Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys ive got a gt tdi 150 and i was wondering what mods i could do to it to make it 'better'?
Its supposedly been remapped but i dont know for sure, its got what i believe are 18" audi alloys on it and eyebrows. Its got r32 side skirts and a front splitter cant think which one it is tho!
Any ideas what i can do to it to make it look better, drive better? Cheap as possible but i suppose price isnt an issue! You only live once lol
Im getting some coilovers in a couple of weeks so theres my first mod since ivd had it

Thanks in advance for the replies ?

·
Registered
3,437 Posts
Aquick search on here will come up trumps!

At the end of the day, do what YOU want to it and not what everyone says is cool or youHAVE to do. Personalise the mods to suit you.

·
Registered
3,437 Posts
It sounds pretty good already, especially if you are getting coilies for it!

Post up a few pics and we may get some inspirational ideas to give you based on what it looks like.

I would say an EGR delete is worthwhile, as is a decat.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Whats an egr delete? Will have to get some photos up when im on the pc tomorow, ive tried using my phone and it didnt work lol

·
Registered
3,437 Posts
Well the EGR stands for Exhaust Gas Recirculation, its a valve that allows exhaust gasses to go back into the intake system and into the engine.

Running problems can occur when this becomes faulty, and they can get clogged up and restrict the amount of intake air getting to the engine.

They are fitted to reduce NOX emmissions, however they are not needed to pass an MOT.

The delete is basically where you remove the valve and put a straight through pipe in, blanking off the exhaust to intake outlet on the exhaust manifold.

Quick search on here will help.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ahh thanks for the help, been looking on good old fleebay and some come with breather tank, do you actually need it? My engines got the cover on it so i dont know if it would actually fit with the cover...

·
Registered
390 Posts
I'd be straight on the EGR delete if I was you. My car was standard when I got it and I decided to clean the EGR valve out. Once it was refitted on the car and I drove it I couldn't beleive the diffrence in performance. It didn't take me long to fit one of the Allard EGR Delete kits. Not looked back since.
Also the Allard turbo pipes are a nice replacement for the standard plastic ones. They look nice in the bay and seems to make a slightly better noise when ur pushing the wind through them.
Then there's the Carbonio induction. Makes the car sound sort of like darf vader I've had loads of people coming up to me and saying your car sounds awsome. I find that a compliment considering it's a deisel.
Miltek decat none res for me next. Can't wait to see what it sounds like and it should spool up a bit sooner.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
yh im thinking egr delete, just got to get the money together then it will be on! think im getting the sfs stainless/silicone pipework that goes from the egr to the intercooler cause my plastic pipe that meets the rubber pipe has split!!! so managed to fix the problem by 'bodging' it sort of haha

carbonio induction? how much are they? yh im thinking of getting a cat back zorst off the good old ebay, oval exit tho!

when you fitted the egr delete did you get the breather tank aswell?

gotta get my coilovers next tho, at a stretch the sfs kit and at an even more of a stretch the egr delete lol dont you just love cars!!

·
Registered
390 Posts
My engine bay fizzy.
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Lol ignore the old man swilling some ale down his throat

I can't remember how much I paid for my carbonio but Awsome GTI sell them. There not the cheapest one to buy but I love the sound mine makes.
I'm not too sure what you mean about breather tank. I think you may mean a catch tank. If you do then no you don't get it in the kit as you don't need it.
I not really up to date with catch tanks.

·
Registered
952 Posts
You dont need the breather kit but for the extra (which i think was £20) i thought it was a worth while mod to do.. After all the vaporised oil from the crankcase is still going back into the intercooler system which will in time clog up the internals.. Just thoughts anyway.. And the allard kit fits all under the cover so no modifications are needed to the cover to get it to fit!

I bought both (altho not got around to fitting them just yet)

I also there are some folks on here that have put together and sourced some good parts to make up a hard pipe kit for the PD130's with yours being a 150 is not the same as you have a FMIC.. we have the SMIC..

·
Registered
390 Posts
Yes. Sounds like a worth while mod then. I think il look into getting one. I looked into the Allard catch tank but they was a bit pricey and I heard they was a bit of a pain to empty.

·
Registered
952 Posts
Yes. Sounds like a worth while mod then. I think
il look into getting one. I looked into the Allard catch tank but they
was a bit pricey and I heard they was a bit of a pain to empty.
They was if you bought them separate but i did the ebay deal which i thought was a bargain price for what they was charging on there own website

In all honesty, you shouldnt need to keep emptying it.. its mostly vapourised oil.. however.. if you was that bothered about it.. i guess it could be possible to drill, tap and affix some 1/4 turn adapter onto the bottom of the tank. OR just buy a generic one and make it fit under the cover :) The PD130 is a different tank the 150 one..which was slightly cheaper and painted black.. the 150 was chrome iirc

If its the PD version diesel, doesn't it throw an engine code?
This depends on the year of the PD.. After 2002 iirc it effects the CCM not finding the EGR vacuum but i'll just wait and see if it does it or not.. Theres plenty of threads about it on here.. :)

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
yh i think im definately gunna get the egr delete, would rather keep the engine cover on though.... anyone know where i could get a generic tank from?

and im torn between getting the sfs pipe kit or the allard, obviously the allard would probably be better but the sfs is cheaper! think its going to cost me about £230 for the sfs but then ive got to buy the delete! is the allard kit easy to fit dave-t?

will probably be spending about £450 on payday at this rate!!!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts