Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Diesel isn't a dirty word
11,031 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to change the oil in my gearbox and I've been looking arround for prices on the oil but I'm unable to find a definitive answer on oil grade...

From Opie oils - 75W/80 fully synthetic

From Autodata - 75W/90 fully synthetic

From VW - Who knows?? but the part number is G 052 171 A2 at about £17 per litre and I need 2.3L so 3 bottles [:S].

The part numbers for the plug and sealing washers:

Plug: N 902 154 03

Seal: N 043 809 2

So if anyone knows the correct grade of oil for the ERF 02M 6 Speed gearbox can they let me know [y]

Cheers

Neil

·
Registered
2,895 Posts
I still have a bottle in the garage, so will have a look on it for you when I get back home [y]

(Unless of course someone else supplys you the information first).

·
NooNoo
9,450 Posts
In my 02J 5 speed the oil was dirt cheap from TPS / dealers. The 02J takes just over 2 litres so it's a little unfortunate you have to stray into 3x 1litre bottles.

Do not buy anything else but the VW stuff, it's not 'normal' gearbox oil, it's extremely thin. At the price also it's a no brainer, get the genuine stuff, it will cost you less.

Think it was about £4.50 a litre, so £15 buys more than enough.

Ensure you can remove the filler plug before removing the drain plug...

[:)]

·
German Engineering at its Best
682 Posts
for normal road conditions the opie option or a decent oil from the likes of ecp will do the job.

if driven hard i recommend castrol taf x as used in the BoW and my G60.

JJ

·
11,031 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
In my 02J 5 speed the oil was dirt cheap from TPS / dealers. The 02J takes just over 2 litres so it's a little unfortunate you have to stray into 3x 1litre bottles.

Do not buy anything else but the VW stuff, it's not 'normal' gearbox oil, it's extremely thin. At the price also it's a no brainer, get the genuine stuff, it will cost you less.

Think it was about £4.50 a litre, so £15 buys more than enough.

Ensure you can remove the filler plug before removing the drain plug...

If it was £4.50 a litre I wouldn't be asking - I'd have done the job already but at £17 and change a litre I thought I'd weigh up the options. The 02J oil is a different part number to the 02M and is a third of the price [:(]

for normal road conditions the opie option or a decent oil from the likes of ecp will do the job.

if driven hard i recommend castrol taf x as used in the BoW and my G60.

JJ
Cheers JJ, so go with the 75W\90 grade over the 80? is that what grade the Castrol taf x is?

Neil

·
German Engineering at its Best
682 Posts
yes the TAF X is equivalent to a 75w90 just that it is a bit more stabe under extreme heat.

btw the taf x is only £9.00 from opie per litre with the forum discount.

JJ

·
Registered
2,895 Posts
Ah, sorry Neil...I now understand why you were querying the grade of it... [:$]

(Stupid VW, dont put that information on the bottle!)

·
11,031 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
It is really easy to do, on the bottom of the box is a drain plug, just undo it and drain the oil then refit. On the front of the box is another plug, remove this and fill the new oil through this hole until it just starts to overflow, the fill level is at the bottom of this hole. Fit plug and job done [y]

Just make sure the car is level when doing it [;)]

·
Registered
3,346 Posts
02M is the transmission, do you know your gearbox code? it will be on the data sticker in the boot. If your car is a six speed it should be the same oil as mine which is an 02M ERF gearbox [y]

There are two types of filler plugs fitted to the Golf not sure which one you will have:

Posted Image

Here is the VW guide for checking the level

Posted Image

You can see the drain plug in the pictures on the bottom of the box [y]

·
Registered
3,437 Posts
Easy job to do... but can I ask how long ago you got the quote of £17 a bottle?

I recently carried out 3 box oil changes on VAG cars, and all the oils were around £4-6 a litre. My 130PD 6 box included. (Is FMH box I think.)

1 - 20 of 29 Posts