Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have to look for a new telly Plasma/LCD???

The telly we have in the living room is about to go bang!!!

What to go for?? Dont know much about all the new stuff so info needed, Whats H. D. ready???

What has the best picture Plasma or LCD...???

Looking for 28 - 32 and in the region of ?1300 whats the best...[:)]

Thanks..

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
Hiya John,

H.D. Ready stands for 'High Definition ready', something to do with the unit having an internal ATSC tuner and will have a minimum guaranteed picture quality resolution for CRT sets (if it is a plasma or lcd it need only have the higher res and be able to view in 16:9 as most don't have built in tuners, i think..... [:$])

Plasma's tend to have a wider viewable angle wheras LCD's tend to haver brighter colour reproduction and i seem to remember reading something about one type having 'black' display areas and the other 'charcoal grey', not too sure what the relevance of that is tbh mate, i'm sure one of the AV guru's will be along shortly..... [:p][:D]

Steve

·
Registered
51 Posts
29-32"  - I'd stick to LCD.  The latest LG 32" looks nice.  I have a 26" Loewe Concept for the bedroom.  Great picture, but for the kitchen I'll be looking at a LG.

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Cheers guys for all the ideas..

I was looking at this one in Comet today,

clicky

salesman was talking about stuff that was going straight over my head regarding the telly..

I just think it looks good but dont know if it's any good if you know what i mean loll.

as i say complete d!ck when it comes to tv's.

·
Registered
6,626 Posts
salesman was talking about stuff that was going straight over my head regarding the telly..
Never let sales people do that. Just say, I don't know what you're talking about mate can you please explain. If they seriously want to sell you an expensive television then they should be prepared to answer questions clearly and properly. I always insist that stuff is demonstrated before I buy, it's my hard-earned cash, of course I only do this if I have real intention of buying.

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Never let sales people do that. Just say, I don't know what you're talking about mate can you please explain. If they seriously want to sell you an expensive television then they should be prepared to answer questions clearly and properly. I always insist that stuff is demonstrated before I buy, it's my hard-earned cash, of course I only do this if I have real intention of buying.
I think thats why the telly isnt here now matey, cant stand getting pushed into something that i know nothing about...

Thought i would get some advice from you guys first before my money goes down the pan..

Cheers Gary, if i do go for that telly youve saved me a few bob mate.

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
OK sorry for the quick repy earlier I was a bit busy at the time, the Panasonic set I have recommended is a dam good telly check this thread from the AV forum ....

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=253670

and for the price you can't go wrong.

TV's up to 32" are all LCD's most plasmas start at 37".
Cheers for the info Del..

Joined avforums this morning and im now looking at the LG clicky

Really good price[:D] People on there seem to think it's a great telly.

·
Registered
5,132 Posts
If you want to spend ?1300 and are willing to go for a bigger tv I would highly recommend the current 42" Panasonic plasma. You can get it here . If you join av-forums you can get the same screen but with a stand or wall mount and a terminal board for ?1295.

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Cheers NikB,

I think the 42" would just look a bit too big for our living room matey..

Looking at the av forum, im more [:cool:] than ever before.loll

·
Registered
5,132 Posts
You'd be surprised actually. I recently got a 42" plasma and now its on the wall I reckon I could easily have gone for a 50". Yes its a big screen but it doesn't take up any depth so it offsets it a little.

Have a look at my thread here . The tv behind the plasma is my 32" crt so you can compare the size difference. Its worth going to look at them before buying - the picture type between lcd and plasma is very different. I really don't like the lcd image, just find it too sharp. The plasma image is a little more natural but other people prefer it the other way round so best to judge for yourself.

I know what you mean about reading stuff on avforums - I've spent months doing my research.

·
Registered
861 Posts
if you want the latest plasma get the http://www.empiredirect.co.uk/content/products/details/index.asp?modelcode=PAN-TH65PV500B (there is a pioneer thats as good but its more expensive and i cant remember the model) [there are smaller ones :) ]

The new viera is a vast improvement over previous models. I have viewed this model and its the closest to the best crt ive seen. Although the dealer was playing a hdtv demo which obviously will look better compared to standard dvd with max 500lines.

There are no current hdtv/hdmi broadcasts so i would put off until some decent channels come out (unless your busting for a plasma).

Component output from you equipment will get the best picture but i believe an rgb video only scart will still let the colours out. (get one from richersounds, spend at least 40)

·
Registered
5,132 Posts
A bargain at over ?8k!!! The current viera's are actually just about to be replaced. The 42PV500 has caesed production and the new model should launch in Feb. Don't forget that his budget is ?1300 and the Viera is over ?2k.

As for component being the best - its now a close second to HDMI though some people still prefer it to its digital counterpart.

I went for a hi-def plasma on the basis that I can view upscaled dvds, hi-def xbox 360 and all the hi-def material thats on the net which looks stunning. Sky hdtv will launch in Feb but is likely to cost a fortune and the channels are still limited to some sport, some movies and the documentary channels.

·
Registered
861 Posts
oops didnt notice the budget. So no point in recomending the

Russ Andrews Kimber PowerKord wattgate 320

I purchased 2 of these, for amp and cd player and the improvement is vast. I believe these may plug into most plasmas (if they have the kettle type plug)

i thought they were a gimmick but defo helps alot more detail get released.

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Over 8K for a telly loll

Im off to the shops for a look around, not taking my wallet or cards with me so i will be back without a telly.

Hate this type of thing when you dont know anything about what you want to buy....

Spotty faced sales people all over you like a rash[8o|]

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I ended up ordering a Loewe Concept

clicky

Pick it up next week so now i need a good DVD Recorder and some good quality cables.

Any ideas NikB???

1 - 20 of 67 Posts