Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, was looking under my bonnet as i have just bought new bulbs and looking if i could install them without removing the bumper, when i came across a plug/connector that is disconnected, its beside the windscreen washer bottle, its still disconnected as im not sure what it is? i have posted a pic, please can someone advise me what it is and should i plug it back in? it seems to run under the front bonnet and past the catch that holds the bonnet down.

thanks

Noel

Posted Image

Posted Image

·
Super Moderator
50,205 Posts
If it looks like it's never been connected because the contacts inside the housing are all green and corroded,then it is probably for an option your car doesn't have,especially if everything you know about works ok.Do those two connectors actually fit together,as they look different,or is that just the odd perspective of the photo?

Chris.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks for replying gents!

I have not connected the two together, but i think they would fit! the lights in the car work and so does the leveling from inside the car! It just give me a bit of cause for concern, so you think its probably an extra feature that my car doesn't have. it doesn't have the winter pack, so might i have something to do with this, im off work again tomorrow so will try and get better pics tomorrow.

Cheers

Noel

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
such a tease...GO ON CONNECT THEM SEE WHAT HAPPENS might give you an instant 200bhp lol ;)

bit stange how its zip tied to the car in view.vw wouldnt install extra cable like that..maybe its for headlight washers? have thay been removed in thepast do you know if its had a new bumper without them.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I agree........ go on.... connect them and see what happens?!!!

You never know... the passenger ejector seat might start working [;)]

If it was me.... i'd have connected the two - just out of curiosity

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
or if you connect it herby mode will kick in..before you know it the car is taking over your family and maybe even the street...

·
Super Moderator
50,205 Posts
I reckon it's the mythical "Dealer Bypass Module",that is normally left unplugged by the dealer,and the connectors hidden well away from prying eyes.If you plug them back together again,the "DBM" will be made active again,and you'll have at least two million trouble free miles of driving bliss.

Chris.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
LOL @ Imagewerx, you guys are a bunch of nutters lol

Still toyin with the idea of connecting them together! You never know it might be a cloaking device lol

Never though this thread would have got so much attention.

Cheers

Noel

·
Registered
728 Posts
Just connect them!  They are obviously ment to be together!  Clean em up and shove em together, whats the worst that could happen??

·
Registered
470 Posts
It looks like the connector for the bonnet switch for the alarm to me, but I could be wrong. Mine has a bracket which hold the connector to the slam panel in the same area as that and I can't see the bracket on your photos.

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
hehe haha this thread , im loving it [:p]

·
Super Moderator
50,205 Posts
It looks like the connector for the bonnet switch for the alarm to me, but I could be wrong. Mine has a bracket which hold the connector to the slam panel in the same area as that and I can't see the bracket on your photos.
That's the wrong type of connector for that,it doesn't have the inline style like that on mine,just one connection at the switch,I think the wire is brown/red?

Chris.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Update

I still have not mustered up the courrage to plug them together until i find out more. I have 2 part numbers which i managed to get from both ends, which are:

6HO971921C

1JO973302

If anyone can shed more light on this i would be extremely appreciated. Hopefully the pics below should help

Thanks

Noel

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

·
Registered
628 Posts
6HO971921C protective cap(this is not the part number of the connector).however,this cap is used in differnt places depending on model and year

e.g diesel injection harness,distance sensor,auto headlight leveling,oil level sensor,washer bottle level sensor,auto pilot self drive system(when fitted with satnav)

1JO973302 part number not recognized

my guess is it may have been fitted with xenons in the past.think your dealer can tell from the vin no if it was as an option when first purchased.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts