Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
can anyone let me know what the term 'Phat' or 'Phatness' means when refering to the Golf, and post any pics of the look?

·
Registered
990 Posts
Basically you fill your rear arches with the widest possible rim/tyre. In my case 8.5x18 and 255/35's[:p]

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Basically you fill your rear arches with the widest possible rim/tyre. In my case 8.5x18 and 255/35's[:p]
Thanks DC, can you post some bigger pics, and have you modded your rear arches at all?

·
Registered
8,293 Posts
would 9.5x19 on a 265/30 tyre be too wide? [:p]
It's been done but needs arch work. The other problem is the rubbing. It'll melt, wear and , tear everything including the tyres. And ride quality will be cack.
Baz

·
Registered
6,626 Posts
Wasn't it the remake of Shaft, with Samuel Jackson, where one of the gangstas says, "You play golf? Golf is phat..." [:D]

·
Registered
64 Posts
if you have these fitted let me see[:O]
here you go [:D]

Posted Image

not a good photo of it but look at the difference in the dish on the front and rear of the car.

another better pic:

Posted Image

@ baz, yep the back arch will rub on the wheel, it happened in mine but that was only i put in a massive sound system. it was alright before i done that.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
PHAT to me does not relate to the Golf...IMHO it usually transposes to any of the following:
  • I am a lemming and use the word coz everyone else does and it is deemed to be cool
  • I am a TW...... and do [email protected] things to make myself or my possessions to make them look unique, or should I say uniquely crud.
  • I just cannot spell...
PHAT = CHAV to me!

·
Registered
8,220 Posts
I dont know, Phat usually means its Bad, Sick, Cool, Gorgeous, Brilliant, Excellent or any of the other millions of words that mean the same thing.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I dont know, Phat usually means its Bad, Sick, Cool, Gorgeous, Brilliant, Excellent or any of the other millions of words that mean the same thing.
you forgot 'awsome' and 'wicked' thats what my 14 year old says now and again when something 'coolest' happens[:$]

·
Registered
990 Posts
Thanks DC, can you post some bigger pics, and have you modded your rear arches at all?
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

These are old pics and only one's I have at the moment. The rear arches required no modding. Even with passengers and luggage in the back, I get no rubbing whatsoever.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts