Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just want to get an idea of what the most popular suspension set up is, please state what set up you have and if you think it is a good ride. I was going to do this as a poll but theres just too many kits out there.

Thanks [:)]

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
Koni coilovers with H&R front ARB, Neuspeed rear ARB, Neuspeed upper front strut brace, S3 lower strut brace, F1's all round.

Ride can be harsh at times but the cornering and positive steering feedback more than make up for this.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Eibach Pro-system (non adjustable) springs and dampers.

H&R front & Rear ARBs.

New OEM bushes.

225/45 ZR17 Goodyear GSD 3 F1 all round

Handling, grip and ride awesome compared to std.

Can be a but harsh over severe speed ramps, potholes or when more than 3 up.

Try koni adjustble dampers perhaps with Eibach sprins

·
Registered
401 Posts
I'm also looking to sort the suspension soon, looking at coilovers but know nowt about it. I'm after a reasonable ride as I do about 300 miles a week on crappy roads. How much am I looking at for this?

·
Registered
154 Posts
Eibach Pro setup, with neuspeed Rear ARB. 17" wheels and crap tyres!

The addition of the Rear ARB to the suspension setup makes all the difference. The Eibach kit is definatly stiff, but I don't think it is too harsh unless fully loaded.

Mark

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
My compromise for poor roads is Koni adjustable shocks, standard springs, 16" wheels and a Neuspeed ARB. Also had an S3 lower strut brace but removed it when I fitted a metal sump guard. Very good ride. The dampers provide much better body control than the standard items without being excessively firm and they are adjustable. Standard items had too much wallow and the car always felt like it had half an inch of free travel before the dampers suddenly became firm. The ARB helps keep the roll in check especially on roundabouts. Still not a great handling car (too nose heavy and really misses out not having independent rear suspension) but very acceptable.

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
I have the Anni spec sports suspension, which I believe comprises Eibach springs and uprated gas shocks, probably made by Sachs or Boge as they do huge amounts of OE stuff.

IMHO it now feels like a true GT, firm but not stiff and handles well, exactly as it should've been from the factory!

·
Registered
836 Posts
KW V2 coilovers with Koni dampers

R32 23mm front ARB, Neuspeed 28mm rear on hardest setting

S3 upper/lower front strut Braces

18" wheels 225/40 F1's

Firm not harsh... handling is awesome!

Scott

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
Koni RSK - Off car adjustable

Neuspeed 28mm - middle setting

S3 Lower Front Strut

S3 Upper in sitting in the garage (don't think this helps)

Mid range tyres on 17" rims

Firm, a little harsh, but the way I like it. Handles like it should have done from the factory.

·
Registered
571 Posts
I currently have standard suspension, but will be upgrading it next week hopefully. Have decided to do wheels at the same time. [B)]

Looking around, the best combination seems to be the Koni Yellow Adjustable shocks with Eibach springs. I have been quoted ?600 inc VAT by Stealth Racing (inc fitting) which is a very good price by all accounts. Next best was JRB in Chesterfield who quoted ?690. I'll have to twist James arm when I am there on Saturday.[;)]

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
Quote: posted by Richard W on 30/09/2004 12:45:06

Quick ques for those with adjustable suspension - how often do you adjust it?

Never, but it is only off car adjustable.

·
Registered
836 Posts
Not very often, but the point is it allows you to adjust it in the first place to suit you taste, not so you can keep changing it.

Scott

·
Registered
55 Posts
Eibach springs (-30mm) and standard dampers, good ride and not too roly-poly. Do catch my Powerflow exhaust now and again on bad driveway inclines, but speedbumps are fine.

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
I've adjusted mine twice in 9 months, once because it was set too high when they were fitted and once again I needed to raise it before I completely smashed my Oettinger front valance.

Thats the whole idea of Coilovers, imagine spending ?200ish on just springs (fitted) then picking your car up and thinking to yourself, I thought it would be a little lower than that.

With the likes of FK you can get coilovers comprising of both springs and dampers for not a lot of money and backed by a quality name.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Bilstein PSS coilovers with R32 ARB's and 18's

Its very smooth when general driving, and stiffens up perfectly when pushed

Cant fault it

·
Registered
4,528 Posts
I have just purchased of ebay, FK highsports for my 4motion for ?150 but there not fitted yet so I cannot tell you what they are like.

·
Premium Member
25,430 Posts
Bargain that Andy!

I'm running FK Konigsports with R32 ARB's (wouldnt be anything else really lol). Ride at the front is set to half stiff and the rears are set to soft (need to have them set to half). Ride is good, not to stiff like the H&R setup on my last car.

Would deffo recommend the FK's to anyone, use Koni shocks so nuff said!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts