Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Afternoon all

What price should i be paying for a garage to fit eibach dampers and springs to a mk4 golf?

cheers

Deano

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Hi,

?100 to 150 would be fair.

Failing that if you have a night/day to spare and you want to learn how to do it to save yourself some cash let me know, I dont mind giving some help/instruction and a loan of my tools.

Also while doing the job replace the Suspension Top mount bearing and bushes, For the cost also order all bolts removed as well.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
For the cost from VW, Cant remember the exact price, I think its ?30 ish for the lot.

There is a rubber top mount, A bearing that kits in this. (These will almost certainly be worn out)

Lower Shock retaining bolt that passed thru the hub will also be needed. The rest should be fine with a drop of loctite

·
Registered
927 Posts
dunno what rates are like up there, but allow 3-3.5hrs for this + tracking

Down south, that equates to about ?200+ at non franchise garage

·
Registered
795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
sorry for the hassle i'm totally rubbish when it comes to parts. Where can i find the part numbers that i need or will the person at the parts bit in vw know what i need?

sorry again

·
Registered
213 Posts
I paid ?117.50 to get my eibach springs and Koni dampers fitted to my car, which wasnt too bad I didnt think. Would have preferred to try it myself but didnt have technical know how!

Andy

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
vw wanted ?300+ to fit mine!

so i did it myself

you'll need a spring compressor (?10-20), and some of the bolts for the driver side of the subframe as it'll need dropping a tad

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
We compressed the coil spring with spring compressors to reduce its length to give enough to get it out. Was a while ago now i did it but it all went pretty smooth.

Refitting was obviously easier as the length of the shock is reduced anyhow.

·
Registered
5,039 Posts
sorry for the hassle i'm totally rubbish when it comes to parts. Where can i find the part numbers that i need or will the person at the parts bit in vw know what i need?

sorry again
Yes just tell them the names of the parts and they will know what you are talking about

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
We compressed the coil spring with spring compressors to reduce its length to give enough to get it out. Was a while ago now i did it but it all went pretty smooth.

Refitting was obviously easier as the length of the shock is reduced anyhow.
hmmm, when i took mine out it was impossible to compress the spring anymore (due to fitting the spring compressors in the arch) and i actually found other people that said the subframe needed lowering, so thats what i did

·
Registered
795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Wen't down to the dealers today and came back with these:

Posted Image

are these the rights parts???

Thanks guys

Deano

·
Registered
6,626 Posts
Yep - for the front, although you also need the nuts for those bolts (to hold the damper in place).

For the rear, you need:

2x lower damper bolts

2x lower damper nuts

4x upper damper mount bolts

Cheap as chips

1 - 17 of 17 Posts