have a bad back/neck and like comfort with sporty drive, I think these are an ideal combination they ride like audi sports suspension, nicely damped and handle superb but they are very firm, but not harsh.

·
Registered
678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have jamex coilovers on 17"s. I find the ride nice, stiff over rippled roads, but never harsh, better than standard over bumps, more composed with no jars or knocks, cost me ?300, they are height adjustable.

I am very picky about my ride, I have a bad back/neck and like comfort with sporty drive, I think these are an ideal combination they ride like audi sports suspension, nicely damped and handle superb but they are very firm, but not harsh.
hi mate, are these adjustable dampers or pre set?

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
They are preset, only 25% stiffer. goes round corners very well, just needs a rear arb now to finish it off.

·
Registered
678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

·
Registered
395 Posts
Hi,

Just had the KONI Sport kit fitted and wow what a differnce. The shocks have adjustable damping (not ride-height) and I must say the ride quality is excellent.[:D]

I have both front and back set at around half-way and found that to be fine. On main roads it is comfortable yet possitive and on back roads it is bumpy but not harsh at all so in my eyes a good all-rounder.[Y]

R

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Yes they are those, they are a lot firmer I must stress this, but they are not harsh with it, over bumps is fine, it is just rapid changes of height etc as the car follows it quite true to the road rather than riding over it, but thats to be expected with sports suspension and yours probably does that now on your springs. It is a collar adjustment on the threads mine is approx 40-45mm front and rear with no fouling at all (130PD) if you are near the midlands midlandvw in cannock supply, fit and 4 wheel allign the car for ?400 and they are very very good I mean my car is only 2 years old and I trust them.

for pics look at...... http://uk-mkivs.net/forums/thread/775535.aspx (about 3rd pic down from the side)

car was very dirty though, lol. it is wound down about 60% at front and 70% at back

It has settled a bit lower than in the pics now

·
Registered
678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yer i think to be honest my ride is quite rough at the moment anyway, getting a knocking over bumps and potholes so my bet is that the bushes are shafted. I'm running on projecktzwo springs on standard shocks at the mo, which were on the car when i bought it and its a 1999 plate to so they've probably had a beasting and are knackered. Going in for a service/mot and cambelt this week in VW ( luckily my mate is tech in there so i don't get ripped off) and i've just come into some money which i will be spending on the car so watch this space. Just ordered my anni lights should be here by the weekend, plus the coilovers a boost gauge, and the 312mm brake kit.

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
its probably not the bushes but the springs that have knackered the shocks, its a common problem, my mate works for vw as well, it really helps doesnt it

·
Registered
678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
yer very handy, these should sort it right out anyway, just hoping i dont have to change the arb's but as far as i know it only effects the front, right? so as long as i dont go lower than what it is now, i should be fine.. can't really go any lower anyway else i'll be scooping up speed bumps everywhere, the front is only about 5-6 inches off the floor as it is with the front bumper n all.. Back needs to come down about 20-30 mm though to level it out nicely.

As you can see in this piccy

Posted Image

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
yeah thats the issue mine had with the back being higher. I havn't had any problems with my front arb, rear isn't a problem because there isn't one lol, unless you have had one fitted. Mine is quite low think it would scrape the sump or front valance before the arb, what engine is yours? Mine is a 130PD 6 speed, dont know if driveshafts were different in these or not.

·
Registered
678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Hi,

It's a 1.8t mate. Funnily enough i put the car in the garage earlier and i heard a rubbing noise, like metal on metal.. I think the knocking has been getting worse recently and may not have helped from putting 18's on, more stress maybe?

I'll get it looked at this weekend when its in for some bits and bobs. Problem is i don;t use it that much, only on the weekends, only put 3k on the clock in the last 12 months so when i hear odd noises every now and again i get a little parinoid but find it hard to diagnose myself because of the amount i drive it!

When i get the coilovers fitted i'll set it up to how i want it and if its a problem i'll replace the ARB's.

Cheers, Sam!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts