Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

I just replaced the standard VW audio system with a Kenwood KDC-M6024 MP3 CD player. On demonstration to a friend he pointed out that there was no sound from the rear speakers. I set the fader to Rear and this was confirmed as there was no sound. On inspection of the rear speakers it turns out that there are no speakers installed in the first place!

Im thinking of taking the car back to VW but worried that they will not install rear speakers as the VW audio system has been changed. The car is Match spec (1.6 engine). Has any other Match owners been caught out with this? Am I the only Match owner lacking rear speakers? Please help.[:(]

Jason

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
They probably weren't standard,what model of headunit did you take out?
It was the standard Beta radio-cassette with the in-dash CD player. The Kenwood head-unit sits in the lower section of the central console (above the heater controls) and a in-dash slot pocket takes the place of the VW CD unit.

Jason

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
They're easy enough to fit yourself if you fancy DIYing it,any half decent 16cm set from the likes of Kenwood,Alpine,Sony,Pioneer etc for less then ?50 will work just fine.

Chris.
Thanks for your reply Chris and to everyone else. I was just so surprised to find the lack of rear speakers when they are standard on almost all new cars! I'll try some Alpine or Kenwood units like you suggested.

Jason

·
Registered
34 Posts
when you say rear, do you mean the parcel shelf?

As mine has none(been cut out, but just a blank hole), but have speakers on the side where rear passengers sit that dont work. havnt a clue how to resolve it, may need to get a sparky round to solve it.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Andyc6 - there is no standard place in (or near) the parcel shelf for speakers, the rear speakers are mounted in the sides where the back seat is.  If you have speakers (or an ex-speaker hole) in the parcel shelf, then they have been fitted there by a previous owner, not by VW.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Andyc6 - there is no standard place in (or near) the parcel shelf for speakers, the rear speakers are mounted in the sides where the back seat is. If you have speakers (or an ex-speaker hole) in the parcel shelf, then they have been fitted there by a previous owner, not by VW.
i realise that, but wasnt sure if any parcel shelf speakers were included in any golfs.

My wiring for the stereo had also been butchered by a previous owner. Ive no idea why because surely spending a tenner for the correct adapter is easier.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hi

Sorry i haven't been around for a few days, had to attend my sister's wedding over the weekend. Anyway regarding the missing rear speakers, would sound quality be better if I was to get some parcel-shelf mounted speakers (the ones you cut out holes to mount - NOT the boxy units that sit on the parcel shelf) or some OEM/aftermarket jobs to put in the rear doors? I would love to know which setup would do my Kenwood headunit's soundquality justice!

Jason

·
Super Moderator
50,244 Posts
Yes,some shelf mounted 6 X 9s,or even 7 X 10s would sound just fine,although they'd sound even finer if you put them in a stealth shelf from the likes of Auto Acosutics,and they'll be out of sight as well,so less likely to attract Joe Scumbag and his mates.

Chris.

·
Registered
5,416 Posts
Just to add if your planning on using subwoofers i wouldn't use 6x9's or any parcel shelf speakers for that matter.. better off spending money on a decent set of components and amp and have great frontal sound... and leave the bass in the backgroud.. works well with the golf mkiv.. as this is how i've got my system set up.. mid-bass and mid tweeter in the door panel and super tweeter mounted on the dash and mine sounds mint now as ive disconnected my rear speakers now...

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
Hi

I just replaced the standard VW audio system with a Kenwood M-6024 MP3 CD player. On demonstration to a friend he pointed out that there was no sound from the rear speakers. I set the fader to Rear and this was confirmed as there was no sound. On inspection of the rear speakers it turns out that there are no speakers installed in the first place!

Im thinking of taking the car back to VW but worried that they will not install rear speakers as the VW audio system has been changed. The car is Match spec (1.6 engine). Has any other Match owners been caught out with this? Am I the only Match owner lacking rear speakers? Please help.[:(]

Jason
my car is a match too, had it from new, no rear speakers, saves vw money i guess, bit tight. i been going to do them myself but cba really. i dont know if the wiring is there for them or not either, some say it will be, some say it wont.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I've a Bora and i know there's only 2 speakers. Is there anyway of telling, without taking off the back door cards, if there's wiring there for speakers?
There is NO wiring for the speakers. I discovered this when I had some Kenwood jobs fitted in the doors. But glad I got this done as the sound quality is simply awesome with the Kenwood KDC-M6024 MP3 head unit.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts