Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to get rid of my standard rims!!! I have heard of people with 18/19s with 50-60mm drop but what does this do to the handleing of the car and the praticality of the car ??

Any one got any bigger wheels or an outrageous drop??

Would smaller wheels and a huge drop be better to carry out , or massive wheels and not such a drop?

What set up do u guys have ???[:D]

·
Registered
832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
oh and sorry one more Q.... is it best to buy exoensive wheels such as BBS (drooool) or cheapy replicas (audi style)?? Because i can get 19inch cheap replicas for the same price as 16-17inch BBS'?

will the cheap one be absolute poo or are BBS (example) just over charging?

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
Two words

Big and Low. Well actually thats three words but you get the picture.

Seriously though, do you want to go for looks only or do you want to keep some handling?

·
Registered
832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
what is it like over speed bumps and stuff is it a 1mph jobby and a huge que of traffic behind you ?? or is it not too bad.

big and low sounds good dude shame bigger wheels are loadsa money thou [:^)]

What do u think is the biggest wheel size and drop you could go without any/major arch work ?

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
You can go 19s without arch work but their going to cast you. Get yourself a set of coilovers then you can set the height to whatever your comfortable with.

I'm running 18s with around an approx 50mm drop and can drive over speed bumps without slowing to 1mph.

Halfords are running a 20% sale on all alloys they sell at the moment, or check Ebay lots of 18s and 19s on there for resonable prices

·
Registered
832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
zekegti so do u think 19s are not worht the trouble, i jus come from a mk2 clio with 17s and oh my god never again i dont want to EVER have arch/wheel scrubage like that ever again!!!! LOL damn there goes my idea of 24inch chrome spinners on my golf[:p]

·
Registered
832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
zekegti so do u think 19s are not worht the trouble, i jus come from a mk2 clio with 17s and oh my god never again i dont want to EVER have arch/wheel scrubage like that ever again!!!! LOL damn there goes my idea of 24inch chrome spinners on my golf[:p]

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
Lots of members are running 19s with no problems. You will need a pretty stiff suspension set up. If you don't mind a harsh ride then go for it.

I have a family so wanted the looks and comfort otherwise i would have gone for the 19s aswel.

·
Registered
832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
i love hard suspension makes it feel super sporty lol ! so if i had 19s wha kinda drop could i expect

so ur a dad... wish my dad had a revo [:(] lol

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
Again consider the coilovers. Then rather than restrict your ride height to a measured size you can just lower to suit you

·
Registered
832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
oh yer forgot u said that, not payin much attention am i lol. they cost a lot more thou than springs thou dont they ? but yer like u say they are a lot more versitalie, u got any idea on a price for coil overs?

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
If you want to go lower than 30mm with springs then you will need to upgrade the shocks aswel. This is going to cost you around ?300-?400. FK highsports are around the same price

·
Registered
832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
OW!!!!!!!! didnt think i would be spending over 150 pounds, pooo! and 30mm drop on 19s is a bit of a laughin stock! Out of curousity why do the shocks have to be upgraded?

·
Registered
638 Posts
Before deciding on a set of wheels, well buying them anyway, work out how much the tyres are going to cost as well. 19" tyres may be 300 a piece, 18"'s might be 150. Worth researching a little.. And the other point to make here is buy good quality rubber, afterall, its the only thing that keeps you truly on the road.

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
Before deciding on a set of wheels, well buying them anyway, work out how much the tyres are going to cost as well. 19" tyres may be 300 a piece, 18"'s might be 150. Worth researching a little.. And the other point to make here is buy good quality rubber, afterall, its the only thing that keeps you truly on the road.
That was one of the reasons i went for 18s. With 200+ bhp i seem to be going thru tryes [:$].

Tyres for 19s are between ?150-?300 each. 18s are ?80-?150 big difference

·
Registered
593 Posts
Just another option - I have a set of 17'' Santas and some Koni Coilovers. A reasonable drop (dont as me how many mm!) and the ride is fantastic, sticks like s**t around every corner and is still very comfortable. Cheap tyres too! [:)]

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
I run 18s and a 30mm drop with bodykit and I have to be careful on speed ramps, and that is without side skirts.

Personally I don't subscribe to the lower the better as the front wishbones can end up at silly angles - but each to thier own.

The other thing to watch is that the sump is easy to crack and so the lower you go the greater the risk.

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
Im running 18's on an unusually lower tyre size of 225/35/18 as opposed to the normal 225/40/18. The car is decked at the front, and not far off at the back. ~On normal roads I have no problems whatsoever, but with speed bumps I have to be mega carful. The 4motion is a different setup, and the sump is a helluva lot lower, so IMO if you have a 1.8T or Diesal, you will get away with it better. I get no scrubbage or rubbing whatsoever, even when cornering hard.

As it happens I am gonna lift my car slightly, just to add a little practicality (only at the front)

The joy of fully adjustable coilovers.[:p]

·
Registered
832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
tyres are how much on 19s?! think im gonna stick to 18s then, and possibly only a 30mm drop, as the shocks have to be uprated if you go any lower, does anyone have any info on this? ie wha wood happen if i did go lower, ect

1 - 20 of 29 Posts