·
Registered
1,794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

Please could you post:

a)What car you have

b)How many miles it has covered

c)How many miles the service indicator is reporting to a service being required.

To access the service display:

Turn on your cars ignition so that all the lights are on but engine not started.

Press and hold the trip reset button (0.0) for about 2 seconds. The miles to go followed by the number of days to service is shown.

·
Registered
313 Posts
This is quite a coincidence. Just got back from the dealer who checked my service regime setup.

I suspected it was set to fixed as the days to go was a Calender year and the mileage was constanlty reporting that a service was required in appx 9000 miles.

They agreen it sounds like it is set to fixed and would change to variable for me, but when they checked this morning it was alreadys et to variable??????? I cannot re0check the mileage/days readout as they have reset the counter so I just have 3 "---" when checking.

[:(!] On a poorer note, I had also arranged for them to set the auto-lock feature, reduce the lights left on time function, and to check if the lowering of the passenger mirror is possible when reversing. - Apparantly they need to get the correct codes for these function? it will take a hour plus? and they will charge me[:O]

Waiting for the sales guy to ring me back, when we can 'discuss' this charge issue.

·
Registered
109 Posts
- Mk5 2.0 GT TDI

- 10,000 miles covered

- 7,500 till next service

I did have to put 1/2 litre of non long-life oil when the oil warning light came on a few weeks ago - this may have knocked it down slightly.

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Mine is now at 1300 miles and the service indicator is saying service due in 3700 miles. It looks like the service interval is stuck at 5000 miles so I've booked it in to be checked out in a few weeks time.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Mileage Done 9,600

Mileage Left 11,300

Days Done: 223

Days Left: 750 approx (Cannot remember exactly)

Also managed to put 1/2 l of non-longlife oil in but this still seems to think its on a 20k or 2.67 year interval ;-)

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
hmmmm!!! Dunno if mine can do this, how you guys checking how long you got left? Mines a W reg? Anyway, 101,000 miles and 9000 left till service cus I only got it done a couple of weeks back. 2.0 GTI

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Quote: posted by horatiog on 09/11/2004 14:30:05

Mileage Done 9,600

Mileage Left 11,300

Days Done: 223

Days Left: 750 approx (Cannot remember exactly)

Also managed to put 1/2 l of non-longlife oil in but this still seems to think its on a 20k or 2.67 year interval ;-)

Good on the mileage front but I thought you had to have it serviced after two years max? Brake fluid certainly needs changing after 2 years.

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Quote: posted by W36 EJO on 09/11/2004 14:46:20

hmmmm!!! Dunno if mine can do this, how you guys checking how long you got left? Mines a W reg? Anyway, 101,000 miles and 9000 left till service cus I only got it done a couple of weeks back. 2.0 GTI

I posted this to find out how new mkV cars on long life (variable) servicing were shaping up.

You appear to be on a fixed servicing schedule which is no doubt correct for a car built in 2000.

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Quote: posted by W36 EJO on 09/11/2004 15:11:16

ahhh, my apologies!

Sorry, didn't mean to make you un-welcome [:I]

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I got my service indicator reset yesterday, the service guy thinks they made a mistake at PDI and set it to fixed intervals of 5000 miles. Hopefully they have done it right this time!

It hasn't covered enough miles yet to calculate how far to go as it is saying ---- miles to next service at the moment. I will be keeping a close eye on it to see how it's going.

·
Registered
643 Posts
I'll have a look on the way home - should get to about 1100 miles by the time i get back tonight - I'll post if it's showing.

·
Registered
643 Posts
1.9TDI

1121 miles done

8200 miles to go or 361 days

·
Registered
313 Posts
Had mine reset to variable at around 2,000 miles. Have now done 3,500 and suggests a service will be required in 15,700 miles.

I am not sure that having these reset takes into account the previous mileage - i.e. 2000 miles in my case. I reckon it just resets the counter as if a service has been carried out.

The dealer told me the 'sensors' would know that the oil has not been changed and would calculate as if the car was new - MMmmm not too sure me self

Butcher ----- Your's is not set to variable

1 - 20 of 41 Posts