Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1141 - 1160 of 1167 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Fitted my GTi pedals so took the opportunity to remove and clean the throttle body at the same time. This is what 140k miles of carbon build up looks like
bcad34c62e7e292c9b1e83b64b65d3ee.jpg
ab65a88f4f120b3681ba9bf1a9d38bed.jpg
caa87c5fd394b8ce00dd0603490d6b07.jpg
cac78ef858bf436f7922b809088a5400.jpg

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
146 Posts
Well done! How much did you advertise it for and where?
had it up for £950 as a start price on ebay, would of liked a bit more to cover costs of the new car and reserve was set at £1300 but got fed up of repeated " I'll give you £250 for it and collect in an hour " type offers so let it go on end as it had been advertised once already and i wasnt paying another £17 to ebay for the privalidge

bloke was alright who bought it so its going to decent home

on one hand it was a half decent comfy motor and has got me to work and back for the past 2 years and all over country but on flip side its cost me a fortune in parts to keep it on the road so im glad to see back of it

·
Registered
51 Posts
Replaced second rear wheel bearing on the Ed30 to finally lose the chinook noise in the boot and replaced the high pressure fuel pump cam follower. No idea if it had been done before but only had a very slight amount of wear so doubt it's done the 83k on the clock. And then to celebrate went out and gave the beast a damn good thrashing.
Still don't know how fast the old girl will go as I ran out of safe space.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Just had the OSR caliper replaced as the handbrake mechanism packed up again. Paid £85 for a refurbished caliper including fitting. The other side was replaced nearly 2 years ago. Bloody rear calipers on these are terrible because of the handbrake.

·
Registered
4,574 Posts
Let me know price on skirts as I will buy today If that's the price! Front badge is a twist and pull technique if I'm correct? There's 3 clips u need to twist one way or the other then pop the clips out
On my 07 1.9tdi the front badge has no separate clips, they're moulded onto the back and when it's fitted to the grille they lock in place.

To remove I had to jam the handles (rubber clad) of a pair of pliers into the slots and then with a bar or beck screwdriver in the open Jaws twist the badge anti-clockwise 45deg which snaps the locking lugs and the badge can be removed

To refit insert the badge 45deg anti clockwise and then turn it the same right to a 12 o'clock position. It's on a bayonet so it won't fall out but it won't hold due to the lock lugs being snapped so you need to use a blob of hot melt glue or caulk when fitting to hold in place

Without this it is easily removed by a thief or it can rattle round and fall out.

Sent from my PRA-LX1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,574 Posts
Coldest day of the year so far - 4.5C jumped in my 07 1.9tdi and it started 1st turn after the glow light extinguished but then threw a stop-check coolant message and dash light.

Stopped and checked and the level was only marginally below minimum and as I had a meeting to get to I continued my journey. The light and message extinguished part way and never returned over three restarts till I got home.

When I changed my coolant 18 months ago after a run the level dropped to the min line (presumably as air in the system escaped) but I left it be and the level never changed.

I can only think that the extra cold weather was just enough to reduce the water volume enough to trigger the light. Think I'll just add a splash of pre-mix coolant tommorow.

Sent from my PRA-LX1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
530 Posts
Fitted my GTi pedals so took the opportunity to remove and clean the throttle body at the same time. This is what 140k miles of carbon build up looks like
ab65a88f4f120b3681ba9bf1a9d38bed.jpg

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk
Just cleaned my throttle body today. The pics above from previous poster was exactly what it looked like on my 1.6 FSI.

I did clean it a few years ago, although that time I made a huge booboo and tried to clean it without removing the TB. On the 1.4 / 1.6 FSI DO NOT EVER spray cleaners onto the TB whilst still on the car. It will send all the muck collected from EGR valve into the intake valves and engine. When I did this it idled very well but under load it was pinging a lot more.

This time around I took TB off and cleaned it properly with TB cleaner. Engine runs slightly better but my error from the first time has permanently clogged up the intake and no amount of cleaning will fix it unless I get it wallnut blasted or have intake valves cleaned.

·
Registered
616 Posts
As I've finally managed to get some photos of the car whilst reasonably clean I thought I'd do WHYDTY Mk5 in the Last Year

Purchase price was £2000 for a 100,000 mile 04 reg 140 TDI

Wheel have had a quick refurbish as they had a bad case of white worm. Front wing has also been replaced, as well as the diver side door lock module. Front drop links replaced. Silver Smoothrite paint for the callipers.

Front grille changed to black and a misty headlight polished up. Philips Vision Plus bulbs for main, dip and side lights. Also for Puddle lights.
K+N filter

Badge was suffering white worm so replaced with a Mk4 badge I had. Rear lights lightly tinted with film. Fog light swapped with Euro reversing light and red LED. Mesh clip-in sun shades

LED display swapped as it was fading in hot weather. Window, lights and CD switches replaced with chrome trims. Cherry red hazard from China. GTi-style aluminium pedal covers. Black rear view mirror. Foot well lights in rear. USB socket in centre console

·
Registered
2 Posts
just killed my 2007 2.0 SDI - spun No.1 main bearing.

Crank and block U/S main cap too heavily worn. Journal - well not much left!

Engine ran fine with a small knock, took the sump off to investigate and found nasties.

·
Registered
4,685 Posts
just killed my 2007 2.0 SDI - spun No.1 main bearing.

Crank and block U/S main cap too heavily worn. Journal - well not much left!

Engine ran fine with a small knock, took the sump off to investigate and found nasties.
Change oil, filter much?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
193 Posts
With the MOT in a couple of months, thought that I should bet some of the advisories cleared up. Mate did the work inc replacement CV gaiter which had failed, & replaced the lower arms & bushes. It hasn't had the tracking done yet, but the self centering is much better.

http://48024355472_1ffef87a53_k.jpgNew Suspension by Paul Burgman, on Flickr

·
Registered
7 Posts
Replaced old leaking air con condenser, replaced old air con hoses, fully fixed air con, ready for summer!
dae7ed485dc0366dd24c7d16b62e73f4.jpg

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5 Posts
Well .
I bought the car under a week ago and so far have ordered
. Front shocks and springs
. Rear springs
. Passenger side window regulator
. Four speed blower resistor
. Front bumper
. Bonnet strut

Of this the blower resistor has yet to arrive .

I have also changed the cabin filter and what an easy job that was compared to the last car.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
193 Posts
Put mine through an MOT this morning, pass with only observation was brake flexies will need replacing soon. However, perversely 2 hours later it throw a defective bulb warning, just glad it was post MOT!

1141 - 1160 of 1167 Posts