Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I put a deposit down on a 2000 model 1.8t 5door gti in black, and was wondering what model engine it was most likely to have. It was registerd in 06/2000. Will the car be a drive by wire model

I'm paying 8k for it and its got 40k on the clock. Is this a good price?

Cheers

muzzy

·
Registered
3,756 Posts
Sounds like a good price to me. I think it'll me than likely be an AGU, did you notice is there was a throttle cable going over the inlet manifold?

·
Registered
3,756 Posts
My AGU is totally stock hardware and has REVO software and I would think it's about the figure that you have quoted.

For more you will need, CAI, exhaust and a bigger turbo [:D]

·
Registered
703 Posts
At June 2000 it could be an early drive-by-wire engine (mine was). If it has the later Montreal 2 alloys (not the earlier flat 10 spoke wheels with centre cap) then it is probably the later dbw model with ARZ engine code. The easiest way to identify the dbw engine is the EPC light on the instrument cluster when you turn the ignition on.

Chris

·
Registered
3,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
yep its got the Montreal 2 alloys on.

If it is an ARZ engine can this only be chipped up to 196bhp, and not 210 like the aum engines?

·
Registered
3,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
been looking on jabasport to get these figures (208-211bhp).

I take it these figures are not chip only ?

Is your 188bhp chip only ?

·
Registered
539 Posts
Basically a 1.8T with a chip will be around 190-200 BHP.

Differences can be accounted for by less aggressive maps and minor faults on cars and different rolling roads.

Rolling road variations are huge, I would reckon budgeting in 10 BHP between some!!

Mine was 190BHP see my torque curve,

Mine is an AGU, non-dbw, 1.8T, 1999. But I've had a code upgrade and would expect 200BHP now. Hope this helps you out matey!!

Posted Image

·
Registered
539 Posts
oh, and I would always go for a serial map like Revo...

Having the benefit of switching back to standard is great for diagnosing potential problems or in poor weather conditions!

·
Registered
87 Posts
Mine is November 2000 on X plate and is AUM with DBW. It was revo'd to 209 bhp but now have 4 bar regulator and is now 221bhp and 244lbs of torque.

·
Registered
942 Posts
Quote: posted by mmuuzzyy on 14/02/2005 14:28:55

been looking on jabasport to get these figures (208-211bhp).

I take it these figures are not chip only ?

Is your 188bhp chip only ?

Mine is 188bhp and 235lbs tourque with Upsolute chip, nuespeed induction kit and N75j valve. Wouldnt read to much into Jabba's quoted figures as they vary so much.

·
Registered
703 Posts
ARZ does not have the later (bigger) turbo or the variable valve timing so ultimately it will not offer as high a chipped output as the later 1.8T engines - hence the different figures listed on Jabba's site.

Chris

1 - 19 of 19 Posts