Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My first post :)

Recently purchased a Bora Sport 150 with about 70k on the clock, totally original with 17 inch Long Beach alloys (think that is what they are called lol). Have now noticed a metallic rattle from the bell housing when the clutch is out and the car cold.

From investigation I suspect the DMF so my question is what happens when one fails? I have read everything from "it just rattles all the time" to "it trashes the gear box " and even that it achieves some from of flux capasitation and transports me back to the 1980s !!

Can someone with first hand experience comment on what really happens when one of these fails please. Other than this I could not be more happy with the car.

Thanks

Ian

·
Registered
6,746 Posts
Depends on level of failure i guess.

No one should be leaving a dodgy DMF untill it totally destructs.

Welcome to the DMF failure club.

·
Registered
8,098 Posts
Depends on level of failure i guess.

No one should be leaving a dodgy DMF untill it totally destructs.

Welcome to the DMF failure club.
As the man say's. Don't wait until it completely lets go or you will be sourcing a new flywheel and gearbox!

I changed mine at 135k after a remap. It had signs or wear but still had life in it. I didn't want to take the chance!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys. I was hoping it might last until about 100k so I can just do the flywheel and clutch and then hopefully not need to worry about either.

From reading the Haynes I think I will just change it myself. My Dad is an engineer so we have changed out gear boxes.

At the moment when the car is warmed up I cannot hear it at all so I will just monitor it and if it starts to get worse I will change it out. I tend these days to drive with economy in mind due to doing rather a lot of miles per year so hopefully taking it easy will prolong the lifespan of the DMF.

Cracking looking Bora there Pete by the way :)

·
Registered
8,098 Posts
Thanks guys. I was hoping it might last until about 100k so I can just do the flywheel and clutch and then hopefully not need to worry about either.

From reading the Haynes I think I will just change it myself. My Dad is an engineer so we have changed out gear boxes.

At the moment when the car is warmed up I cannot hear it at all so I will just monitor it and if it starts to get worse I will change it out. I tend these days to drive with economy in mind due to doing rather a lot of miles per year so hopefully taking it easy will prolong the lifespan of the DMF.

Cracking looking Bora there Pete by the way :)
Cheers ian

As long as you do not thrash your car (ie grand prix starts) it should do you a while yet!

·
Registered
6,746 Posts
Same here Pedro im on 124k miles, was remapped about 10k ago and im in early stages of DMF failure now. Signs of wear but i still have life in it.

Next month it gets replaced with SMF and new upgraded clutch ....... i dont even want to take the chance with new DMF, i have a lot of plans for the future of my golf [:D]

·
Registered
8,098 Posts
Same here Pedro im on 124k miles, was remapped about 10k ago and im in early stages of DMF failure now. Signs of wear but i still have life in it.

Next month it gets replaced with SMF and new upgraded clutch ....... i dont even want to take the chance with new DMF, i have a lot of plans for the future of my golf
Good stuff mate. We'll be looking for a true accurate report once you've fitted the smf and added some mileage to it![Y]

·
Registered
6,746 Posts
Ian stay away from heavy acceleration from low revs in like 3rd 4th 5th 6th ..... this is what puts most strain on the DMF, i believe this is the main cause of DMF failure in the 1st place....... lazy fast driving (easy to do in the diesels).

·
Registered
8,098 Posts
Ian stay away from heavy acceleration from low revs in like 3rd 4th 5th 6th ..... this is what puts most strain on the DMF, i believe this is the main cause of DMF failure in the 1st place....... lazy fast driving (easy to do in the diesels).
Good shout[Y]

·
Registered
6,746 Posts

Next month it gets replaced with SMF and new upgraded clutch ....... i dont even want to take the chance with new DMF, i have a lot of plans for the future of my golf
Good stuff mate. We'll be looking for a true accurate report once you've fitted the smf and added some mileage to it!
For sure i will report on it (once i have bedded it in properlly), i will report on the quaife diff thats getting fitted with it at the same time [<:eek:)]

This forum has been very helpfull to me so far, the information here is priceless, direct from the people with the most experience ... free of charge!!!!

Its only fair to give something back if i can, i will report on everything that may be of interest or helpfull for others [Y]

·
Registered
3,172 Posts
To answer the title

on start up they rattle and then noise dis appears

on start up they rattle briefly, but normally loud

they can rattle on idle,then depress the clutch and noise goes, this is due to load coming off it and the dmf turning without the weight of the clutch/dis engaged etc

remember the dm was designed to cope with the torque a disesl produces, so eventually the dm will give in due to the engine design, i have yet to see one break a box but am sure they are capeable of doing so.

If you are in doubt change it

Prevention is the cure, which is what i keep trying to teach my customers

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks again everyone.

I tend to drive like a granny 95 % of the time and a loon the rest, guess its full time granny from now on :)

Still thinks an awesome car anyway.

·
Registered
8,098 Posts

Good stuff mate. We'll be looking for a true accurate report once you've fitted the smf and added some mileage to it!
For sure i will report on it (once i have bedded it in properlly), i will report on the quaife diff thats getting fitted with it at the same time

This forum has been very helpfull to me so far, the information here is priceless, direct from the people with the most experience ... free of charge!!!!

Its only fair to give something back if i can, i will report on everything that may be of interest or helpfull for others
Good man

1 - 13 of 13 Posts