Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I drive a golf Mk4- 1.4S (standard)

I would like to know what size wheels would be best. I dont want any rubbing. Also i dont want it riding too high.

I dont plan on lowering it either.

Maybe send a link of some pics explaining what size wheels etc

What are the differences between my car, and the GTI. I know the GTI has smoked lights, mud flaps, mini spoiler and bigger wheels as standard. But does the GTI ride lower?

Thanks in advance, Andy

·
Registered
147 Posts
As far as i am aware the GTI does have a lower ride height, im pretty positive actually!

Most people have got 18's on with NO trouble and lowered, im not sure about 19's its a question I was pondering myself, only I have a GTI!

·
Registered
198 Posts
All models above a 1.4 and 1.6 are lower, by around 30mm as standard. I personally have 18s on my 1.4, correct size in my opinion, but to be honest the car used to look like a monster truck. definitely needs lowering! I went for the Eibach pro kit, drops car by around 30/35 mm.

Hope this helps

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
once you have fitted 18/19's you WILL want to lower the golf. if you dont, can you live with it looking higher than a range rover?

·
Registered
4,190 Posts
Quote: posted by MikeTDI on 22/12/2004 13:37:46

once you have fitted 18/19's you WILL want to lower the golf. if you dont, can you live with it looking higher than a range rover?

but that aint the GTi...........

·
Registered
56 Posts

Lol but you won't be able to fly through speed bumps anymore! [8)]

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
Quote: posted by GolfTT on 23/12/2004 09:52:04

Lol but you won't be able to fly through speed bumps anymore! [8)]

im lowered appx 55mm on 18's and i clear speed bumps no problem.

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
Quote: posted by GolfTT on 23/12/2004 10:09:40

Not that we should be speeding through them....

i really wouldnt like to be doing anything over 20mph over speed bumps even on stock suspension! will knacker it up in no time at them speeds.

·
Premium Member
25,430 Posts
Quote: posted by MikeTDI on 23/12/2004 10:27:13

Quote: posted by GolfTT on 23/12/2004 10:09:40

Not that we should be speeding through them....

i really wouldnt like to be doing anything over 20mph over speed bumps even on stock suspension! will knacker it up in no time at them speeds.

You want to try it in a Jalopy, quality stuff [:D]

"Speed Bump? What Speed Bump??"

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Cheers for the help everyone.

Im strongly thinking about 18s now. With a car full of people and a boot holding some sound equipment, what would be a safe bet?

As in, what profile wheel/tyre(width) and lowered by how much? I am paranoid about having rubbing

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
Basically mate the way i see it is, you have two options, option one, go for 17's and lower it about 50mm, or option 2, go for 18's with a 30-40mm drop. Either way, you ARE going to have to lower it if you don't want the 4x4 look...

No two ways about it! Even though 19's would fit without any rubbing, i fear that a 1.4 would be lacking even more in power with having to cope with all the weight of 19's! Hope that gives you something to think about! [^]

1 - 20 of 20 Posts