Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alight peeps... I am basically looking for some advice as I am thinking of getting rid of my lovely 99 MKIV 1.6 which I have spent about ?2000 modifying and about ?3000 in repairs [:S]

Here is the history of the problems I have had to date:

Firstly the head gasket went and wasn't done properly, then it was done again which was then fine
for two months. Then I needed new ignition leads. Then I needed new brakes
all round. Then I needed two new tyres which cost a bomb! Then my gearbox
goes which is just unbeliveable [:O] and I get a new clutch at the same time.
When I found out that my car is now leaking coolant again (head gasket) I
was just like, that's it there is NO WAY I am keeping it anymore. I am
currently on 85k miles and I think more and more things are just going to go
wrong.

So, what do you think I should do?... I should be able to get the head gasket sorted for free as it is under warranty (parts and labour) from the garage who carried out the work

I am thinking about buying a 2004 plate Clio DCI 1.5 with 20k on the clock. Advantages being that I will get 65mpg (currently28 [:(]), tax for a year is ?85, insurance will almost halve! So as smithjoe has suggested [Y] I could save up for my next car, which will hopefully be a MKV GTi [:D] I am not particularly a big fan of girly clios (unlike clio_dude), but it seems the best option for ?6000.

Can you suggest any other cars for ?6000? I am looking mainly at reliability!

It is possible I could get a new loan [6] and buy a car for ?9000... What could I get for 9k? Something quick AND reliable?

Also, reckon I could get a lot for my car? Selling points being that I have spent ?2000 on mods which TOTALLY TRANSFORM the image of the car, new brakes all round, new tyres, new gearbox (?1241) and new clutch!

I just cleaned my car earlier and it looks so good [:'(][:'(]

I could do a "Tabs" and get a jalopy (04 plate clio), hang around here (obviously!!) and get my GTi in 2 years...

Give me your thoughts and guidance please [Y]

Thanks

·
Registered
113 Posts
I've also got a 1999 MKIV 1.6. I find the gearbox really stiff and crunchy. Also the engine has a slight mis-fire. It seems I'm about to go down the same road you have been down! I've only got 60k on the clock but I think the problems will soon kick in. If you still have 6k to spend I would try and get hold of a newer version of the MKIV golf. Mind you thats my opinion and I would never drive anything but a Volkswagen. 6K is a lot of money. I'd also try and get hold of a MK2 golf and drop a V6 in it [:D]

·
Registered
809 Posts
Having covered a good few miles in a 1.5dci I can thoroughly recommend the engine, it' huuuuge fun and feels like more than it's power would suggest. It's quiet, revs like a petrol and had brilliant economy. But it's a Renault and our 53 plater at work spends more time being fixed nowadays than it does on the road, which is a shame.

If it was my money I would be putting my six grand into an Ibiza Cupra 1.8t. Maybe even a 110 TDI mk3 Ibiza Sport if I could find a good one (and where my user name comes from!!!) and chip the bleeder. Much more of a solid car than the Renault and you'd be surprised how many VW bits you recognised in amongst the trim and mechanicals!

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
Having covered a good few miles in a 1.5dci I can thoroughly recommend the engine, it' huuuuge fun and feels like more than it's power would suggest. It's quiet, revs like a petrol and had brilliant economy. But it's a Renault and our 53 plater at work spends more time being fixed nowadays than it does on the road, which is a shame.

If it was my money I would be putting my six grand into an Ibiza Cupra 1.8t. Maybe even a 110 TDI mk3 Ibiza Sport if I could find a good one (and where my user name comes from!!!) and chip the bleeder. Much more of a solid car than the Renault and you'd be surprised how many VW bits you recognised in amongst the trim and mechanicals!
Good points there! get the Cupra Rye you'd be able to keep up with us then!

·
Premium Member
25,430 Posts
Buy an old jalopy, don't shell out 6k now for something you're only going to keep for two years. Ok older cars aren't as fancy as new ones but they can be just as reliable and it will cost you less.

I've learned not to wee wee my money up the wall with loans and temporary cars the hard way - so I'd urge you to rethink your plan!

·
Premium Member
25,430 Posts
Or another way of putting it... your going to get a loan for 6k yeah? Presume you'll be taking it out over 3 years so budget about ?200'ish a month coming from your account. Compare that to buying a decent diesel for about a grand and then think of the money you'll save over those three years...

Ok interest rates on loans aren't high so its not that bad. But if your also planning on consolodating the loan in the future when you get a MKV it will work out better to do it that way.

·
Registered
3,596 Posts
Buy an old jalopy, don't shell out 6k now for something you're only going to keep for two years. Ok older cars aren't as fancy as new ones but they can be just as reliable and it will cost you less.
Picnic blanket, pigskin gloves & zip up wool lined boots are optional .

[:#]

·
Premium Member
25,430 Posts
Picnic blanket, pigskin gloves & zip up wool lined boots are optional .

[:#]
And? [:D] The feeling of being debt free and being able to save money instead of seeing it drippin' away does have its plus sides.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

I've learned not to wee wee my money up the wall with loans and temporary cars the hard way - so I'd urge you to rethink your plan!
But don't you think it would cost me lots in repair bills to buy an old car? Would I not be better just sticking with my Golf? Clio would still resell for ?3500-?4000 in two years.

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
I would recommend a 3 door Honda VTi 1.6. Its got 160 bhp and will get good mpg if u don't drive it hard. I'm sure u would be able to pick one up for around 6K. They also look discreet.

·
Premium Member
25,430 Posts

But don't you think it would cost me lots in repair bills to buy an old car? Would I not be better just sticking with my Golf? Clio would still resell for ?3500-?4000 in two years.
Well thats a good point, you could recoup some of the cost. Is your Golf all paid for?

Old cars are just as reliable as new. You just need to find one thats been looked after.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Well thats a good point, you could recoup some of the cost. Is your Golf all paid for?

Old cars are just as reliable as new. You just need to find one thats been looked after.
My Golf is not completely paid for. But I am hoping to get quite a good price for mine to be honest. When you look on autotrader and you see bog standard 99 1.6s going for ?5000, some at ?5200 with similar miles to mine, I would have thought I could get more than this. Mine has about ?2000 of mods including colour coding of strips and handles, FK -40mm shocks and springs, 18" RS4 wheels with NEW goodyear Eagle F1s, coded calipers, Hella RCCR rear lights, JVC MP3 player (?250), custom built sub which fits in the golf boot cubby on the left, some interior mods... all in quite a tidy package! Obviously I know you don't get money back from mods, but mine will surely have the edge looking better than a standard 1.8T! Not only will that give me the edge but I have brand new discs and pads all round, brand new clutch, brand new GEARBOX so people won't fear the dreaded failure again. Also my car has AirCon which many don't... What you reckon? more than ?5k? I would have thought so! I am gonna sell it on ebay.

·
Premium Member
25,430 Posts
I'd personally strip your mods and sell them seperately. Again, been there done that blah blah and you'll get more money that way.

The fact its colour coded, and has all new parts fitted makes it stand out better so you should have no probs selling up.

Have you thought of paying off your existing finance and putting the left over money in an investment plan for a couple of years?

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I'd personally strip your mods and sell them seperately. Again, been there done that blah blah and you'll get more money that way.
Yeh I did think about this too! BUT, the cost of having my suspension swapped with the stock suspension ?125+vat and the fact RS4 alloys are not worth that much anymore, I think it would be more sensible to sell it "as is" and get the advantage in the market. Obviously I will only appeal to a smaller number of potential buyers, but it would certainly appeal to lots of younger people with the engine only being a 1.6.

The fact its colour coded, and has all new parts fitted makes it stand out better so you should have no probs selling up.
Yeh I hope so.

Have you thought of paying off your existing finance and putting the left over money in an investment plan for a couple of years?
Yeh I guess I could do that. But then how would I buy my new car? I could get the clio, have peace of mind for 2 years and have 3.5-4k towards my next car. Also I only have 1 year left to pay off my golf... not too bad.

OR just keep the golf and hope nothing goes wrong???

My situation will totally change in the next 1.5 years when (IF) I get my PhD and get a job! [Y]

btw tabs, you any closer to your next golf?

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Rye, you say you have only one year left to pay off on the Golf, why don't you keep it for that year and then get rid when it owes you nothing?

I seem to remember you saying when your gearbox went that you had a Warranty Direct warranty on your Golf. Do you not trust this to cover any eventualities over the next year? Could you upgrade to the higher level of cover with WD for that year?

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well I have made a decision and it is a good one!! [<:eek:)] I am keeping my lovely Golf!!!

My car went to the garage on Tuesday and the head gasket has not gone! It was a water leak due to a loose clip on a pipe! But it all got fixed for free and I have decided it is best to keep the car now as it was such a minor thing! Had it been head gasket I'd be driving around in a clio now. So to celebrate, here are some shots I took of the bad boy! P.S. it is not clean!!

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

·
Registered
248 Posts
drive it into the sea dude!

btw will see you tomorrow for help with exams lol :p

tabs is right, its not good being in debt, especially over something so materialistic and devaluing as a car.

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
Well Rye, to say it isn't clean, it still looks good mate. Some nice artsy shots there aswell. [:p]

Glad you're keeping it tho, you'd only regret selling it anyway! [H]

So now that you are keeping it, what are you thinking of doing to it next? [;)]

·
Registered
942 Posts
Good news Rye, you keep doing this planning on getting rid of it then keeping it, face it you just cant bring yourself to get rid.[:D][:p]

Some good pics there.[Y]

1 - 20 of 21 Posts