Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's been a while since I was last in the UK, and at that time I didn't own a Golf - now I've discovered this forum and people talk about a "MAF" - would someone be kind enough to tell what the h*** it is and how do you cook it? Everybody seems to know except me...

·
Registered
5,132 Posts
A MAF is a mass air flow meter. Basically it measures the air getting
into your car and the oxygen so it can relay info back to the ecu. That
way the right air/fuel mixture can be delivered to the cylinders.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys - I've been trying to twist my tongue around al sorts of possibilities! (All of them FAR from the mark) We DO NOT call it that here, needless to say.

Much obliged for the input - I'm only guessing but is this the thing that has a nasty tendency of getting clogged?

Ian

·
Registered
4,743 Posts
Where is the MAF? And is there any easy way to know if it's working ok? Is there a certain 'look' it should have?

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks very much - when I looked I knew I'd found the right bit - the hand was still attached... (PM if you've lost one recently)

·
Registered
128 Posts
There should be 4 screws to remove the whole unit after removing the hose. should be able to unclip a cable from behind the sensor then just spray the sensor and sorrounding parts with electrical contact cleaner (bout 3 quid from halfords). My Idle Revs were fluctuating badly until i cleaned the maf, didnt see the really dramatic results i was told to expect though [:mad:] but did help. Also would recommend the 20k booster from halfords (bout 20 quid) just spray the whole can through the inlet manifold while revving the car... experienced a lot of smoke billowing out exhaust when i drove it again but turned out to be part of the cleaning apparently [:cool:]...restored a fair amount of power.... all worth trying for the hell of it..... [:p]

Have fun [:D]

·
Registered
4,743 Posts
cheers for that, I don't know if mine's faulty or anything, but with
the number of posts on here about hassle related to MAF's I think it's
a good idea to keep mine looked after!

(Wish I could say that for the interior - it's a state!!)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Smile [:)]
Fantastic photos, you will now have many enthusiasts cleaning their MAF's. I had no idea where to find , or even knew one existed. I'm going to give mine a right good going over , see if cures problem . Let U know.

BRILLIANT SITE , I've just found out about it.

Cheers

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
another way to recoup some performance from your maf is to apply electrical contact grease to the connector that relays the signals to the ecu.

the grease is quite expensive as it is a special grease that helps conduct electricity and prevent corrosion of the terminals. simply pull the plug off and liberally apply it to both male and female connectors (gold plated ones) and put the plug back in.

this should cure any flatspots you have throught the rev range which were caused by a dodgy connection due to corrosion of the terminals or build up of dirt/moisture over time.

grease can be bought from places like RS or maplins.

it worked wonders on my V5!

thats ?4.99 please [:)]

·
Registered
128 Posts
another way to recoup some performance from your maf is to apply electrical contact grease to the connector that relays the signals to the ecu.

the grease is quite expensive as it is a special grease that helps conduct electricity and prevent corrosion of the terminals. simply pull the plug off and liberally apply it to both male and female connectors (gold plated ones) and put the plug back in.

this should cure any flatspots you have throught the rev range which were caused by a dodgy connection due to corrosion of the terminals or build up of dirt/moisture over time.

grease can be bought from places like RS or maplins.

it worked wonders on my V5!

thats ?4.99 please [:)]
Is this the stuff? can anyone recommend it or any others??

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=29006&doy=7m6D

Cheers

·
Registered
4,749 Posts
There should be 4 screws to remove the whole unit after removing the hose. should be able to unclip a cable from behind the sensor then just spray the sensor and sorrounding parts with electrical contact cleaner (bout 3 quid from halfords). My Idle Revs were fluctuating badly until i cleaned the maf, didnt see the really dramatic results i was told to expect though [:mad:] but did help. Also would recommend the 20k booster from halfords (bout 20 quid) just spray the whole can through the inlet manifold while revving the car... experienced a lot of smoke billowing out exhaust when i drove it again but turned out to be part of the cleaning apparently [:cool:]...restored a fair amount of power.... all worth trying for the hell of it..... [:p]

Have fun [:D]
I had a look round halfords but couldnt find it whats the booster called please ???????

·
Registered
128 Posts
yeah its literally called 20k booster, it comes in a long blackl box but its a pretty large spraycan inside, should be near all the engine additive stuff (thats where it was in southampton!) Let me know if you need any more info

Cheers [;)]

1 - 20 of 33 Posts