Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im looking to buy a new plasma, 42 inch thing, the old tv finaly gave up mid Team america dvd ,

What do i look for ratio pixals etc.

·
Registered
674 Posts
What sort of budget do you have, and what sort of spec do you want/need?

I can suggest the Hyundai ImageQuest HQL421SR or the HQL421HR (standard res and high res versions) both available from Scan (www.scan.co.uk).

These are HD Compatible (not HD Ready because they dont have a HDMI port) through the component ports, but if your not looking to get HD TV in the next 2-3 years (sky's is not available for another year min and will be a fortune to start) then it doesnt really matter.

·
Registered
5,132 Posts

I can suggest the Hyundai ImageQuest HQL421SR or the HQL421HR (standard res and high res versions) both available from Scan (www.scan.co.uk).

These are HD Compatible (not HD Ready because they dont have a HDMI
port) through the component ports, but if your not looking to get HD TV
in the next 2-3 years (sky's is not available for another year min and
will be a fortune to start) then it doesnt really matter.
Actually Sky's HD broadcasting begins in January with a well documented
list of channels available. Also HDMI is not necessary for HD - it is
just another form of digital connection that can allow the audio signal
to be carried with the visual signal. Its main purpose is security -
its high bandwidth allows for very secure encryption and therefore will
prevent people from copying stuff in the long term. Sky's new HD box
will use component to carry the signal.

Budget is very important when it comes to panels but also the decision
of whether you want a display panel or tv is also important. A TV such
as the Panasonic PV500 or Pioneer 436XDE are complete solutions
featuring all the connections, wiring, speakers and a freeview tuner
(usually). A display panel has no speakers or tuner and is intended for
a home cinema where you have a separate amp, speakers, Sky etc.

I'm looking into buying a screen next year and will hopefully be
upgrading my amp and speakers in the process. This may cost a small
fortune though.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well now thats onions, want to spend up to ?2000, on it, dont have a tv aerial only sky plus, pioneer surround sound dvd thing and ps 2, so i guess i need three scarts , dont have the sound going through thr surround sound all the time either.

·
Registered
5,132 Posts
Do you want the sound to go through the amp all the time or not? If you
are willing to do it that way then you will probably end up with a
better screen.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i guess it would be ok doing that , if the panel would be better, is there a best brand or min spec

·
Registered
5,132 Posts
I would look at Panasonic, Fujitsu, Pioneer. The Pioneers tend to cost
more as they generally just do the complete package but I'm sure I've
seen somewhere that they just have a panel.

The current 8th generation panel from Panasonic is supposed to be very
good but its not a true hi-def screen. They have also just brought out
a new one - the TH42PHD8 which is a hi-def screen and should be v.good
- this is what I'm most likely to buy but it is just over ?2000.

·
Registered
674 Posts

These are HD Compatible (not HD Ready because they dont have a HDMI port) through the component ports, but if your not looking to get HD TV in the next 2-3 years (sky's is not available for another year min and will be a fortune to start) then it doesnt really matter.
Actually Sky's HD broadcasting begins in January with a well documented list of channels available. Also HDMI is not necessary for HD - it is just another form of digital connection that can allow the audio signal to be carried with the visual signal. Its main purpose is security - its high bandwidth allows for very secure encryption and therefore will prevent people from copying stuff in the long term. Sky's new HD box will use component to carry the signal.

Budget is very important when it comes to panels but also the decision of whether you want a display panel or tv is also important. A TV such as the Panasonic PV500 or Pioneer 436XDE are complete solutions featuring all the connections, wiring, speakers and a freeview tuner (usually). A display panel has no speakers or tuner and is intended for a home cinema where you have a separate amp, speakers, Sky etc.

I'm looking into buying a screen next year and will hopefully be upgrading my amp and speakers in the process. This may cost a small fortune though.
Not Picking bones here, but to actually use the HD READY logo, your screen must have the HDMI or HDCP port on the back. These are needed for the copyright protection that HD will use to broadcast things, and also will be the only way to connect a HD DVD player. You also need a couple of other things including a certain resolution etc.

Sky will start broadcasting TEST programmes in Jan, but will not be launching their "SKY + HDTV Box" for another 8 months - the tender to actually build the boxes has still not been given out, and they are still deciding on specs. SKY and BBC have both been working together for a very long time to get the technical bit sorted (interlacing specs, bandwidth etc). But believe me, they will be using either HDMI or HDCP connections. If you use the component ports (then you can call the plasma HD COMPATIBLE) you are actually down grading the quality of the signal.

www.avforums.com is a great place to read up about it, but alot of posts on there can be rumours, whispers, and gossip. I actually supply 99% of the retailers in the UK with Hyundai product and we are about to launch a whole new range of products in November including a very tasty 40" LCD with built in DVB-T Tuner and MMP (14 in 1 card/multimedia Player).

·
Registered
5,132 Posts
Sorry but I disagree. After much reading on avforums you don't have to
have hdmi to get HD. This is a common misconception at least at
present. In the future it will all be hdmi but not yet. You can output
a 720P signal or 1080i signal via component with no loss of quality
when compared to hdmi or dvi. It depends more on the screen you're
sending it too.

These are the requirements for the HD logo -

Requirements for the logo ?HD ready?

The EICTA "HD ready" Minimum Requirements for display devices are neutral towards the

technology used (plasma, LCD, DLP, DLA, LCoS, CRT, ...) as well as the implementation

thereof (flat panel, rear projection, front projection, direct view, ...).

A display device has to cover the following requirements to be awarded the logo ?HD ready?:

1. Display, display engine

? The minimum native resolution of the display or display engine is 720

physical lines in wide aspect ratio.

2. Video Interfaces

? The display device accepts HD input via:

o Analogue YPbPr1, and

o DVI or HDMI

? HD capable inputs accept the following HD video formats:

o 1280x720 @ 50 and 60Hz progressive (?720p?), and

o 1920x1080 @ 50 and 60Hz interlaced (?1080i?)

? The DVI or HDMI input supports content protection (HDCP)

which means component is included.

There have also been pics of the sky hd box floating round though how
accurate these are I don't know. Supposedly the box will feature
component outputs and may have hdmi also. The long term goal is for it
to all be hdmi so they can include the hdcp encryption.

·
Registered
674 Posts
The current range of Hyundai Plasma TV's dont have the HDMI or HDCP (which will be the encription copyright bit apparently now) and we could not use the HD READY logo. So many manufacturers came up with HD COMPATIBLE when being used with the component ports.

All this apparently does is downscale the quality of the image, but if Im honest while I was at the I.F.A Show in Berlin (the biggest European Consumer Electronics Show) on the Hyundai stand we had a 42" Plasma connected via the HDMI port showing SAT 1 (German TV channel) HDD test broadcasts (flowers, trees etc) along side a 50" plamsa which was showing the same broadcast but connected via the component. I personally couldnt see ANY difference in the quality of the image even with the bigger screen! And when I asked people, they couldnt either - just goes to show..

Ive actually waited for the new models to launch for my own house, I want both HDMI and HDCP ports as I will keep my screen for a long time. The actual average lifespan of a TV is only 5 year believe it or not. But the country has gone mental for HD TV Ready products, when half the country still hasnt even gone to Digital yet! Ive had Sky + since it launched, and will more then likely have "SKY HD" when it finally comes out but I do always get the latest and newest gagets! Already trying to work out whether I buy an Xbox 360 then sell it for a PS3!

·
Registered
794 Posts
Lost me on it along time ago, so i need a hd ready go for a brand named product,
well start of with this question...

Do you want

A) a Plasma with tuner and speakers..like a normal TV these days

B) a pannel type plama where its just a display device and you need an amp and cable/sat decorder for making the picture.

Pros and cons of the two types are setups need to be asked first. I brought a pannel type , no speakers or tuner.

Then after that I would make sure its HD ready ..

The panny series 8 nikb I heard its not that good. They say the 4 series was the best, then the 5 and then 6. Series 7 is rubbish and 8 even more.

·
Registered
5,132 Posts
I've heard similar things in some respects in that the glass used is
cheaper. However the 8th gen is very good and by and large people are
very pleased with them. As with anything like this I suspect a lot of
it is just jealousy. I have seen pics of the new screens and the
picture is just stunning. The PHD8 sceen I've been talking about has
only just come out in the past 10 days so its way to early to say that
it's better or worse because they won't even have been run in yet.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Do i need to know about brightness , prob only and old wives tale but i thought hthey work better in the dark and sat in front of them.

·
Registered
5,132 Posts
Plasma screens are easier to view in a darker room. LCD screens are easier to view in a brightly lit room compare to plasmas.

·
Registered
5,132 Posts
All a matter of opinion imo, depends on what you want. LCD is more
expensive per inch of tv. It doesn't cope as well with fast moving
images as plasma but works vetter in brighter conditions. Plasmas also
tend to have better contrast, deeper blacks etc. Both are very good
though.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts