Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondered what sort of mpg should we expect from a PD115?

It's in a Passat but I guess it should return simialr to the Golf ones?

At the moment we seem to get 43-45 from it.

Ta

Scott

·
Registered
16 Posts
I dont want to sound obvious on this one but it really depends on how you drive it. When i bought mine the guy who had it before me was getting 47-48 since i've had it i got 40 but i tend to do a lot of around town driving and i like to flex the 115 every now and then. i did 1100 miles to cornwall and back a few weeks ago driving a lot of the way at 95 - 100 but in cornwall because of it's crapness i only got up to 50 mph the overall mpg was 45. I was at one point getting around 65 mpg doing the 50 though. I havent got cruise but my friend who has recons he can get with it set at 80 on a long journey around 55 - 60 mpg. If you can drive below the turbo, hard but possible, you will get phenomanal mpg it just isnt that easy. How many people in this community can drive at 60???? it would be interesting to know what mpg someone would get if they did becuse i think it would put the manufacturers claimed to shame.....[:D][:D]

·
Registered
59 Posts
On the motorway I always get about 60mpg travelling at 80-90mph. You have to learn a technique, or you will only get around 50mpg at these speeds. (I once managed to get 23mpg at 125mph!)

In town I get about 45-50mpg if driven sensibly and 35-40 if driven hard.

On the A roads I get around 50-55 regardless of how much I push it, which is great.

·
Old Skool UK-MKIV member
1,594 Posts
Quote: posted by asgh4r on 06/08/2004 12:00:49

I have a 115pd also, how much do you lot get off a tank? I get around 360- before the light comes on! How about you lot?

Usually around 480 miles on a tank, if I dive like a grandad I get about 520-540.

·
Registered
796 Posts
Cruise definitely helps. I drive around 130 to 160 miles a day (depending on which site I'm working at) of which 120 miles of those is the M4. I fill up every four days or so, or thereabouts.

If I keep it between 80 and 85 with cruise I'm looking at a readout of approx 53/54mpg over the whole journey. In busier traffic and with spurts from 70 to 100 with no cruise I'm looking at around 47/48mpg over the same journey.

On 50mph A road bimbles with no overtaking opportunities and conservative driving (popping into neutral on downhills!) (yes I'm now an mpg geek!) I'm looking at around 60 on the readout...

I drive a Bora 115 PD. Will post an update in a couple of weeks as I'm geting 18 inch RS6's and am interested to see the effect of the extra rolling resistance...

·
Registered
80 Posts
I get on average around 51-53mpg on a motorway run thats doing a speed of about 80mph. I have found since having the car remapped at Jabba that I can get more mpg from her if I drive a bit faster than I did before. When it was stock I was getting 57-58mpg on a motorway run.

Town driving it usually returns about 40-42mpg due to the stop/start nature.

I can get about 500miles from a full tank of the dark stuff which I'm quite happy with...all depends on whether I flex my right foot, (with the Jabba remap its hard not to).

·
Old Skool UK-MKIV member
1,594 Posts
Quote: posted by Trent on 07/08/2004 12:41:03

400 miles from fill up to red light. Although I am about to try biomass style diesel. Any body have an opinion on this???

Biomass style diesel [?], whats that then [:I][:I]

·
Registered
16 Posts
Biodiesel is a diesel that is 5% mineral diesel(normal stuff) then the rest is made up off vegtable oil animal oils etc good to the enviroment in the fact that it's made from a sustainable source I.E rapesead. If you have ever watched top gear Jeremy ran an old volvo on vegtable oil from a chip shop. Which is also possible. If you bought vegtable neat and used it your car it would cost around 30p a litre rather than 80p. and volkswagen recommend it. they recon there cars can use a 100% biodiesel grade and fully garuntee the working of the engine. But the oil needs to be mixed a little with meths to give a little more boost.

http://www.veggiepower.org.uk/main.htm

In my hunt for the stuff yesterday i ended up doing 80 miles on the red light or fuel refill warning on how far has anybody else dared to go?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Nope no real disadvantage, it can be a little more costly but if it is supported enougth it will come down in price(to equal normall stuff). Using vegetable oil has its advangtages but I think one of the main disadvantages is if you made your own from the local chippy's excess of vegetable oil you would drive around emitting smells of fried fish and chips and from the chinese fried rice and chicken. and the mexican......etc. It is also thicker than diesel so it needs to be preheated to make it thiner or mixed with some kind of thinner. Then legally you have to declare it to the tax man....[^] who will slap 50% more duty on it... my ***....

http://www.vegoilmotoring.com/

·
Registered
874 Posts
I get 48-50mpg from a full tank which equates to about 500-550 miles. Mixture of gentle and 'not so gentle' driving!

Thats after being chipped and having 18 in alloys. I find cruise actually makes the MPG worse. I tried the motorway trip home from my g/f's parents house at the same time every weekend driving at the same speed and every time I drove with the cruise on I got 2-3mpg less.

·
Registered
3,956 Posts
I've got an average of 46.4 mpg since i've had the car. Spend a fair bit of time in stop start conditions and tend to drive it "like I stole it" a fair bit as well.

Interestingly enough the difference between the MFD and the actual (based on litres to the first click (not venting) over miles, then averaged to date) is suprisingly little.

My MFD is 0.26 mpg down on what I'm actually doing. This could be due to the click point on different fuel pumps being different. I'm very suprised at how accurate the MFD is as i've heard a lot of talk on here that they are a little optomistic, this is NOT the case in my experience....... must be a 'petrol-head' moan.

I would also be interested in the 'method' as described above for getting the best mpg ? Since i've fitted my boost gauge i've found that trying to drive 'off' turbo (no boost shown) is the best. This is very difficult to do but can just be done at 60-65 mph at or around 1900 rpm (drive like your mum !) , any faster then the boost seems to sit at arround 0.25 of a bar regardless.

........Just re-read this post before submitting, HOW BORING I AM !

·
Registered
69 Posts
This week I have been trying to see what was the maximum mileage i could get from my 115PD Golf, no driving above the speed limits at all and always changing gera before the turbo kicks in.

I only got 479 miles from a full tank before the light came on, was using Shell V-Power Diesel and figures work out to be:

Miles: 479
Litres used to fill up again: 47.02 (Gallons 10.34)
MPG achieved: 46.32
Cost of Diesel: 98.9p (?46.50 full tank) works out to be 9.7p per mile.

To be honest I thought topping 500 miles should of been easy the way I drove.

Would be interested to see how other peoples figures compare ?

Des

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.