Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It drives me up the wall, I clean polish it.... and still SWIRLS in the sun.

Any idea??

·
Old Skool UK-MKIV member
1,594 Posts
What if you want to do it by hand, are there any products that are good as I have some light swirls in my paintwork.

·
Registered
5,827 Posts
What if you want to do it by hand, are there any products that are good as I have some light swirls in my paintwork.
I'd try poorboys ssr2 or for deeper try megs scratch-x. I have both and will bring them with me to the next meet. We can try 'em at your gaffe if we have time. Saves you buying a whole tub if you don't need to do much.

·
Old Skool UK-MKIV member
1,594 Posts
What if you want to do
it by hand, are there any products that are good as I have some light
swirls in my paintwork.
I'd try poorboys ssr2 or for deeper try megs scratch-x. I have
both and will bring them with me to the next meet. We can try 'em
at your gaffe if we have time. Saves you buying a whole tub if
you don't need to do much.
Nice one Dan, cheers mate[;)]

·
Registered
3,596 Posts
It helps if you dont apply/remove the materials in a circular motion, where do you think the swirls come from, I know its the "natuaral" way to do it.

You should use a motion which follows the flow of the air over the car,

eg, when doing the bonnet, go forward/backwards. or the sides, do it in a horizontal manner.

[:)]

·
Registered
5,827 Posts
for deeper try megs scratch-x.
Dan, is this better than ( say ) T-cut ? I have a nice scratch ( not DEEP, just annoying ) thats about 2.1/2 ft long down the drives door and I wanna cover it up.
Yeah. It's not as aggressive as T cut damian. I'll bring it to the high beech meet with me. If your there you can try it if you like [:)]

·
Registered
424 Posts
It helps if you dont apply/remove the materials
in a circular motion, where do you think the swirls come from, I know
its the "natuaral" way to do it.

eg, when doing the bonnet, go forward/backwards. or the sides, do it in a horizontal manner.

Jace Jace Jacccceeeeeeeeeee tsk tsk tsk sorry but thats a load of
monkey droppins, if that was the case why do orbital buffers spin in a
circular motion ???

Unless of course yr refering to using a compound on a rag with yr fingertip ? in which case would produce small swirls...

I can see im gonna have to keep me eye on you [:p] ...

·
Registered
3,596 Posts
It helps if you dont apply/remove the materials in a circular motion, where do you think the swirls come from, I know its the "natuaral" way to do it.

Jace Jace Jacccceeeeeeeeeee tsk tsk tsk sorry but thats a load of monkey droppins, if that was the case why do orbital buffers spin in a circular motion ???

Unless of course yr refering to using a compound on a rag with yr fingertip ? in which case would produce small swirls...

I can see im gonna have to keep me eye on you [:p] ...
Maybe your right [:^)], all I know it works for me, & I have ZERO swirls [Y]

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Oh know, just when I thought it was safe squky clean is back!! just kidding....

Jace's advice RE direction of cleaning or application is sound IMO. For example when using a sponge if it does indeed create swirl marks on the paint then they are not going to be "against" the natural lines of the car and thus intern not be noticable as much.

Also due to physics its pretty difficult to create a polisher that works effectivly in an up and down motion.

When you paint a house with a brush or roller you dont do it in a circular fashion do you? as it would look shlt. Orbital polishing is the preffered way I assume because it gets the best results and nothing has been developed to challenge that. Even when applying any sort of polish by hand the advice ALWAYS on the bottle is to apply in a fore and aft motion, this is not the case in an orbital sense because of the machinery involved and because the orbital polisher can better regulate the speed and pressure applied.

Just my ?1.50

·
Registered
6,626 Posts
Six of one, half a dozen of the other really. Either way will create micro-scratches in the paint if you over-do it and/or use a harsh compound or dirty applicators. Orbital gives you swirls, fore and aft gives you streaks (especially at the beginning and end of a stroke depending on how you apply pressure), at the end of the day you're rubbing the paint however you do it. The polishes and waxes I've used advise to apply in circular motion then finish in straight lines. I've always used circular, with constant, light pressure (rather than linear start/stop with pressure changes).

·
Registered
4,190 Posts
orbital polishers aren't strictly orbital, they are RANDOM orbital.

the nature or circular polish application will give swirls.

but as said above, the fact you are rubbing your paint will "mark" it to some degree.

even waynes (a8wpg) and mine have "mirco" scratches in the paint, as we examined them in the carpark lighting at freeport.

·
Registered
424 Posts

but as said above, the fact you are rubbing your paint will "mark" it to some degree.

even waynes (a8wpg) and mine have "mirco" scratches in the paint, as we examined them in the carpark lighting at freeport.
Sorry without sounding arrgumentative (spelling) a random Orbital
polishing machine is totally different to an Orbital machine.......yes
they are 2 different machine and have 2 different uses... But im not
going to argue at all[:p] just giving my ?2.00 worth...

·
Registered
424 Posts

Sorry btw you and wayne need to lemmie work my magic on yr cars to
truley remove all micro scratches.... you wont see em under xenon
lighting let alone car park lighting[:)]

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Yes, Escy is right in as much as we both had very very slight swirls
here and there, these I am pleased to say have long gone, on mine anyway[;)]

However, whenever I have seen these before on the paintwork I found
that they do dissappear with the next polish. i.e. another wash &
polish as soon as poss. I use a circular motion and always by hand.

I am very very particular about when polish too. I never do it
if the paintwork is in any way warm or hot, always in the cool shade or
garage. I think warm paintwork is more likely to mark with polishing
when warm etc than when cold.

It may be coincidental but since I have been using P21S canauba I have found the swirls to be non-existant?

Got my photoshoot for VW Driver on Sat, so hopefully no swirls!!!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts