1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Old School UkMkivs Member
2,166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Right, been to Halfrauds and got some products that are new to me, I got:

Megs Quick Clay

Megs NXT Tech Wax.

I still have some Autoglym shampoo left over so I didnt buy the NXT stuff.

Car has had a good polish in the past with Autoglym [:$] and comes up ok.

So where do I start?

Wash, then clay, then wash and chamois, then NXT tech wax sounds like the order of the day.....

What else do you recommend I get hold of? Some of this carabuna wax sounds popular or will just a coat of the Tech wax do the job?

·
Registered
3,596 Posts
sounds like you heading in the right direction [Y]

I dont know what condition your paint is in, or what you've laid down before in wax/polish terms, but I'd start like this ....

Wash with Fairy Liquid ( Original type) : This will strip most of the old wax off.....Remember to Rinse well.

The paint should now "squeeek" when you rub you finger across it.

(Future Shampoo wise, I'd save the AG for your wheels & get a bottle of NXT for the body work, its much better)

Clay the paint, only doing a panel at a time, & using plenty of Quick Detailer, wipping the excess off when the area has been clayed

Apply NXT panel by panel, the more layers you apply, the shine then becomes "wetter & deeper" I've found.

Make sure you do the same to your wheels, its amazing the difference it makes.

As for the Carnuba wax, get yourself some P21S from serious performance (10% disc), & by adding this on top of the NXT, well, just try it & you'll not look back.

2p [:)]

Remember to take a before & after pic for us all too

·
2,166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cheers Jace,

Ive only had the car a couple of months but from the look of the paint its been fairly well looked after in the past and doesnt suffer from any of the red to pink fade.

First time I washed it I noticed that it was covered in tar spots, 6 years of motorway miles doesnt help this I suppose. I loosened the majority of these up with a little bit of brake cleaner on rag and quickly rinsed the paint off after. The car was then washed with Autoglym shampoo, rinsed and chamoised. When dry I gave it a coat of Autoglym Super Resin Polish followed by a coat of Autoglym Extra Gloss Protection. Since then I have washed and chamoised her a few times and applied one more coat of Extra Gloss Protection.

I have so far been pleased with the shine acheived by the Autoglym (see the pic below of how my last car shined) but from reading here it seems like I can get better results with other products and get an even better shine on my Golf.

Posted Image

To start with you recommend washing with Fairy liquid. I can see your point as I know you should never wash with Fairy as it strips the waxes from the paint but in this case that is a good thing. Will cheap Tesco's washing up liquid do the same? Any particular fragrance?

Will the NXT shampoo really be that much better than my Autoglym stuff? I never though the shampoo contributed to the shine a great deal.

This claying sounds pretty straight forward so I'm looking forward to seeing the results from that.

Do I need to wash and chamois it again after claying?

Then apply the NXT Tech Wax, just one coat for now or keep adding layers?

And Carnuaba wax is worth putting on aswell, I have seen that there are several types that you lot use but I presume they are all just as good as each other. Your vote is the P21S.

So for a weekly wash is it better to NXT Tech Wax it or P21S it? or both, or save the P21S for a monthly application?

Sorry for all the questions but I want to get my routine right and ensure I am using the right stuff at the right time!

Lets hope its sunny at the weekend!

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
At the moment I'm using NXT wash which is really good, and then I'm using the NXT Speed detailer, although the Clearkote quick detailer from Serious Performance is better. I use P21 once a month.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
i was told by some one who works for swissol that the dest shampoo to use on your car is johnsons baby bath

i have tried it and he was right [:O]

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
alloy waxing question...

I use mer wheel wax on my alloys after claying (I use NXT on my cars body after claying).

Is NXT better to use on alloys than Mer Wheel Wax? I use this because its got a bit more
polishing action than NXT. Thoughts on which is better please...

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
It depends on how much time you want to be outside,

To start with wash and clay, then several applications of NXT followed by a coat of P21

The on a weekly basis i'd wash and NXT it or use a quik detailer, with a coat of P21 either every 2 weeks or every month depending on the weather or finances !

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Normal 'original' Fairy is good enough (not sure about cheapy ones) but
imo use what you've got i.e. Autoglym shampoo maybe wash it twice -
really thorough if you have time. The Meguiars NXT/Gold Class shampoo is good stuff and
does produce much more 'sparkle' for some reason.

After clay, you could shampoo again or just simply rinse and chamois - again, if you have time.

I would recommend Clearkote VM Glaze or P21S Gloss Enhancing Paint Cleanser before you wax.

A coat of Tech Wax should be sufficient, if you have time then add
another layer for more protection and durability. If you are happy
with the shine finish then leave it. If not, then maybe add a layer of
P21S on top or other brand of wax like Pinnacle Souveran/Megs
#16/Natty Blue and see what the finish is like.

In most cases, to produce a great shine it's the surface preparation
that's most important. Best to try out your purchases and see what the
results are before you spend anymore cash.

·
2,166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ok, cheers, I will give it a go when I get some time and we get a dry weekend.

I'll give it a couple of coats of NXT Tech wax first and see how she shines before I shell out for some P21S.

One little concern though, according to http://www.autogeek.net/mg12718.html :

'Meguiar?s does not recommend layering Tech Wax over another sealant or wax. It has slight cleaning properties, negating the effect of the sealant rather than adding extra protection or improving the visual effect.'

A lot of people on here have said to use Tech Wax weekly and P21S it occasionally, but according to autogeek.net if you Tech Wax over P21S it will strip the P21S off?

It also states Tech Wax is a paint sealant which last anywhere from 4-6months whereas a typical carnauba wax like P21S lasts only lasts 6-8 weeks. It implies that you should Tech Wax twice a year and P21S more regularly which sounds like the opposite to what most people do.

Any opinions on this?

·
Registered
3,596 Posts
You need to put the P21S over the NXT , not the other way around.

P21S onlys last that time because the carnauba wax evaporates in the heat of the sun over a period of time, the NXT is man made 7 thus harder wearing IIRC

·
Registered
117 Posts
jace i currently have swissol onyx wax on my car which i have applied and reapplied each month for about 4 months.

i am just wondering if for the winter coming up i should strip the wax
off then put on megs cleaner wax rather than megs nxt (as i was not
impressed with it on my wifes car ) before putting another coat of
swissol wax.

asking you this as you seem to know what you are doing buy the looks of your car.

thanks

joec

·
Registered
3,596 Posts
For me now in winter its gotta be the Collinite 476S paiste wax. Speak to Alex @ Serious Performance, he was doing a really good offer to members.

www.seriousperformance.co.uk

I've had a coat on for a month now, done a lot of miles, washed the car about 6times in this time & it is still almost like the day I applied it, in both terms of shine & beading.

Other than that I'd stick with the NXT, its a synthetic so its quite hard wearing too.

[au]

·
Registered
5,827 Posts
For me now in winter its gotta be the Collinite 476S paiste wax. Speak to Alex @ Serious Performance, he was doing a really good offer to members.

www.seriousperformance.co.uk

I've had a coat on for a month now, done a lot of miles, washed the car about 6times in this time & it is still almost like the day I applied it, in both terms of shine & beading.

Other than that I'd stick with the NXT, its a synthetic so its quite hard wearing too.

[au]
I think he's still doing it. I've got some coming on saturday anyway.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts