Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had my Bora PD115 since christmas.

I have to admit that i was expecting better mpg, it takes roughly ?37.00 to fill up and i am getting 420 miles on this.

I drive sensibly and i use cruise as much as possible, i only use 6th gear above 60.

I am getting nearly this out my 1.8T golf.

Whats everone else getting? any tips to getter mpg with this model?

·
Registered
131 Posts
so u getting roughly 42mpg then >?which dependant on load driving style etc isnt to bad...i get 650 from a tank and its 57 litres roughly from my pd150 on cruise all the way..A1,M25 etc at 60/70mph and flowing traffic and i can only get 50mpg and thats in winter in summer i seen a regular 54mpg.Has it been serviced lately and running ok too.

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
Do a search on vent/venting - that'll fill you in on how to use the other 15 litres of your fuel tank. Then record your receipts and do an analysis of exact figures not OBC and you should be getting between 43 and 48mpg as an average.

I vent the tank and get about 500 miles from 50 litres if that's any help (about 44/45mpg as an average)

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My journey to work i mostly 5th gear for 10 minutes than sitting in traffic for 5 minutes, 2/3 times a week a run for about 45 1 hour mostly 5th gear.

Ive not had it serviced, was just done when i bought the car from the stealer i bought it from, seems to be running fine though.

·
Registered
3,956 Posts
Since I've owned mine, I've had an average of 46.7 mpg.

However depends how you drive it, I've recently changed jobs and am now going against the traffic and am doing a 40 mile blast (and I mean BLAST) down the motorway away from London and as a result my average MPG per journey is now in the low 40's.

Here are a few stats from my meticulously maintained (yet not boring to me and I don't care if you think I'm sad) spreadsheet....

Total Days 242

Total Cost 1,497.36

Total Miles 18357

Total litres 1786

Total gals 393

Total Mins 29799

Total hours 497

Average MPG 46.75

Average MPL 10.28

Average L/100km 6.05

MFD error (MPG) -0.53

Average Range 566

Ave remaining miles 56

Ave remaining litres 5.39

Ave days per fill up 7

Ave miles per tank 510

Ave cost per tank 41.59

Ave cost per mile (?) 0.082

Ave cost per day (?) 6.19

Ave miles per day 76

Ave cost per litre (?) 0.84

Projected Annual Miles 27,687

Projected Monthly Miles 2,307

Projected Weekly Miles 532

Projected Annual Cost 2,258.41

Projected Montlly Cost 188.20

Projected Weekly Cost 43.43

.... If you want a copy of the spreadsheet PM me !

·
Registered
131 Posts
interesting reading there ...erm i think tank venting is the way forward ...just mean u can as seen ..get a few more litres in ...max the tank out is 62 litres but most ive got in was 60.8..must have been running on fumes ..if u wanna know how to steve send me a pm seeing as u r a local [:D]

·
Old Skool UK-MKIV member
1,594 Posts
I usually get around 450 a tank, I do sit in a bit of traffic getting into London of a morning and rarely go under 80 on the motorway. Even if you do the venting trick, your still gonna get the same mpg as you are already.

·
Registered
40 Posts
In my PD130 over the last 7000 miles I have averaged 50.3mpg, this is nearly all rush hour driving but does include trips to offey, supermarket etc etc. I dont thrash it often but nearly always go at the speed of the fast lane if that makes sense.

·
Registered
137 Posts
i've had 720 miles out of my 130 without too much effort, 54mpg tank ave

i think it depends a lot on your journey length, mine seems to return best mpg with a long journey and a gentle start

·
Registered
874 Posts
I'm only getting about 43-45mpg these days (~500miles) but used to get closer to 48-50mpg.

When I first got it and did a different commute without any passengers, I could see 56mpg on a full tank!!

If you want to check you're mpg accurately, don't vent the tank because then you won't be able to fill up with exactly the same amount as you have used to cover the distance.

Best method is to fill to the 1st click and reset milage. Once empty fill to click again and note amount of litres used. Divide that by 4.54609 to get into gallons and Roberts your fathers brother.

·
Registered
23 Posts
"Best method is to fill to the 1st click and reset milage. Once empty fill to click again and note amount of litres used. Divide that by 4.54609 to get into gallons and Roberts your fathers brother."

Brilliant methodoly, one I shall adopt.

·
Registered
23 Posts
"Best method is to fill to the 1st click and reset milage. Once empty fill to click again and note amount of litres used. Divide that by 4.54609 to get into gallons and Roberts your fathers brother."

Brilliant methodology, one I shall adopt.

·
Registered
796 Posts
I'm looking at about 550 miles from a tank at around 80 on the motorway, which according to the computer is somewhere in the region of 47 mpg, something like that ballpark

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
I obviously ahve something wrong then!

My fuel light usually lights up at around 380 miles!

I rarely do any long distance journeys, but also rarely blast it round the streets.

Im seeing about 37mpg per tank at the mo - How can I find out what's wrong?

·
Registered
189 Posts
I manage to get about 550 miles on average on a full tankful. As has been said before, I find that if I get a gentle start to my journey from cold, I get much improved mpg overall. Unlike petrol engines, with diesels it pays to have the rev counter sitting on the maximum torque level (on the 115bhp this is I think between 1900 and 2200rpm)So if you travel around using sixth gear a lot and the rev counter is below 1900, your actualy using more fuel than if you keep it in fifth with revs higher.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Quote: posted by Wee Man on 17/03/2005 23:13:21

I manage to get about 550 miles on average on a full tankful. As has been said before, I find that if I get a gentle start to my journey from cold, I get much improved mpg overall. Unlike petrol engines, with diesels it pays to have the rev counter sitting on the maximum torque level (on the 115bhp this is I think between 1900 and 2200rpm)So if you travel around using sixth gear a lot and the rev counter is below 1900, your actualy using more fuel than if you keep it in fifth with revs higher.

Thats spot on. My fuel consumption behaviours like this but I've never achieved the 600 miles mark (maybe 570). I get better mpg in [email protected] than using 6th.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I will try what Wee Man has said and see if theres a difference, there does seem to be a big variation in mpg's on similar cars, i suppose down to mileage and type of journey / driving technique.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Hullo!

I have a question and thought here might be an okay place to put it, I put ?20 in my tank when it's nearly empty and get between 190 and 200 miles to get the needle back to the same place. My average after my 25 mile trip to or from work makes the mpg read between 40 and 45 mpg. Is there a way to tell if the in car car-puter is accurate?!

I hope someone can help, cheers

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
Quote: posted by BlackSeedyEye on 22/03/2005 11:49:46

...Is there a way to tell if the in car car-puter is accurate?!

Yes, zero the trip, measure brim to brim figures and then work out how much fuel it took to do the miles. It gets more accurate the longer you do it, so spread it over a few fill-ups. I've got figures for individual tank fulls ranging from 69mpg to 31mpg so the longer you take to average the better the data.

I'm sad, and have all the details of every drop of juice that's gone into my car and how many miles it's done. 42.9mpg is an average over 23k miles in the last year.

edit: figures from spreadsheet

Total mileage: 23,079

Miles p day: 48.44

Ave mpg: 42.910

Total Cost: ?3,239.35 (cost includes tax, insurance and servicing)

Fuel cost p month: ?130.21

Fuel cost p day: ?4.28

Cost p mile: ?0.12

Owned for 1.305 years

Comparison with previous cars:

BMW 320D Touring - 39.28mpg

VW Polo 1.4 - 40.38mpg

Mercedes ML320 - 19.39mpg

Mercedes C220CDi - 38.91mpg

Volvo V40 2.0 - 30.30mpg

VW Corrado 16v - 32.57mpg

end edit

IMHO if you wait for the click, you'll get a different reading every time as the air in the diesel/tank will cause the trip at different levels dependant on atmosphere/pump speed etc etc. Hence the benefit from venting the tank as you fill it, you'll also get another 5-10 litres in!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts