Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Afternoon folks-

Just bought a set of these after reading some good reviews - does anybody know what thickness spacer rings I'm best off using, to bring them right up against the speaker grilles? It would save a lot of arseing about with sandpaper :p

Cheers

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Sorry, I should add that I've already got the Autoleads spacers fitted with my old speakers, but it still sounds like there's sound getting lost before it reaches the speaker grilles - so I want to add the MDF spacer between the plastic spacer and the door...

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
when you find out. Try to either get green MDF or at least apply 2-3 coats of varnish etc to the MDF. It hates moisture !!

Nice speakers.... good to see a quality install for once !!

·
TEAM 88 MOTORSPORT
8,901 Posts
Ive got 20mm spacers which are still approx 15mm away from the back of the speaker grille. Depending on the thickness of your speaker you will be looking at 35-40 mm spacer. The plastic rivets that hold the standard speaker grille on can be drilled out to remove so you could get a very accurate measure. then simply glue them back on or use the grilles from your Rainbows'. There are a few pics of my speaker install in my buid thread[Y]

·
Registered
111 Posts
When i've fitted speakers in the past i've always gone round the edge with a draft excluder foam, about an inch thick, just adds that bit more to channeling the sound out the grill not into the door card :)

·
Super Moderator
50,234 Posts
Not ideal I know,but how about reusing the rubber thingies that were clipped onto the front of the stock speakers?

Chris.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts