Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What indution kit would you guys sugest for a r32 mk4 golf? ive been looking at k-a-n pipercross and EIP what doese every on else think? i dont want to loose the nice V6 sound I have now though.

·
Registered
339 Posts
I've seen a lot of posts flying around about smoothing the airbox. Do a search and this should show you what to do. I've been meaning to give give mine ago when I get chance & can be bothered putting the effort in.

·
Registered
764 Posts
Personally i would go for the eip one, like i have, with the air bypass. Just simply becuase of the weather we have in this country i wouldnt want to risk getting any water into my engine.

hth

andrew

·
Registered
405 Posts
Can only go on experience with my old VR6 but filters that sit in the engine bay suffer from the heat soak and dont really work that well. Apparently they are not too kind to the MAF either. The noise actually got annoying after a while.

The cold air induction kits are better but they can suffer from road grime more and there is the chance of hyraulicing (sucking up water) the car. Expensive as well!

Modified airbox, probably the best and cheapest option. I smoothed my airbox last week, easy if you just snap of all the ribs and give it a quick tidy. I did this on my old VR6 with a cold air feed from the front bumper and it was the best. Theres a guy with a turbo'd V5 pushing out ~400bhp with a smoothed standard airbox so they are more than capable of taking the induction pressure.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
i would go for carbonio for the build quality and the carbon fiber option and it looks nice. get one second hand if you can, i really cant justify why CAI cost around £200+ it is an absolout ripoff. i bought one second hand which costed £100 shipped and that too i think was pricy! all it is is a cone filter and a cabon fiber moulded tube. how the hell do they justify the price lol! i had to hack 1/3 of mine off too so it would fit with my current gt28 eliminator setup.

myk3

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I do like the look of the k-a-n typhoon kit though doese anyone know if there any good and are they loud? i dont want to much noise

·
Registered
2,174 Posts
I've had no problems with mine. It's not loud, but when you blip the throttle quickly you can hear it. It's not noisy whilst driving though. Here's a pic:

Posted Image

·
Registered
6,626 Posts
I've had no problems with mine. It's not loud, but when you blip the throttle quickly you can hear it. It's not noisy whilst driving though.
Mine's only noisy when I want it to be [6] - but as Claire said, in normal driving you wouldn't know. However, it always manages to tempt me to drive that bit harder than is strictly necessary, just for the soundtrack [Y] Oh, and the chuckle it gives me when people think I have a turbo, PMSL.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Ive fitted a few cone filter to VR's in the past and always taken them off after a couple of weeks. They are just a little too noisey. Something like the BMC is probably better but if its noise you want then go for the cone filter.

Does anyone have any proof (RR graph) that once they added an induction kit it actually increased power/torque?

·
Registered
220 Posts
I would recommend a BMC CDA i have one of my V6 and its not that loud at all- i have had open cone air filters before and they are loud and have had a carbonio on my golf turbo and that was loud too!

although i now have a milltek and you can't hear the induction kit at all!!![:D]

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Just orded a carbonio from awsome gti ill let you know how i get on fitting it chears every one.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks for yor help everone attemted to fit it my self but got very fiderly, so I got big boys toys to fit it and they done a great job! it sounds awsome and the car has a more pull now very chuffed :)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts