Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need to get some new tyres, so have done a bit of digging and came up with a few:

SP SPORT MAXX 205/55 ZR16 91W Rim-protection

Posted Image

?66

EAGLE F1 GS-D3 205/55 R16 91W BSW

Posted Image

?63

SportContact 2 205/55 R16 91W

Posted Image

?70

PROXES T1-R 205/55 ZR16 91W Rim-protectionleiste NEW,

Posted Image

?81

Thoughts on the above choices please??

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
I can only tell you how pleased I am with Goodyear Eagle F1's in both wet and dry conditions.

In fact I'll be getting another four on Saturday, wouldn't contemplate any other tyre.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Eagle F1's look great on a good set of alloys. There my first choice and so far have performed well (wet and dry) on my 18"s.

·
Registered
29 Posts
If it's Dunlop's your after - come Sunday Kwik-Fit will be doing 25% off.

I should know - I buy all the tyres for KF in the UK.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I can only tell you how pleased I am with Goodyear Eagle F1's in both wet and dry conditions.

In fact I'll be getting another four on Saturday, wouldn't contemplate any other tyre.
How about wear factor, are they a hard enough compound to give good mileage?? Also are they a good price(above).

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
How about wear factor, are they a hard enough compound to give good mileage?? Also are they a good price(above).
Im replacing after 10K though I don't drive like a granny.

Not sure on your price though as I use a different size.

·
Registered
5,829 Posts
I wouldn't go with them if you do lotsa miles. They are a super performing and handling tyre, just not particularly long lasting. you can feel they are quite soft when you handle them. However, the tyre is the only thing sticking you to the road, so I think it's worth the extra cost for that extra grip.

I have the continental sportcontact on the back of mine and they are more hardwearing. Not that bad handling, just not as good as the goodyears. They have lasted maybe twice as long as the goodyears ? So, for more mileage and if your not too bothered about having the utmost performance and handling, then go for the conti's. I have some of the toyo's waiting to go on my new rims too, but can't comment on those as not driven them (yet), nor the dunlops.

·
Registered
2,174 Posts
Depends how you drive[;)] If you pussyfoot around you'll probably get 20k or more, but drive properly and you're looking at 10k[;)] My last F1's lasted 10k and the ones I have on at the mo have been on for 8k with a reasonable amount of tread left in them.

Out of the above tyres I would go with F1's with Toyo's a close second.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So it looks like F1's are the most favoried tyre choice when it comes to performance!!

Cheers for the replies, now i need to find my credit card...........

·
Registered
6,626 Posts
I have the continental sportcontact on the back of mine and they are more hardwearing. Not that bad handling, just not as good as the goodyears. They have lasted maybe twice as long as the goodyears ?
Could that be because you have the Contis on the back? I've got SportContact 2 all round fitted at the same time and the rears look practically new after nearly 10K compared to the fronts which are about half worn.

·
Registered
5,829 Posts
I have the continental sportcontact on the back of mine and they are more hardwearing. Not that bad handling, just not as good as the goodyears. They have lasted maybe twice as long as the goodyears ?
Could that be because you have the Contis on the back? I've got SportContact 2 all round fitted at the same time and the rears look practically new after nearly 10K compared to the fronts which are about half worn.
I should imagine your right S.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Had Toyos T-1S on my last Golf (1.8T) pretty good tyre especially in the wet. Got about 15k out of them. I would imagine the new ones (T1-R) are better.

For an experiment ran GSD3s on my TDI 150. Great tyre in the first 3k miles then went off seriously badly only lasted around 10k. The initial performance was awesome definately stick to the road. Wet weather performance was not as good as the Proxes.

Now running Conti Premium Contacts (Budget/ Normal Tyre). Grip definately inferior to the F1s, not surprising but they have been very consistent over the last 12k and look to have a good bit left in them. In fact apart from a slight squeel under load I can't tell the difference between them and a set of bedded in F1s.

Unless you want "The look" I would not recommend the F1s. I am going to go for the Conti Sport Contacts next time.

Also if you want good fitting/ zero hassle try Kwik Fit mobile. Probably not the cheapest out there but the service is best I have experienced.

·
Registered
10,630 Posts
So is there a general opinion of the mile you
should expect to get from a set of F1`s ? ie 10k,13k,15k or more
?
I got 21k miles from my original Michellin Pilot Sports, which are
regarded as naff and too hard/no grip - hence that's why they last so
long...

So far I've covered almost 17k miles on my F1 tyres, and they should
stretch to over 21k at the current rate... so with regards to
tyre life, yes they can last a long time - Im suprized myself actually.

I do notice that they wear down very very quickly if the roads are hot
(summer's day for example) and u give it some REAL stick - drifting
round, sliding etc. These tyres do not last long if u give it
some stick when it's hot!

Given the choice, for my next set of tyres I'd probably go the same again.

Im happy with them

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
So far I've covered almost 17k miles on my F1 tyres, and they should
stretch to over 21k at the current rate... so with regards to
tyre life, yes they can last a long time - Im suprized myself actually.

Given the choice, for my next set of tyres I'd probably go the same again.

Im happy with them
Nice bit of life there, not a bad investment then. Will probably get
mine at the weekend as they are down to the limit now and sliding all
to easy round the corners if you give it only a little bit of
stick!(lots of fun for me[:D])

1 - 20 of 26 Posts