Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
6,626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For me it has to be Norton Internet Security suite which came preinstalled on my Vaio notebook, every day without fail, I get endless pop-ups asking me if I want to allow LiveUpdate to do its thing (and the options are only ever "Allow once" or "Block once" - how stupid is that?!), and now it's nagging me to renew my subscription as well. I'm surprised I've kept it this long and not uninstalled it - I've done so on every other notebook I've set up for customers and friends and replaced with AVG, SpyBot, Ad-aware and ZoneAlarm.

Useless, irrirating piece of annoying thing [8o|]

·
Registered
5,039 Posts
My WLAN Just Not Working even though all the options are configured the same as the rest of the PCs on it [:'(]

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
I hate when you go to do something simple like open windows explorer, and even with no other progrmams running it will decide to take a minute or so to open. why?!?!!! aaarerararagahagahghghhhh!

·
Registered
6,626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I was going to say, in this age of multi-GHz computers, Windows machines that still cannot operate in real-time. I'm particularly impatient with computers and when I'm on-site doing a job, if a machine is really slow it totally winds me up when the machine can't keep pace!

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
it is surprising that pc haven't got as fast as they should be with the actual speed increase

i suppose its the age old issue of faster games console but the games ALWAYS need to load for ages

·
Registered
6,626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The next computer I build for myself is going to have to have RAID. I don't care much for PC games or gimmicky features now (there was a time when I spent every weekend tweaking some microscopic detail of my PC, benchmarking, then grinning like a madman), and while my current PC has been rock-solid, it is starting to creak with age. I want more performance and ultra-stability, so a mega phat PSU and UPS will be on the list as well, and severe forced cooling of the hard drives. It's going to be over-engineered even more than my current machine was at the time I built it.

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
yeah my next pc is gonna be my best yet...i want to use the best processor and graphics card (or 2) i can and probably use watercooling (on processor, chipset, graphics cards and hard drives)

and try to keep it really tidy (keep it empty of crap)

·
Registered
3,956 Posts
Printers; why can't they have a "Forget right NOW what your doing and stop" button.

Booting up; why why so long, why can't the machine load just what it needs and then add stuff when apps start.

Shutting down; ditto

'CTRL ALT DEL' with end programme now option; why does this work instantly ?

Windows updates; the latest one did not give you the option of restarting later and kept asking youevery 5 mins.

Last of all; how quickly it all goes out of date.

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
Printers; why can't they have a "Forget right NOW what your doing and stop" button.
they take like an hour to even realise you've pressed a button or something and then another hour to figure out which one you pressed

Booting up; why why so long, why can't the machine load just what it needs and then add stuff when apps start.
that is so true and affecting me recently...pc seems to take over 4 minutes untill i can actually use things like IE and MSN, i've moved over to hibernating cos it works so well in the car

·
Registered
6,626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I've been running Windows 98 SE since April 2000 (without a single rebuild) because it boots quicker than 2000.

·
Registered
3,956 Posts
Seems these days although PC's are super quick, there is little difference in overall speed due to the massive increase in system overheads that are ALL loaded despite weather you need them or not.

You can edit out what gets loaded, but i'm not clever enough.

·
Registered
6,626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Microsoft waffles about XP being the fastest version of Windows yet, but the base requirements are higher... It still ain't fast enough. Current hardware has developed to a staggering level compared to only a few years ago, there's no reason it shouldn't be much more responsive than it is. So the solution is to throw even more hardware at it.

·
Registered
4,628 Posts
The problem with PCs nowadays seems to be that to get maximum bang for
your buck, you've gotta match components so carefully. So if you
really *ARE* that serious (like shimuing sounds [:D]) then you've gotta
a) build your own, b) know how many pins every damn PCB has on it, and
c) match everything up.

Time money and accuracy. I gave up building my own when I started
noticing this about 18 months ago, cos if you got it slightly wrong,
the games would go to pap, explorer would hang, and you'd have your gfx
card talking in japanese to the mohterboard to talk to the cpu in
german.

Getting to the point where I can't be bu...jiggered any more!!

C

·
Registered
586 Posts
OMG, this thread is this long and no one has YET mentioned annoying Flash adverts? You know the ones. Its the ones that automatically sit on top of the webpage you are accessing and the cheeky blighters make sure they make the 'Close X' as small as possible or make you spend about 30 secs finding it as its not obvious. Its the industry way of getting round the pop up blockers as its technically not a pop up. Think they call it a hover. aaaargh, darn you Flash designers. [:p]

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
At first, I wasn't too knowledgable about PCs but I took a gamble and
built my own rig. I did the research with help from my mate (he's
into servers blah, blah) and computer forums. As a result, I've
learnt a lot about internal components and XP, I could most times sort
it out myself without resorting to e.g. PCWorld and pay for their silly
charges.

·
Registered
602 Posts
When i use one at work all day everyday and the damn thing goes wrong and you have to spend a whole day phoning a helpdesk in Bombay. And they keep telling you to reboot your pc which on the slow network we have at work takes half an hour during office hours.

The fact the cant speak or understand english properly combined with a satelitte delay on the phone makes it next to impossible to give or recieve any technical information.

getting angry just thinking about it

·
Registered
5,829 Posts
When i use one at work all day everyday and the damn thing goes wrong and you have to spend a whole day phoning a helpdesk in Bombay. And they keep telling you to reboot your pc which on the slow network we have at work takes half an hour during office hours.

The fact the cant speak or understand english properly combined with a satelitte delay on the phone makes it next to impossible to give or recieve any technical information.

getting angry just thinking about it
Ditto.. the fappin' unhelpdesk at work !

You ring up and the message says "We are currently experiencing problems with server x,y,z etc.. we do not have a resolution time on this."

So, basically, you know there's a problem but you can't be arsed to decide when you might be able to sort it ! Why not just deny all knowledge and not bother with trying to decide on a resolution time ?

Our windows explorer like interface for our document management system here... dear god it is slow. Makes me want to gnaw off my hands and then to top it off.. if the program crashes, it's so closely integrated with windows explorer that it shuts damn near the whole machine down so you have to reboot in the end.. [8o|] [8o|] [8o|] [8o|] [8o|] [8o|] [8o|] [8o|] [8o|] [8o|] [8o|] [8o|] [8o|] [8o|] [8o|] [8o|]

1 - 20 of 20 Posts