Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just joined up (considering an R32) and wondered (genuinely not a wind up) what makes you guys buy a golf?

I can understand R32 owners, they are getting a reasonably priced (now anyway) 4WD, 3.2 V6 motor that looks great, has all the bells and whistles and will either cruise comfortably or tear around with the best of the bunch in it's price range [:D]

The only one of the new MkV I can see the point in buying is the new GTi TD [:I] .. people want a nice, quickish car that's good on fuel and does not have that many competitors that I would consider (maybe Leon, new Focus TDi).

Don't see the point in the rest (and that's petrol GTi included [:O] ) .. and I suppose that mainly comes down to looks, price and performance (not image).

There are so many other cars out there that are better looking, as well built, perform better, cost MUCH less than the new Mk V so I am trying to figure out what gets you guys to buy a Golf?

I'm guessing it's perceived build quality or probably resale value [8D] .. come on guys persuade me you are making the right choice [:)]

TheRealist.

As an aside, I like the new petrol GTi a lot (I guess this will be the most argued for one in here [;)] ) .. however from some angles (rear 3/4) it's hardly any different from the 1.6. I'm sure the new 2.0 FSi turbo engine will be great and it'll be quick enough .. but the price is astronomical for a FWD car that doesn't look that special and when specced up must be hard to swallow. I had a look at a new Scoob the last day (MY05 now out) .. interior wise it's a big step up and almost matches the Golf, it's far quicker, has 4WD - good in our weather in Scotland but the image puts me off. If you are not too worried about that though it's really a no brainer [:p]

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nice pics.

Hate to think what all those mods does to your insurance premium.

I do think Mk IV are nicer looking than Mk V.

So your bought yours as price+extras sold it. Can't say that about new Mk V's though?

TheRealsi.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I used to have an MY00 scooby, reasonable insurance for me ..

.. BUT when you ask about increase in wheel diameter 16->17 that

was about ?150 quid, you're looking at another ?100 odd for lowered

suspension, you've changed the induction and have a custom 3" exhaust

which would likely add another ?100 odd or so + extra bodykit I can't

see how it costs you nothing ! Unless I missing something or you have

a very understanding insurance company.

Not my business really but I hope you're declared all your mods or

you're driving around in an un-insured car!

TheRealist.

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
I bought mine 'cos of the blend of build quality, price, economy and 'upgradeability' of parts from other models in the range. What other car/range gives that blend - not much really!

All my mods are OEM and could've been spec'ed when new... ;-)

I should point out that I had a budget (at the time) of ?8k

Your comments on the MkIV strike a chord with me - sorry folks I really can't see the point in buying a Golf for ?20k (no, not even an R32) when you look at what could be bought for the price, all sorts of shapes and sizes from a 911 Carrera 4 to a BMW 330d. We all have our reasons for choosing the cars we've got, please don't take this as criticism, just my 2p.

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
I think that the Mk IV has more character than the Mk V but the Mk V is a better car.

Declared all my performance mods to my insurance company and it's not cost me anything extra. Dealt directly with the MD who is very understanding and reckons that he assesses the driver and his record more than the car [:I] says he taking a modest bow.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks Guys ... only 3 people though!

pope1 that's a good result .. wish all insurance companies had the same opinion and policy [:)]

Still don't have a particularly great answer, didn't really know that the upgradeability was

so good .. makes me wonder why they're not better specced up in the 1st place though!

Glad RichardW agrees with me, 20K for a golf is getting crazy money unless you are offering

a nice V6 AND 4WD.

TheRealist

·
Registered
689 Posts
upgradeability of parts and power [;)] very tunable engines in the vag range.

Dont think its one thing, really. Its a combination of the product, quality, price etc.

Its fair to say that for a little more you could have an audi, but if we had fords/vauxhalls we'd be saying for a little more we could have a dub. If we had audi's we'd say for a little more we could have a beemer.

You'll see a few people who vave a vw as its the best they can stretch to, when they've had it a few years and are earning a bit more etc, they get an audi. Kinda like the property ladder. Why have a semi? cos its better than a terrace, and one day i'll have a detached.[:)]

·
Registered
36 Posts
I bought my MK4 because I'd always wanted a Golf GTI. I've had it from new and not had any problems with it. I knew I was buying a car with a reputation for build quality and holding their value.

I couldn't justify spending that amount of money on an R32 though. There are other cars that come into the equation.

The same applies for the new MK5 GTI. To have the new car with the same spec as I bought mine with, it will cost me just short of an additional ?5000. I think VW are trying to cash in on the GTI badge. Unless they come down in price, I won't be buying one.

Jay

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Cool .. some good answers and it's good (R44MS K) that you also have an understanding

insurance company. It's definitely the exception rather than the rule.

I can understand that a Gold holds it's value well. I don't think anyone can pretend

that VW now have a reputation for build quality any better than Ford, Vauxhall etc etc

even the materials they now use are comparible .. just look at the JD power survey.

Sure if I had 13-14K to spend I'd be looking at a Mk IV Anni or a GT TDi amongst

other things. I did see a specced up MkV TDi for over 21K the last week .. I'm

sorry but that's just stupid money ... 17K maybe now we're talking.

TheRealist.

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
Quote: posted by col.mc on 22/10/2004 10:20:22

upgradeability of parts and power [;)] very tunable engines in the vag range.

Dont think its one thing, really. Its a combination of the product, quality, price etc.

Couldn't agree more!

Quote: posted by col.mc on 22/10/2004 10:20:22

Its fair to say that for a little more you could have an audi, but if we had fords/vauxhalls we'd be saying for a little more we could have a dub. If we had audi's we'd say for a little more we could have a beemer.

I've got a BMW and have had an Audi and a couple of Mercs so to retain that feeling of quality I chose a MKIV. to clarify my other comments, the other cars I was looking at when I bought the Golf were an A4 TDi (A3 5-door was too expensive), Passat TDi, or a C-Class CDi. All of which turned out to be too big for my needs. Whilst there's a number of dynamic deficiencies in the MkIV I chose one because it 'ticked all the boxes' for me.

What other ?8k 45mpg, 5-door hatchback could be compared to, and have similar build quality to those cars....?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Richard W .. I see the sense with what you did. You have a budget of ?8K and

the golf ticked all your boxes. There's not a lot in that price range to

compete .. a Focus TDi is a better drive but it's not got the image/resale

value (although I'd argue the build quality isn't far off).

I suppose I was mainly wondering about new Golfs. Maybe I need to clarify, if

I had 19K burning a hole in my pocket what would make me go buy a 1.9 TDi Se

with a few extras .. I just dont see the logic it's a massive amount of cash

for what is basically a mundane-ish 5 door hatch??

I do like Golfs and am not here to be a troll just don't get it I suppose.

TheRealist.

OH I drive a '99 1.8T Quattro Sport A4 (35K miles). It's quick-ish, has great

grip, quality interior, Bose Sound system etc etc and cost me ?14 when I bought

it 2 years ago.

·
Registered
586 Posts
Wow, proper discussion time.

Well I only bought my MKIV secondhand and that was about 2-3 years after it came out (got it for 9K). I mean mine new at the time would have cost me about 15K and although nothing compared to new MKV prices, I still think it was expensive for a car in the same sector as a Ford Focus and Vauxhall Astra. But I drove all 3 and in terms of interior, there wasnt much contest as the Golf looked like it lifted its interior from a class above. At the time, the Golf had the BEST in the class in terms of interiors, and everyone else then followed suit which is why now the new Golf interior doesnt seem that spcial anymore as even Ford materials have become better (I mean the Mondeo is very well built)

Generally I loved the look of the MKIV and some of its styling cues were very innotive at the time. Take the headlights for example. Its been copied to death since. OK so the MKIV is starting to look increasingly dated (none more so than the rear end and lights) but it was a true class leader not in terms of handling (I think the Focus out handles it) but in terms of build quality. 3 years on and I still enjoy getting into the MK4 as its a good all round package. I bought a TDI at the time because I needed the economy doing 1000 every 2 weeks!

Would I pay 20K for a new Golf MKV? No. 15-17K Maybe. But then again, I have a certain rule where I wouldnt buy a brand new car anyway because of the initial depreciation.

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Well I paid ?17,100 approx for my MK V people said I was stupid.. and yes i may be... but Its a much nicer place to be than my previosu focus...I reciently drove 250+ miles down to enfield in it and i only stopped once to go to the toilet and was traight back in her and I got out nearly 4hours and one M25 traffic Jam later feeling fresh and awake... unlike the focus where I got out aching etc...

I see the golf the next step up for me... hopefully my next car will either be a fast golf (GTI.. R32 if it happens) or a audi, BMW etc! Its just the next step in the ladder for me!

Chris

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks for the comment, some BB's could do with a bit more discussion rather than oooh I've just

bought a 1.65 Type-Highline Diesel (and a list of mods like Aluminium Tax Disc Holder, Bee Sting

Aerial) for ?25K and a reply oooooh it's so great.

The answer at the mo basically seems that if you're buying a nice 2nd hand motor then a Golf

is up at the top of the list for build (Mk IV anyway) and quality. It was far enough ahead of

it's competitors build wise and interior wise to make up for any handling, driving shortfall.

The MkV however is not build any better, the material isn't any better, it's outhandled by

a lot of it's competition and to top it all it's expensive when specced to a typical owners

preference. So I fail to see what's driving people to buy one.

The only reason I can come up with is image, they can't be seen in a Ford/Vauxhall which

is a pretty poor reason if I'm correct [:(]

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Also I didnt want to lose 50+% of its value in two years like i did in my focus!

I know I will lose Value etc and the Options i specced were a waste of money but hopefully I wont lose that much compared to the focus / Astra etc

Chris

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
cjp2k .... well done for being honest .. 17K for a 1.6SE 5 door is a whole heap of money!

All depends what you are looking for, you wanted a comfy car and if your still young the insurance on a GTi maybe sways the decision process a lot.

I can't argue that a Golf holds it value better but as the competition has caught up I don't see the unique selling points thats the Golf had still being relevant. It maybe is for some people as they think back to 5-10 yrs ago and still think that's what a new Golf represents .. (and I don't think it does).

I paid 3K less for a 4 door A4 with cruise-control, electric recaro seats, 180BHP, 4WD, fantastic build quality and interior, 210 Watt Bose sound system etc etc ... OK it wasn't new (was ?28K new!) but tell me I'm driving/sitting in a poorer car?

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Yeah I was wanting a GT TDI but nearly ?2500 for insurace was a no no... I am paying about 900 on the SE so thats y i did it.... and i wanted the toys like xenons!

Chris

1 - 20 of 40 Posts