Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I see many references to a W8 light but don't know what it is - anyone have a photo or explanation?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
Got one of these in my Gora.  Its the interior light from the Passat W8.  Its has buttons instead of a slider to operate the lights and the main feature is two wee red LED's that shine down the dash and give a lovely red ambient glow when driving at night.  Lovely little mod.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Sounds like a good mod to me!!

Any ideas if they are a straight swap with the original mk4 & where you can purchase them from?

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
Yeah straight swap with a bit of additional wiring needed, but no real biggie if you follow the how to on Foxy's web site.  I got mine straight from the dealer with the additional wiring for around ?30 about a year ago.

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
Sounds quality, do you have any pics?
Sorry mate, no pics of it as I normally forget its there until I switch my lights on. But the post by David is the guide you need. Excellent mod for less than ?40.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Give Shaq (Kool VW) a shout he'll do you a good price.

One tip be careful when you remove the old one.....make sure you leave the metal trim in place in the headlining and ease the W8 light into the trim.

R

·
Registered
46 Posts
It was a straight swap size wise for the original in my mkiv cousin........think some wiring was played with....

if you have a mkiv, an interior light i am sure its ok, the only time it may not work is if your switches for the sunroof are in the same unit as the light..........but i cant see how that would be.

almost forgot. i got mine from vw dealer.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Hi all

does the W8 light come in black withe sunroof bit?
sorry they don't...... only grey or beige

lots of people have tried to make one of their own but I dont know how successful they were

R

·
Registered
504 Posts
I love my W8 light - and one of the easiest things to install - aprox 30 mins. Would reccomend everyone going out and getting one of these. It's great at night and not too over-powering at all - never really notice it! but others do.

If anyone has or knows anyone that has done the blue LED mod to this and got it working can you PM me please....and have tried Foxys guide and can't get it working.....Thanks - sorry for the Hi-Jack

1 - 19 of 19 Posts