Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello.

May sound a really simple question to most of you but what is a Golf V5?? when engine comes with one of these?

GTI (Red i) means Turbo 1.8 20v 150bhp

GT TDI - Turbo Derv with sports kit 1.9 2.0 etc 110 130 150

GTI (silver) 2.0 16v 180

R32 - Well 3.2 v6 ;-)

so whast teh V5??? Id love to know is it a petrol or derv??

Thank you

·
Registered
829 Posts
A 5 cylinder engine is meant to optimise the balance between the low internal friction of a 4 cylinder with the 4's inherent vibration issues and the higher internal friction (which robs torque) of a 6 cylinder engine and a 6's natural smoothness. Done well, you get the best of both worlds , torque at lower revs as per a 4, and the power delivery and smoothness of a 6.
Taken to the next level - it's one of the reasons that the current F1 engines are mostly V10's.

I think the VW V5 is based around the same construction as the VR6 - i.e a single cylinder block with a narrow angle V format to the cylinder bores and a single casting for the cylinder head.

A 5 will make a great exhaust note, really distinctive.

·
Registered
100 Posts
150bhp version has HT leads running over the top of engine cover.

170bhp version has coil packs so no HT leads

I still miss our V5. The engine note was lovely and it was a very flexible engine. Such a shame that VW (or is it emissions laws) have killed the engine. Only available in the Beetle now and probably not for much longer.

·
Registered
122 Posts
150bhp version has HT leads running over the top of engine cover.

170bhp version has coil packs so no HT leads

I still miss our V5. The engine note was lovely and it was a very flexible engine. Such a shame that VW (or is it emissions laws) have killed the engine. Only available in the Beetle now and probably not for much longer.
o..i see, just wondering what is HT leads? is it whose red spark plug wire?? or something else??

how come VW killed the V5 engine! it smooth like hell! i love the engine sound when i hit 4000- 5000rpm! but anyway my V5 is in service now...[:(]

·
Registered
436 Posts
i thought the red i turbos were all 180 bhp and all the chrome gtis were 150bhp
Hmmm.... and this is relevant to V5's in which way? [:D]

Sarge
GTI (Red i) means Turbo 1.8 20v 150bhp

GT TDI - Turbo Derv with sports kit 1.9 2.0 etc 110 130 150

GTI (silver) 2.0 16v 180

R32 - Well 3.2 v6 ;-)

so whast teh V5??? Id love to know is it a petrol or derv??

i was reading the first post if you wanna know and thought id ask as was told by several people that red i turbos were 180bhp so keep your nose out wasn't askin you anyway,

1 - 17 of 17 Posts